Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yes or no?
Yes, I would 73 43.20%
No, I wouldn't 96 56.80%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:53 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times

Advertisements

I'm a female, and I have no problem with tattoos, even if the guy is covered in tattoos (including his face).

I would have a problem if his tattoos were racist or bigoted, though. I would also have a problem if his tattoos consisted of mostly naked women. Additionally, I'd have a problem if his tattoos kept him from getting a good, secure and at least somewhat well-paid job. I want to be with someone who can pull their own weight, and contribute to the household expenses if we were to get married and have children.

I'd also think he was an idiot if he had all the names of ex-girlfriends tattooed on him.

I do know a very nice, intelligent and funny person who had full-sleeves and facial tattoos, and he was an exceptionally well-paid plumber who never had trouble getting work. So it is possible to have a good job and be covered in tattoos, just like it's possible to be a good person and be covered in tattoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Seems like some people are just having a really hard time accepting that tattoos aren't really a big deal any more. Times are a changing. So they try and make these outlandish stereotypes in hopes that it will somehow work to turn back the clock.

I imagine this happens with lots of things over time:

Women who didn't where full length skirts every day were probably tramps and harlots.
Make up? Hookers and sluts.
Out on a Sunday not wearing a tie? Bum.
Etc.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,943 times
any woman with a lot of visible tattoos looks unattractive in my opinion, I wouldnt be interested in dating them

I think it makes the woman look kind of rough and unlady like, that mixed with drinking, drug use, smoking , really looks unattractive

a woman should be unmarked, it makes them look more pure and natural

Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yay, Williams Sonoma!

Almost makes it worth what they charge.
I know, my guess is that they realized one of those sleeves probably costs more than the platter, and that there might be some people with disposable income lying around who might want to shop where they feel welcome.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
any woman with a lot of visible tattoos looks unattractive in my opinion, I wouldnt be interested in dating them

I think it makes the woman look kind of rough and unlady like, that mixed with drinking, drug use, smoking , really looks unattractive

a woman should be unmarked, it makes them look more pure and natural
What if they don't drink, use drugs, or smoke?

Just because a person has tattoos does not mean they partake in those other things....

Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times
So many complaints against women with tattoos are that it's not "natural" or that it's "marking" their bodies. Well neither is makeup, but frankly, I think that if all women stopped wearing makeup of any kind, a lot of these same men would start complaining that they weren't taking care of themselves, that they were letting themselves go, and that they were unattractive. So what they're really saying is, tattoos aren't their preferred method for how a woman marks themselves, or how she acts unnatural.

I know so many people who are reputable, own their own business or have a great job working for a company (many who are lawyers, doctors, and nurses), don't drink, smoke, do drugs, who only had sex in very committed relationships, or sometimes waited entirely to have sex until they were married, and they still have tattoos. The fact is, there are probably a lot of people out there - who many of the against-tattoos posters think are respectable, good people - who have tattoos on their backs, ankles, chests, or upper arms that they just keep hidden while they're at work, or are naturally hidden by their preferred style of clothing. It's funny that someone would allow a tattoo to color their entire opinion of a person, without bothering to take into account how that person comports themselves.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
So many complaints against women with tattoos are that it's not "natural" or that it's "marking" their bodies. Well neither is makeup, but frankly, I think that if all women stopped wearing makeup of any kind, a lot of these same men would start complaining that they weren't taking care of themselves, that they were letting themselves go, and that they were unattractive. So what they're really saying is, tattoos aren't their preferred method for how a woman marks themselves, or how she acts unnatural.

I know so many people who are reputable, own their own business or have a great job working for a company (many who are lawyers, doctors, and nurses), don't drink, smoke, do drugs, who only had sex in very committed relationships, or sometimes waited entirely to have sex until they were married, and they still have tattoos. The fact is, there are probably a lot of people out there - who many of the against-tattoos posters think are respectable, good people - who have tattoos on their backs, ankles, chests, or upper arms that they just keep hidden while they're at work, or are naturally hidden by their preferred style of clothing. It's funny that someone would allow a tattoo to color their entire opinion of a person, without bothering to take into account how that person comports themselves.

Yeah... it's a rather silly argument.

I don't think I've ever seen a man say he wants a woman with no ear piercings, no fake boobs, no makeup, no haircolor and no tattoos... I mean, if she's gonna be completely unmarked and all...

I tend to base my opinions of people on their actions plus appearance. You cannot just look the part, you need to be acting it. Sooo... you can be as "unmarked" as possible, but if you're acting like a hoodlum, I'll assume you are one.

You can be covered in tattoos, but if they're not racist or some type of profanity, as long as you're acting respectfully, I'm going to assume you're a decent sort of person.

Perhaps my perception is skewed because pretty much everyone I know who has tattoos is gainfully employed and I'm not just talking about flipping burgers.

My ratio of unemployed/underemployed friends with and without tattoos is pretty much the same as my ratio of friends with/without tattoos in terms of distribution.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What if they don't drink, use drugs, or smoke?

Just because a person has tattoos does not mean they partake in those other things....
I know, right? I don't smoke, use drugs (well, I am 420 friendly, but do not actively partake) and drink rarely.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,943 times
the image of a woman with lots of tattoos also makes them seem "unclean"

if they are crazy enough to go through all that , it makes me wonder why they would do something like that to their body? they must really want those markings, it's not something a person just does for the heck of it, I just cant understand why they would do that to themselves?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,252 times
Tattoos remind me of a car with bumper stickers.
They are placed on body parts as touchstones of their passages through life reminding them of where they've been or people they've met.
Basically, it's the home of their spirit and that can accessorize it as they please.
Just as every picture tells a story, every Tat has enough significance to be able to be placed permanently in a specific place to be viewed by others, sometimes in public, sometimes in private.
Personally, I would date someone who had tattoos that are placed in the non public galleries for private viewings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty