Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What 14 and 15-year-olds even want sexy underwear and clothing? Most girls at that age are perfectly happy enjoying being kids, not aspiring to become the next Kardashian or a stripper.
Ha. It's obvious you don't have a teenage daughter. There are reasons 14 and 15 year old girls want to be "sexy" without wanting to be like Kim Kardashian or becoming a stripper. Think about it. Seriously…?

I'm not saying parents should let their teenage daughters dress in an overtly sexy way, but I can certainly understand why the daughters would want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,616 times
probably by the time she leaves high school or if she wants to snag a sugar daddy around that time. get something out of that beauty instead of just doing it for the sake of it. there's a time limit on a girl's value which is mostly based on looks, whether you like it or not.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
the whole premise of when it is or isn't okay to wear seems silly to me. do you think that not allowing a girl to wear a thong is going to prevent her from having sex? isn't that the whole goal here?

take my entire opinion with a grain of salt, as i don't have a daughter.
+1. And take it from someone who was a young teenage daughter herself years ago. If she is determined to have sex, she can be wrapped from head to toe like an Egyptian mummy and it will still happen. Her decision (and it is really hers, not the parents') of whether or not to have sex is dependent on proper sex education, not fashion restrictions.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 04-24-2014 at 04:57 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. What would a 14-year-old need sexy underwear for? It wouldn't even cross most 14-year-olds minds to want sexy underwear.

You do know that 14-15 yos are dating and having sex. They're in high school! We were having sex at that age in the 80s, I bet it starts younger now.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
You know, I never understood why women care so much about VPL. Especially considering it seems to be only something women care about. In all my years I have NEVER heard a guy say "Man, look at that girls visible panty lines, that's sick!" or anything of the sort. And believe me, I have been around PLENTY of super shallow guys that will comment on a woman's weight and such. Not to mention, when a bra is an undergarment and you can usually tell if a woman is wearing a bra so why are VPL such a big deal?
Panty lines are just tacky. Ew.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
18 sounds about right although I don't have children.

I don't think it's appropriate for girls under 18.

And I don't think parents have the right to regulate their children after 18.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,019 times
Default Sexy Things for Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
I'm also getting a kick out of people saying and playing "as long as she lives under my roof" card up too. Really? You don't want to go there, trust me. I work with elderly who I'm the first person they have seen in over a month. They can't drive anymore and their kids live 10 States away and never come home. The neighbor gives them their bath and whatever else/care they need. That's no way to live. You'll die alone and turn into the crazy cat lady or something.
Whew! I'm in luck....I'm a sane cat lady. (Couldn't resist...actually only have two cats).

Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM

48 posts, read 76,941 times
when she's old enough to know all about sex, what it's implications are. Absolutely NOT before 16. 18 better when she can do what she wants. Try not to mess her up Mom. She's got an entire life of dealing with man who will lie, trying to get into her pants....let's not speed that up. Check out yellowberry bras. Unique, Colorful Bras for Young Girls : Yellowberry Company They are made for this age group.

Meanwhile, let her grow up slowly without all the pressure of sex and boys. Sign her up for all girls fast pitch, track, pottery, art, hiking, rock-climbing, kayaking, sailing, life guard training, ANYTHING...... Mothers taking their young daughters in for sexy clothing are telling them "go ahead, honey, take your clothes off for boys and have sex." No wonder girls in their tweens and teens are confused. ...sorry, didn't mean to bit your head off. Wish my own mother hadn't not encouraged me to grow up too fast.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
I'll give you an example about how clueless parents can be about what their daughters wear under their clothes.

A dozen years ago we had a female foreign exchange student living at our house for four months. My husband does all of our family laundry. Shortly after the 17 year old girl returned to Germany my husband commented to me that she must have hand washed all of her underpants because there were never any in the laundry. When I mentioned this to our 17 year old daughter she laughed out loud and said, "Elsa wasn't hand washing her underwear. She never wore any."

So, Elsa lived with us for four months and neither my husband or I even realized what she was or wasn't wearing every day.

So, if your teenage daughter does her own laundry (or own hand laundry) or you are as non-observant as my husband (he sorted the clothes so our daughter's stuff went in her room and Elsa's clothes went into her room) you may not know what your daughter is actually wearing.

Do you let your 16 year old drive? Does she have an allowance or money from babysitting or a job?
Then she may be driving to the mall with her friends and buying whatever underwear that she wants.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Basically, when would you let your daughter start shopping at VS for sexy undies and the like? Would you be okay with, say a young teen shop at VS or buying sexy clothes? Or do you not really see it as a big deal?

For me, I was pretty strict with her through most of her teen years. When she first asked for thongs at 14 it was a definite no, and while shopping I would not let her buy something that I deemed to risque. Even at 17 no thongs but boy shorts were fine. I personally don't think any girl under 16 should be buying anything to risque but that's just me. I know there are girls super young say 12, 13 that buy thongs/g strings etc. And it just makes me If my daughter wanted things like new bras/panties she would almost always shop at wal mart or target.
As soon as she is living on her own and paying her own bills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty