Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 03:56 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
I dont know what your on about..do you want to go back to the 50s when all men wore suits and no sports clothes.... some clothes and shoes are more comfy and 25 isnt anything like old.. I do draw the line at men in their 60s upwards wearing long shorts , baseball caps and caridagans wrapped round their waist or shoulders.. oh dear goodness who lets them out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
While I agree with the original post from 3 or 4 years ago, let's add this: women over 21 should stop buying clothes in the junior department..........
Depends on the woman. Some of my friends are so small, they can buy clothes in the children's department, which can be a real cash saver.

What did The Doctor say when Romana II was trying on bodies?

"Now, listen. You listen to me in there. What you want is something warm and sensible. Something that will wear well. Something with a bit of style and, well, style. You know." (Destiny of the Daleks)

Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Depends on the woman. Some of my friends are so small, they can buy clothes in the children's department, which can be a real cash saver.

What did The Doctor say when Romana II was trying on bodies?

"Now, listen. You listen to me in there. What you want is something warm and sensible. Something that will wear well. Something with a bit of style and, well, style. You know." (Destiny of the Daleks)
Seems like males and females dress in different directions. A small older woman can find "age appropriate" clothing in the children's department because there is clothing for young girls that isn't age appropriate for them.

Between my mother (who loved her hats and shoes and purses, and was dead into the Jackie O style) and my military father, my sense of style is firmly based in "situation appropriate." Service dress in headquarters, combat dress in the field, winter uniform, summer uniform, mess dress, parade.

I approach civilian dress the same way. So I wear sports shoes when I'm involved in sport. I wear steel-capped shoes when I'm doing dangerous stuff. Polished shoes when I want people to know I'm a polished man.

Someone said up above that "back in the day" nobody dressed casually, but that's not true. When people could afford it at all, they dressed for the occasion. If a man could afford to have overalls for work and a suit for Sunday, he definitely dressed differently for the occasion. The wealthy not only had casual wear, but they had different outfits for every different casual event: Tennis, boating, hunting, fishing, swimming, et cetera.

I think the problem with American males these days is that there appears to be no sense of situation-appropriateness. At some point a grown-azz man ought to realize that he shouldn't always dress like his 14-year-old son. I think our society is missing something in males never making that mental decision of "When I became a man, I put away childish things."

I have this personal ethic that if the event calls for my wife to wear heels, I should wear a tie. And a coat. And a fedora. I have about 25 fedoras, but I only wear them with coat and tie.

I've always like this photograph of a "squad" back in the day on their way to a movie:

Old 04-15-2017, 08:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Well, it reminds me of a psychology conference I attended one year. The dress was business causal. Most of the PhDs were in suits and the like but one was in boots, pale jeans and denim jacket, an open neck white shirt underneath. He was a psychologist, a grizzled older man, from West Texas and out there, I suppose that business causal for him.

For whatever reason (the heat, made his patients comfortable, it worked for him), that was his approach to how to be dressed.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:04 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
You mean P-F Flyers? Yeah they still make those. New balance bought them out a bunch of years ago.
I had PF Flyers as a kid. I'd love to see a pair today. I can barely remember what they looked like.

I also wore Pro Keds, Adidas and Pumas as a kid. I am back to wearing Pumas now. I guess I'm violating the fashion rule laid out by the OP. Write me up, Fashion Police. I like getting in trouble.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:44 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?

No. I do not agree. Converse and Vans look good on everyone. I like skinny jeans on men and women. Tee shirts with graphics or the names of bands or teams are appropriate for ... who ever wants to wear them.

I like skinny jeans on men. I thought baggy jeans were pretty much out of style, but whatever floats your boat.

I like oxfords and button down collar shirts, also. Actually, you can mix these items together! The world won't end.

Why is it bad to "look like a homosexual"? What does that even mean?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:49 PM

628 posts, read 695,895 times
Quote:

Anyone else agree?
Ha ha ha! WOW! U R so silly. People can wear whatever they like.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
I thought more about what the original poster was saying ...
I came across a few men today that made me wonder why they would walk around like they just fell out of bed.
I think it is not really so much about the specific items of clothes/shoes.... it is how you put yourself together in general.
If you look sloppy ... no one is going to take you seriously. It gives off a bad impression. No one needs to you to wear a suit or tie... clean properly fitting clothes would be satisfactory. People can wear the same item of clothes and one could pull it off well, while the other would look like a goofy sloppy bum. Case in point today ... the man on the bus. He was wearing a comic book style super hero t-shirt. As an adult you could pull this off and look trendy and not tacky/trashy and sloppy.

For example if he wore this shirt in the correct size, with a pair or property fitting jeans, property fitting leather or jean jacket and trendy sneakers this look could totally work. It could be urban, trendy and well polished.

Now this man wore this t-shirt 3 sizes too big, with fugly jogging pants with a draw string, a crust frumpy bomber type jacket and ugly running shoes.

So sorry dude even wearing a superman t-shirt your look is not hero ... it's zero.

What you wear and how you wear it completely effect the impression you make and how other people respond to you. I got to admit when they guy started to try to chat with me I was like 100% not interested investing time in talking with him as he looked like loser ( ex dead beat, sloppy, careless and low self regard).

Old 04-15-2017, 08:27 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
As if "men" under 25 invented converse or are the first people to wear Chucks. What a silly concept.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:46 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
In other words males over 25 should be just like the OP. Forget that! You sound miserable and anxious to spread it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty