Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Basically, when would you let your daughter start shopping at VS for sexy undies and the like? Would you be okay with, say a young teen shop at VS or buying sexy clothes? Or do you not really see it as a big deal?

For me, I was pretty strict with her through most of her teen years. When she first asked for thongs at 14 it was a definite no, and while shopping I would not let her buy something that I deemed to risque. Even at 17 no thongs but boy shorts were fine. I personally don't think any girl under 16 should be buying anything to risque but that's just me. I know there are girls super young say 12, 13 that buy thongs/g strings etc. And it just makes me If my daughter wanted things like new bras/panties she would almost always shop at wal mart or target.
I never bought my girls stuff from VS, and they were not allowed to wear anything that bared midriffs, short shorts, thongs, etc. I told them if they want to dress that way then you do it on your own dime, after you have your own job and your own place to live.

I think letting a girl dress suggestively is a big mistake. I taught my girls to have some self-respect and to be aware of themselves in every situation at all times, not to get too drunk, or to drink alone, that kind of thing. Too many times we hear of a rape and then it's blamed on the girl for dressing like a **** and her being drunk.

Bottom line, no means no, but you are put into question when you didn't have the sense to not put yourself in that position to begin with. It might not be right, but that's the way it is, and some men don't hear "no" the way they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
How bout never? What is the purpose of sexy undies anyway? I have heard people say they need to wear them because of when they are seen in them. That to me is something that not even a married woman needs to be doing. The only person that needs to see my little girl's undies is the man that gets married to her. Why does a teenage girl need a thong?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
I feel it is irresponsible parenting to allow a child to wear sexy clothing when she is too immature to handle the effects of it (on men).

My daughter will never be allowed to buy sexy clothes on my dime. She can wear whatever she wants when she's an adult and supporting herself.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
IDK. My daughter is 3 and I haven't thought about it yet, right now we are fighting over diapers vs Cinderella undies lol However, I wore thongs when I was in 8th grade going into high school. It wasn't to be sexy. I rememeber trying to wear a dress (a nice, Easter dress) and my undies were showing so my mom took me to buy a thong. Not sexy, just functional.

I didn't dress sexy to school (all girls catholic school. We had uniforms) and on weekends I didn't really either. If I wore a skirt, I would make sure my top was covered up and if I had a tank top or something a little lower cut than I would make sure I had pants on and was covered up. My mom was always extremely open with me and I still appreciate it to this day. I want my daughter to come to me and ask for something rather than try to sneak it behind my back. Of course if its something absurd than its a big fat NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. I wear thongs and G-strings all the time, however, the main reason is because I don't like panty lines. So thongs/G-strings actually serve more than one purpose As for bras being sexy, to me bras are also just a function of, well, function: holding my ample uppers up so I can concentrate on my activities of daily living. Maybe I'm just not romantic anymore
I frequently sub teach at the HS level. Although, few girls wear dresses or skirts many/most that do wear thongs under them. I am always shocked that the girls do not realize that when they bend over to pick up their dropped pencil or their backpack from the floor that their skirt/dress pulls up in back and everyone behind them can see their naked butt. Or maybe they do know that.

Don't their mothers teach them to bend at the knees and not at the waist when they wear skirts?

On the bright side, at least most girls don't go "commando" under their clothes like a lot of movie stars seem to do (at least it seems like a lot go bare from all of those "crotch shots" taken when they try to get out of cars).

Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I never bought my girls stuff from VS, and they were not allowed to wear anything that bared midriffs, short shorts, thongs, etc. I told them if they want to dress that way then you do it on your own dime, after you have your own job and your own place to live.

I think letting a girl dress suggestively is a big mistake. I taught my girls to have some self-respect and to be aware of themselves in every situation at all times, not to get too drunk, or to drink alone, that kind of thing. Too many times we hear of a rape and then it's blamed on the girl for dressing like a **** and her being drunk.

Bottom line, no means no, but you are put into question when you didn't have the sense to not put yourself in that position to begin with. It might not be right, but that's the way it is, and some men don't hear "no" the way they should.
As usual we make it the girls responsibility to "stay out of trouble" instead of teaching the boys to not create trouble. It is an unfortunately double standard.

I didn't have the context when I was 12 and started getting sketchy comments from men (I was one of those kids who got breasts early....well into a C cup at that age). They should have known better. But of course as a 12 year old, I thought it was something I did. Meanwhile, that was one of my tomboy phases.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
I agree. Any girl under age 18 should not be wearing anything sexy and that includes underwear.
Somewhat agree, but not totally. I would think that since underwear is usually not visible by testosterone driven young boys, then she can wear anything she wants under her clothing. However, no sexy outerwear of any kind while she is a minor. After that, then she is a legal adult and can dress however she chooses.

Hopefully, you have raised her with self-confidence and respect for herself and the knowledge that dressing a certain way sends a certain message to young men, (and they are usually only interested in one thing with a woman who dresses a certain way, and that is probably not to take her to Sunday church service).

Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM

513 posts, read 799,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I frequently sub teach at the HS level. Although, few girls wear dresses or skirts many/most that do wear thongs under them. I am always shocked that the girls do not realize that when they bend over to pick up their dropped pencil or their backpack from the floor that their skirt/dress pulls up in back and everyone behind them can see their naked butt. Or maybe they do know that.

Don't their mothers teach them to bend at the knees and not at the waist when they wear skirts?

On the bright side, at least most girls don't go "commando" under their clothes like a lot of movie stars seem to do (at least it seems like a lot go bare from all of those "crotch shots" taken when they try to get out of cars).

Are you serious? We wore stockings on top and then shorts underneath our skirts. If anyone forgot their shorts it was a huge deal and usually someone had an extra pair we could borrow. We NEVER went with just underwear. I remember people finding out one girl did and she was teased and never did it again (not the nicest thing but it was middle school). Same with high school. We had a choice of jumper or skirt but both needed to be worn with stockings (maroon) and everyone wore shorts underneath.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Why does the school allow such short skirts? Some schools require knee-length skirts at a minimum.

Why not discuss it in your next parent-teacher conference when you discuss the girls' work and classroom performance? I'm sure the parents would want to know.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Sexy? Seriously? Who buys their underage kid "sexy" clothing?
Exactly my question too

Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
As usual we make it the girls responsibility to "stay out of trouble" instead of teaching the boys to not create trouble. It is an unfortunately double standard.

I didn't have the context when I was 12 and started getting sketchy comments from men (I was one of those kids who got breasts early....well into a C cup at that age). They should have known better. But of course as a 12 year old, I thought it was something I did. Meanwhile, that was one of my tomboy phases.
I agree, it is a terrible double standard. But I'd rather err on the side of safety than assume every male is going to be a "good boy". You can teach them whatever you want, but there are some deviants that think the rules don't apply to them. I prefer not to take the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty