Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02yDtqCjskE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 AM
AFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLXnwzqbUA

Old 04-25-2016, 08:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I noticed that but I don't like most of them in pictures, I would have to see them in person.

Just for comparison these are examples of buildings found in my home village. I can't live there there isn't enough to do.
Well, I assume most people don't like them, but they fulfill their purpose.
And they provide more comfort than many of those old fisherman's houses, which are not seldom very dark inside, cold in the winter, with mold in the corners :P

Yes, the islands are difficult in terms of work (I assume that is what you mean by there not being enough to do). Funchal at least has a certain size, but I would not feel well living on the Azores. The whole remoteness and island feeling is not for me :P

Funchal is nice, though:
Funchal Live webcam

Today is a holiday here, and perfect weather, around 80° and the sun is beating down, already quite strong for April :P

Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And they provide more comfort than many of those old fisherman's houses, which are not seldom very dark inside, cold in the winter, with mold in the corners :P

Yes, the islands are difficult in terms of work (I assume that is what you mean by there not being enough to do). Funchal at least has a certain size, but I would not feel well living on the Azores. The whole remoteness and island feeling is not for me :P

Funchal is nice, though:
Funchal Live webcam

Today is a holiday here, and perfect weather, around 80° and the sun is beating down, already quite strong for April :P

Not enough variety for entertainment and some amenities are also sparse I haven't even considered working there the thought just hasn't occurred. In regards to lifestyle though as an example I can tell you about a cousin of mine that lives there who is in the same field I'm in, she and her husband earn possibly 40% of what my wife and I earn however their lifestye is superior they live on a a seaside cliff with a panaramic view of the ocean and a full view of a volcano have nicer furniture and don't have to concern themselves with paying huge loads of money to provide their children with a university education like I do.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:53 PM
AFP

Quote:

Funchal is nice, though:
Funchal Live webcam

Yes Funchal is nice and they are nice people and this is quite superficial but I don't like the regional accent from Madeira. I prefer hearing the Portuguese accent more typically spoken around Lisbon and parts of central Portugal. I seriously need to brush up on my Portuguese it comes back with ease though.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 AM
AFP

Good sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g_cpU0eTvI

Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 AM
AFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQChVIcGuFA

Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 AM
AFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76aJ3b1gPU

Old 04-26-2016, 07:54 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yes Funchal is nice and they are nice people and this is quite superficial but I don't like the regional accent from Madeira. I prefer hearing the Portuguese accent more typically spoken around Lisbon and parts of central Portugal. I seriously need to brush up on my Portuguese it comes back with ease though.
Same here, I like continental "High Portuguese". The dialects from the islands, but also from the Alentejo are not for me. When I hear people say for instance falari it makes me cringe Educated people say falash, which sounds exotic somehow But I also like one of those dialects from the north, with that strong retroflex r sound, almost like when Indians speak English

Old 04-26-2016, 08:02 AM
AFP

Quote:
Same here, I like continental "High Portuguese". The dialects from the islands, but also from the Alentejo are not for me. When I hear people say for instance falari it makes me cringe Educated people say falash, which sounds exotic somehow But I also like one of those dialects from the north, with that strong retroflex r sound, almost like when Indians speak English
A little known fact also is that the Azores islands have nine distinct accents an Azorean accent doesn't exist two of them I dislike the other 7 for the most part I feel neutral about, although I have some preferences some are smoother and more pleasing to the ear.

I would place some accents from the north as close behind Lisbon and Coimbra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe