Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 03:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times

Advertisements

Not to change the path of the thread or anything, and it may be because i dont have kids, but dont people generally have kids in order to continue the line/further the species? And if so, shouldnt said parents have the foreknowledge that their kids are eventually going to have sex and continue the line just as they themselves did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Not to change the path of the thread or anything, and it may be because i dont have kids, but dont people generally have kids in order to continue the line/further the species? And if so, shouldnt said parents have the foreknowledge that their kids are eventually going to have sex and continue the line just as they themselves did?
I always wonder that about the people who answer these kinds of threads with some ridiculous age like 40. Really? You want your child to be a 40 year old virgin with no dating experience? Yeah... thats going to work out great for them.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Heck my sister had a pair of lace crotchless panties at 16-17. Saw them hanging out on the clothesline with the rest of the laundry. Asked my Mom the basic "Who do those belong to/you let her wear THOSE?!?!?" and the reply was "Shes got a job she can buy whatever she wants with her money". I just shrugged and said okay. I guess thats why i dont mind if a girl has some "sexy" stuff. It didnt phase me then it wont phase me now.
I wonder what your sister told your mom about why or when or for whom she wore those crotch less panties?

It isn't like someone wearing a thong to avoid VPL or because they think that they feel more comfortable than bikini underpants.

So it wouldn't "phases you" if your 16 or 17 year old daughter wore crotch less panties?

IMHO, I think that your mom is/was more understanding/tolerant than 99.9% of most mothers.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM

513 posts, read 799,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I wonder what your sister told your mom about why or when or for whom she wore those crotch less panties?

It isn't like someone wearing a thong to avoid VPL or because they think that they feel more comfortable than bikini underpants.

So it wouldn't "phases you" if your 16 or 17 year old daughter wore crotch less panties?

IMHO, I think that your mom is/was more understanding/tolerant than 99.9% of most mothers.
Who the heck wears those anyway? I remember looking through a Fredrick's of Hollywood catalogue when I was around 14 with my friend and we saw those and laughed, laughed and laughed some more at those. They don't sell those at VS (which is the main contention here it seems). None of my friends have ever or would ever wear crotchless panties. I don't even see the attraction of those anyway.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Of course people want their kids to grow up to date and have healthy sexual relationships and hopefully marriages and kids one day, if that's what those now-grown kids want to do.

But, while they aren't yet legal adults and you are their guardian, it behooves one, as a parent, to teach their kids (who are growing into young adults) to make smart choices.

Will they always? Nope.

That doesn't mean you hand her a crack pipe and a stripper pole and tell her to go for it because she'll be 18 in a few years so you don't see why she might not just go ahead and be an "adult" already.

There was a poster earlier who mentioned 2 daughters, one very girly and the other a tomboy and seemed to think that this illustrated that clothing was irrelevant because the tomboy/hippie chick was the one who was more sexual than the other, who was more studious.

To that, I say... there was more to their upbringing than that. And I can bet you that the girl who dressed like a hippie chick would have been in far worse shape if she'd been ALSO offered slutty underclothes to go along with the free love crowd she apparently was hanging out with to wind up like she did.

Point being, it's complicated, raising kids. And, I can tell you that each choice you make as a parent may come home to roost. Sooo... you cannot assume your daughter who wants lacy lingerie is easy any more than you can give your tomboy free reign to stay out until 2am every night because she doesn't seem like she's going to be getting into any trouble with boys.

TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN. I cannot emphasize this enough.

TALK TO THEM. GET TO KNOW THEM.

That'll fix most of it. Regardless? Buying a 15yo girl sexy underclothes isn't a smart idea.

Cute ones? Why not, if she likes that sort of thing. But, leave the overtly sexy stuff for when she's older.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 PM

Well, i dont have kids of my own but i have dealt with kids. The one thing i do know that talking to your kids is completely one sided. You can talk to your kids but kids generally dont want to talk to their parents. Parents dont know anything; theyre old; the advice they give was only useful back in the "old days" not the present. Parents dont understand so why bother telling them or asking them anything?

Also, what if your daughter buys or wants something that she thinks is cute but you see it as sexy? Do you force her to change how she sees things from cute to sexual? Are you in turn ending her innocent/forcing her to grow up?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Who the heck wears those anyway? I remember looking through a Fredrick's of Hollywood catalogue when I was around 14 with my friend and we saw those and laughed, laughed and laughed some more at those. They don't sell those at VS (which is the main contention here it seems). None of my friends have ever or would ever wear crotchless panties. I don't even see the attraction of those anyway
Well, there must still be a market for crotch less panties because I did a quick check and there are 4,633 listings for them right now (just on eBay).

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-25-2014 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 PM

why do i get the feeling we've just drummed up the next thread in the fashion forum?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:44 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Basically, when would you let your daughter start shopping at VS for sexy undies and the like? Would you be okay with, say a young teen shop at VS or buying sexy clothes? Or do you not really see it as a big deal?

For me, I was pretty strict with her through most of her teen years. When she first asked for thongs at 14 it was a definite no, and while shopping I would not let her buy something that I deemed to risque. Even at 17 no thongs but boy shorts were fine. I personally don't think any girl under 16 should be buying anything to risque but that's just me. I know there are girls super young say 12, 13 that buy thongs/g strings etc. And it just makes me If my daughter wanted things like new bras/panties she would almost always shop at wal mart or target.
For me and my wife, the answer is never. You want to wear that stuff? You'd better be able to pay your own bills and live on your own because you ain't wearing it anywhere while you still live at our house... and if you try to get away with bringing it into our house or wearing it while you still live at our house, you will find yourself not living at our house very quickly so you'd better have a "plan B". You want to make up your own moral code which permits you to sexualize yourself more than we want you to? Fine. Be an independent person. But for as long as you live with us, you follow our rules... which include, but are not limited to, you will dress modestly so as not to attract any sexual attention to yourself. Boys will be able to discern what you look like and what your body shape is, without you wearing "sexy" clothing... so it isn't necessary to attract a decent boy. The boys you attract by wearing "sexy" clothing (whom you wouldn't attract otherwise) are not worthy of my daughter, nor will you find them to be worthy of your time and companionship (and for most women, it takes a devastating unfortunate event for them to become aware of this, so we intend to minimize the risk thereof).

Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Whichever age you feel comfortable with your daughter having sex......or a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty