Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Surprised that this old-ass thread has been revived. There ARE way too many badly dressed guys around, I'll agree.

But badly dressed to me means dressing inappropriately for the occasion, and what's appropriate is a function of not just age, but the setting, occasion, the part of the country you're in, and what actually fits (I hate seeing anyone, men or women, in badly-fitting clothes.)

All that said, there are definitely grown men around who dress like they're still in college all the time. They should grow up. Wearing shoes to the office, ditching the hoodie and t-shirt, and finding a good dress shirt won't kill anybody. (Outdoor jobs or construction work or something like that is obviously different). And it never hurt a guy to look sharp even during his off-time. Being a bit stylish can go a long way in social situations.
That line pretty much sums it up. It's all about you. People should dress in ways that please you.

Why?

Because it's all about you.

I don't own a pair of converse. But I also don't think that the attire of others revolves around my aesthetic preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:46 PM

939 posts, read 788,914 times
To each their own, but it is sort of a kooky kind of paradise, isn't it?

I mean, adults trying to look like kids, kids trying to look like adults.

For me, one of the worst "wardrobe" infractions for older males trying to look younger are shirts with horizontal stripes.

If you must wear them, pinstripes only please. The wider they are, the more...

If one's goal in life is to look younger, the *only item that truly needs to be worn is a smile (*Void Where Prohibited By Law).

Smiles that truly originate from the inside, can't help but look like a one-of-a-kind garment on the outside.

Hopefully, society will never make them go out of style.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,975 times
Dang, 38 pages of a thread to go through... Didn't do that.

But I'm 48 years old and still try to Freestyle on a bmx bike. Yeah, and I wear Vans. And I think going around in a std work Polo or Suit is REAL STUFFY. I like how Mark Zuckerburg NEVER WEARS A SUIT. Because I hated the old business standards of how a suit classifies a man and such [ yeah, they had secret codes for men's suits, I think ].

I think a person should wear whatever fashion appeals to himself / herself as an expression of themselves. They shouldn't follow trends or whatever someone else says they should wear. Follow your heart on how you want to dress and express yourself. I like to see what people wear as an expression of their total essence [style, tastes, character, ethos, interests, etc..]

Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
a suit classifies a man and such [ yeah, they had secret codes for men's suits, I think
I don't think there's ever been a "suit code", other than the fact that if you are high enough in the org chart to be raking in the big bucks, you have the option of wearing only suits that are custom tailored. The difference in comfort and confidence provided by a suit that truly fits you perfectly, and one that sort-of, kind-of, fits because you bought it off the rack and your dry cleaner did their best to alter it, is huge.

I think a lot of men would gladly wear suits more often if they could get a better fit. I know I would.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Yes, do tell. I really want to know what monks are.
Monkstraps, men's dress shoes with one or two adjustable buckles holding a piece of leather over the Vamp (instead of a lacing system). See, e.g.: Burgundy Westminster | Shoes | 890 Last | Edward Green

Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,644,820 times
Quote:
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes.
So are you saying that a 26-year old guy couldn't look good in those shoes? sorry, but they do old-timer.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times
HaHa! I laughed out loud at what you wrote. It is funny!

But, I must confess, I still wear vans, and surf attire, and I am in my 40's!

I grew up on the water, riding the waves, loving the water, still wear oneil clothing and low key vans! I have long oneil boardshorts (a cool bathing suit) too for the beach and pool.

I dress up when necessary, and have a professional job. See ya brah!
Attached Thumbnails
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes.-untitled.png  

Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Twenty five is still very young and men or women should still be wearing exactly what they like... no barriers.. as long as someone looks clean , tidy its fine with me.. dirty people however oh no....

Old 06-23-2017, 02:47 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
I just typed this same thing in a thread about women's clothing - i feel like i type it all the time -

I PERSONALLY think people can wear what they want, unless it's at work, at an interview, or someplace where there is a dress code. Many people use clothing as part of their personality, and use it as something "fun." (me) And as you get older, you are going to have less and less of life's years to enjoy - so you REALLY do what the hell you want. Enjoy clothes and your life!

Old 06-23-2017, 02:48 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jte1969 View Post
dang, 38 pages of a thread to go through... Didn't do that.

But i'm 48 years old and still try to freestyle on a bmx bike. Yeah, and i wear vans. And i think going around in a std work polo or suit is real stuffy. I like how mark zuckerburg never wears a suit. Because i hated the old business standards of how a suit classifies a man and such [ yeah, they had secret codes for men's suits, i think ].

I think a person should wear whatever fashion appeals to himself / herself as an expression of themselves. They shouldn't follow trends or whatever someone else says they should wear. Follow your heart on how you want to dress and express yourself. I like to see what people wear as an expression of their total essence [style, tastes, character, ethos, interests, etc..]
amen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty