Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I see a lot of guys I think are attractive at the gym but I don't do anything about it.
Yes. This above is pretty much like me. The most I will do about it is a quick friendly "Hi" if I catch them looking at me to indicate I'm approachable. Someone I'm really interested in, I might casually cruise by the bench or corner they're doing bicep curls on and check them out for about half a minute and move on. They usually like that, and respond by seeking me out.

But I don't do ANY of this until I'm done with MY workout, because my trainer means business and wants you seroius and focused during the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
I'm more serious about working-out then most and rarely talk to anyone at the gym. Just put my ear-phones in and focus on my workout. But I'm starting to think maybe I should be talking to women there .

Usually I'm so zoned-in that I'm completely oblivious to "green lights" I'm getting. For instance, all the other elliptical machines are empty and a cute girl chooses the one directly to my left and leaves her right ear-bud off for part of the time. And I'm sure some of you guys can attest to the feeling of being "followed" by someone of the opposite sex. Meaning they pop up a few times at a machine next to you or within your line of vision. So much so that it's likely no coincidence.

I wanna hear different things you girls do to get our attention at the gym . And men too, any obvious or not-so obvious flirtatious signs you've noticed.

I'm a guy and used to be quite oblivious as well, but I catch younger women checking me out sometimes, usually from a distance though. Women that are interested will follow you around and look suspicious/guilty doing it or ask you fitness-related questions. As for the girl that hopped on the machine next to you, it doesn't really sound like she was interested but it's unlikely that you'll ever know if you don't initiate/approach. If you do, just keep it light and don't push it if she's not receptive.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
since ive been with the same person since i finished college, most of my experience is in college. i never hit on girls in the gym and none of them showed interest in me there. that was a mistake, i should have talked to them; but i was too dumb to take advantage of the situation. however, when i saw girls from the gym in bars/clubs/parties they would often say something to me about seeing me in the gym (i was there every day).

if you really want to bang a girl (or maybe even just date her maybe later to bang) the best move is to always talk them. if you wait for it to come to you, you arent going to have much luck.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the best move is to always talk them.
I agree with this. Women love communication more than big muscles.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
That was a pretty useless comment, just sayin'. OP was talking about women that work out next to HIM, not him following girls around.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This happens to me quite a bit -- I think what's going on here is that we're working the same muscle group that day. That's all. I don't think women go the gym for dates. Most women I talk to absolutely hate being approached at the gym -- they're sweaty, disheveled, etc. They're there to work out. Again, you should stick with your original game plan and go to work out too. For every one girl you approach who appreciates it, there will be 25 who don't. You will become the gym creeper.
Yeah but just about everyone universally avoids a treadmill or elliptical directly next to someone if there are others available. It's gym etiquette; and I do it myself. I'm talking a whole row of 15 or so empty machines and a chick chooses the one directly next to me. This happens happened a couple weeks back and every now and then. Unlikely someone would do that unless they were looking to get approached imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Yes. This above is pretty much like me. The most I will do about it is a quick friendly "Hi" if I catch them looking at me to indicate I'm approachable. Someone I'm really interested in, I might casually cruise by the bench or corner they're doing bicep curls on and check them out for about half a minute and move on. They usually like that, and respond by seeking me out.

But I don't do ANY of this until I'm done with MY workout, because my trainer means business and wants you seroius and focused during the work.
Swear this happens to me quite often. I commend you for actually starting the communication by saying hi; a lot of girls won't do that. None have actually said "hi" to me even when I reciprocate the eye contact/gaze or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
I'm a guy and used to be quite oblivious as well, but I catch younger women checking me out sometimes, usually from a distance though. Women that are interested will follow you around and look suspicious/guilty doing it or ask you fitness-related questions. As for the girl that hopped on the machine next to you, it doesn't really sound like she was interested but it's unlikely that you'll ever know if you don't initiate/approach. If you do, just keep it light and don't push it if she's not receptive.
Noticing this. And they barely pretend to even be working-out. Like I'm doing lying leg curls and a chick is at the chest fly machine just sitting there and doing a set every couple minutes. The rest of the time she's just checking me out... it's obvious. You know between sets you take a breather and there's really now-where else to look sometimes besides at a person (this case a girl) who's right there. They choose that spot because they known we have to notice them and look at them.

But you girls need to understand sometimes us guys are not the best at reading non-verbal clues until after the fact .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
since ive been with the same person since i finished college, most of my experience is in college. i never hit on girls in the gym and none of them showed interest in me there. that was a mistake, i should have talked to them; but i was too dumb to take advantage of the situation. however, when i saw girls from the gym in bars/clubs/parties they would often say something to me about seeing me in the gym (i was there every day).

if you really want to bang a girl (or maybe even just date her maybe later to bang) the best move is to always talk them. if you wait for it to come to you, you arent going to have much luck.
Thanks. I really should start taking advantage of this while I'm still kinda young. I'm in my 20's. I gotta man-up and approach one of these days. I'm real comfortable talking to women at clubs and bars, but something about the gym I dunno not as comfortable. Maybe cause I've never approached at the gym so it seems awkward . Either way, I'd definitely love to **** some of these women so there's no other way. This could be a good pipeline for girls as there's some real cute ones at my gym as I live in AZ .

Last edited by Billy Millennium; 04-02-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times
I don't like it when people use the gym for purposes other than working out. It's not a place to pick up chicks. It's one thing if you see the same person a lot and exchange hello's and work your way up, but I see that as more of a situation that happens naturally versus someone who goes there with the intention to try to hit on women (or hey women who go there to hit on men, guess it could go both ways). I get tired of people standing around socializing and chatting on the phone too. There's always someone on the machine next to me yapping on the phone. I'm there to do my workout and get out as fast as possible.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Thanks. I really should start taking advantage of this while I'm still kinda young. I'm in my 20's. I gotta man-up and approach one of these days. I'm real comfortable talking to women at clubs and bars, but something about the gym I dunno not as comfortable. Maybe cause I've never approached at the gym so it seems awkward . Either way, I'd definitely love to **** some of these women so there's no other way. This could be a good pipeline for girls as there's some real cute ones at my gym as I live in AZ .
that was my problem. i was happy hitting on them out in drinking places so i didnt bother working other times. but i think you will be able to set yourself for a greater % chance of nailing them if you can set something up ahead of time. so be brave and put in that extra work! it should pay dividends in the future.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I don't like it when people use the gym for purposes other than working out. It's not a place to pick up chicks.
every place is a place to pick up chicks!!!! the goal of nailing a girl is something thats privelaged and its ok to do anywhere (the talking/pre-work not the actual nailing).

Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
Quote:
I don't like it when people use the gym for purposes other than working out. It's not a place to pick up chicks.
Why is the gym any worse than Princeton for getting a hook-up?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM

353 posts, read 580,701 times
They might ask you to spot them. ( watch while they are lifting so they don't get hurt).
They smile a lot and talk.

I personally was never interested in sweaty guys at the gym, but I have seen others do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness