Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2022, 05:22 PM

908 posts, read 441,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If they're born in Estonia or Belarus then they are NOT Russian! I was born in Britain but that doesn't make me Scottish! And my father was a Scot!

People from Estonia ( regardless of their ethnic origin ) would tend to disagree with you though :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIwp...neymanPictures

This is an older/sadly not as informative of a video as it could be , but suffice to say that very few people in " Eastern Europe " in general subscribe to the notion that simply being born in a country makes one a member of said country's ethnic majority population .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 05:41 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
If they're born in Estonia or Belarus then they are NOT Russian! I was born in Britain but that doesn't make me Scottish! And my father was a Scot!
Well, you know the saying, "If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck!" Russians in Estonia speak Russian, not Estonian in many cases. They consider themselves Russians, and Estonians consider themselves Russians. And Russia, for that matter, considered them to be Russian enough, that they were offered the option of relocating to Russia.

Seems like an open-and-shut case, from that perspective.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:47 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Then what was the the Troubles in Northern Ireland all about? Why did Irish Catholics want to join Ireland if they were just “British”. And what about the Irish in the Ireland? Why did they secede in 1937 if they were just British? Or what about Indians (well I guess that’s not an ethnic group, so more specifically, Hindus, Punjabs, Bengalis etc.) ? They used to be part of Great Britain, were they just British too? Maybe you are right in a sense, but people don’t operate like that.

PS. How can Russian speakers in Estonia be Estonian if most of them are not even citizens? You need to be fluent in Estonian in order to become a citizen, even if you were born there.

Last edited by grega94; 09-05-2022 at 10:03 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 09:55 PM

720 posts, read 705,543 times
Does most Russian citizens know president Biden was instrumental in causing the Ukraine war by breaking the agreement we had with Russia concerning Nato and its planned advancement into the bufffer zone that most previous presidents supported until Biden?

Old 09-05-2022, 10:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Does most Russian citizens know president Biden was instrumental in causing the Ukraine war by breaking the agreement we had with Russia concerning Nato and its planned advancement into the bufffer zone that most previous presidents supported until Biden?
Umm firstly that was not started by Biden but rather Bill Clinton, and then further pushed by Bush. And secondly that argument was made by Russia, so yes Russians are well aware, they have been spreading that point every chance they get. I don’t think it’s that valid since Russia doesn’t seem all that concerned with Sweden and Finland joining. I think Russia is just jealous that post soviet/communist countries are abandoning Russia and running to the west as fast as they can. If Russian elites didn’t stuff their pockets with cash, and instead invested in the economy and building up industry and jobs, many of those countries would be more than happy to work with Russia, but as of now Russia has nothing to offer that they want. As they say you catch more flies with honey rather than Vinegar.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:51 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
People from Estonia ( regardless of their ethnic origin ) would tend to disagree with you though :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIwp...neymanPictures

This is an older/sadly not as informative of a video as it could be , but suffice to say that very few people in " Eastern Europe " in general subscribe to the notion that simply being born in a country makes one a member of said country's ethnic majority population .
Not any of the 'people from Estonia' that I've ever met! And I have worked with quite a few Eastern Europeans. Either way the FACT is that if you are Estonian you are NOT Russian.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, you know the saying, "If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck!" Russians in Estonia speak Russian, not Estonian in many cases. They consider themselves Russians, and Estonians consider themselves Russians. And Russia, for that matter, considered them to be Russian enough, that they were offered the option of relocating to Russia.

"Walks like a duck and quacks like a duck" - So you are English because you speak English and not Apache?

Open and shut case?

Old 09-06-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Then what was the the Troubles in Northern Ireland all about? Why did Irish Catholics want to join Ireland if they were just “British”. And what about the Irish in the Ireland? Why did they secede in 1937 if they were just British? Or what about Indians (well I guess that’s not an ethnic group, so more specifically, Hindus, Punjabs, Bengalis etc.) ? They used to be part of Great Britain, were they just British too? Maybe you are right in a sense, but people don’t operate like that.

PS. How can Russian speakers in Estonia be Estonian if most of them are not even citizens? You need to be fluent in Estonian in order to become a citizen, even if you were born there.
The anser is 'religion'. As for your remark concerning 'Indians' you seem to be agreeing with me are you not? It seems hard for some 'Johnny Foreigners' (sometimes even some Britons) to grasp but the FACT is that Northern Ireland is part of the UK but NOT Britain. However if you are Scottish you ARE British but you are NOT English! My forefathers come from all over Europe (like nearly everybody in England) but this does not make me French, Italian, Danish, Norwegian, Scottish or Welsh. Italian Americans are NOT Italian, Irish Americans are NOT Irish & African Americans are NOT African. The belief otherwise is something quite unique to the USA. My Mrs is black but you will never hear her refer to herself as 'African' in any way shape or form.

This reminds me of something I once read on Trip Adviser where a black woman from the US (somewhat bizarrely) voiced her concerns over being a black woman on an upcoming London trip, another lady from the US tried to reassure her by pointing out that 'she had similar concerns' before a trip she had previously made but her concerns were unfounded because, as she put it "there are millions of English African Americans already living in London!"

Did make me chuckle at the time.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:45 AM

908 posts, read 441,790 times
Quote:
Not any of the 'people from Estonia' that I've ever met! And I have worked with quite a few Eastern Europeans. Either way the FACT is that if you are Estonian you are NOT Russian.

Well it's quite likely that those people from Estonia you met were actual ethnic Estonians , as opposed to ethnic Russians , though of course it's not unheard of for people from that part of the world to identify as being of the majority ethnicity of whatever country they were born and raised in/are citizens of for the sake of simple convenience .

As an aside I must also remark that ( again with no offense whatsoever intended ) using this train of thought would logically lead one to refer to all the various ethnic groups who inhabited the Russian Empire of old as Russian simply because they were born and raised in what was Russia at the time .

Old 09-06-2022, 08:48 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Typo: the bolded should read "them", not "themselves". "Estonians consider them Russians"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe