Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 05:30 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

I live Vans! I saw a lady the other day with a cute pair that look like Keds sort of but better. Cuter and more comfortable.

They were red and I want some! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
Well, A, B, and C.

A: Wearing some kind of low quarter shoe does allow one to carry an ankle holster.

B: If one works in an office building or other enclosed space, they should not wear nylon or polyester in case the building is on fire. 9-11 rather taught us that.

C: The thing I love about the Western style of dress is that it allows for wide brim hats which is rather wise in this skin cancer world.

Now, with such concerns in mind, feel free to dress as you like, putting reason before some outdated kind of "social sense".

Old 04-08-2017, 08:16 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,154,399 times
So, what about a 67 year old woman wearing Keds? I recently purchased a pair of Keds in carnival pink, and wore them out to dance and got TONS of compliments! And they were super comfy, something important to a dancer like me. I recently ordered a pair of Taylor Swift's "Sneaky Cat" Keds in black with the gray cat face - can't wait to get those! Life should be about fun, whatever one's age.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
no.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:18 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but hi tops are partially for ankle support for active people and people that play sports. It's not a fashion thing.

I'm a guy I don't see the big deal about women in Ked's either it's usually slender in shape women that wear them and it gives them an aura of youthfulness

I hate how people think women are supposed to cut their hair and turn into boring old hags on their 34th birthday or something.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I live Vans! I saw a lady the other day with a cute pair that look like Keds sort of but better. Cuter and more comfortable.

They were red and I want some! :-)
I have some Hawaiian print ones! I have the same print in two colors, and sometimes I mix the shoes so I'm wearing one of each.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
So, what about a 67 year old woman wearing Keds? I recently purchased a pair of Keds in carnival pink, and wore them out to dance and got TONS of compliments! And they were super comfy, something important to a dancer like me. I recently ordered a pair of Taylor Swift's "Sneaky Cat" Keds in black with the gray cat face - can't wait to get those! Life should be about fun, whatever one's age.
Hilarious! I also got pink and the Sneaky Cat's! (44)

Old 04-09-2017, 05:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?

Looking at this from another angle, there is a saying in some of the worlds I participate in:

The Fae: This is what happens when you find out that growing up sucks!

This weekend, I was able to put my curio cabinets back on line after about two years of being inactive. Does an "adult" collect figurines of especially unicorns and dragons?.......and CATS!

One of the worlds I am active in is Renaissance Festivals, that world that others might look at an say, "I gave up dressing up at 12!".

The thing is that in a world where stress kills, some of have decided to take a more relaxed approach to it. Whether it is entering into 2nd Kidhood at times or just being relaxed when there isn't a mission reason, I don't think we should so quickly jump on people because they decide not to subscribe to one's sense of things.

After all, if in anything else, ulcer treatment is expensive.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 PM

491 posts, read 474,294 times
I wouldn't consider them to be kiddie. In the 1930's and 1950's and up till the 1970's, all sneakers looked like Converses. They're classic styles that are timeless.

Skinny jeans can look good on people with skinny legs and depending on the fabric and how the pants are shaped, it doesn't always look effeminate.

That being said, both of these styles are associated with punk rock and that kind of style, so it really just depends on how you style your clothes. Just like you can't mix cowboy clothes with hip hop clothes, it's the same thing. If you wear a punk rock outfit, than you can pull off the converse and tight jeans while still looking okay, because you're matching everything with each other. You're choosing to dress more like a Tommy Bahama kind of outfit.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:50 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
While I agree with the original post from 3 or 4 years ago, let's add this: women over 21 should stop buying clothes in the junior department.

But seriously, is the fashion police going to give us an infraction if we chose to wear what we want? While I follow most of the "rules" for dressing appropriately I certainly don't look down on people who don't. Some march to the beat of a different drummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty