Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

At my house, we wear clothes that cover up the underwear completely. So if my 12 year old wants pretty underwear, she can get them. Nobody is going to see them, and if it makes her feel good about her body, that's great. She asked for a thong when she was 8, because that's what I wore all the time, so I bought her one, she tried it a couple times, and then it ended up shoved to the back of the drawer and forgotten. To me it's a piece of underwear and not something with sexual connotations...I wear them because it's really hot here and I don't like having a sweaty butt, but I don't want cotton panties because my clothes cling to them.

I let her have padded bras too...girls go through a pointy stage and a padded bra helps things look less awkward during that stage. She's had a couple of VS bras because they're very well made, but at her size having a really well-constructed bra isn't as crucial as it is for a bigger person.

I wouldn't buy her see-through nighties or teddies or something like that, but she even owns a couple of corsets as part of her costume for the Renaissance Faire or other occasions that require a costume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Well, my mom let me get my first thong at 15 to avoid panty lines because the seamless panties weren't doing it for me. A parent knows what type of daughter she has. My mom knows I had no desire to be showing off my body. I always bought shorts with a 4" inseam, because (in my opinion) anything less than that is skanky no matter how old you are.

ETA: I was never into showing off my boobs or wearing short things. There's a way to show off your body without being skanky. Personally, I love showing off my back. I think it's one of my greatest assets.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:10 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
I'm not saying let them dress like 5 dollar hookers, I'm just saying that not letting them own some nice sexy underwear is a bit much. I knew some girls growing up whose parents wouldn't let them pierce their ears at 13 years old.
I see no reason why my 12-13 year old needs a pair of sexy underwear. To me....the phrase "sexy" anything and "12-13 year old girl" don't even belong together. The last hing I want my daughter being concerned with is being "sexy" to anyone. Not at this age....no bueno. At this age, you know what she thinks most about without much if any pressure from us? She's thinking about what she has to do to get into Harvard (her choice of college for the past few years now). At 12 she has already started sending away for Ivy League school info. I'm much more pleased about her thinking along those lines than about wearing sexy underwear. She has the rest of her life to think about and wear sexy panties....she has only a short time to adequately prepare for her future.

I'm not knocking what another mom lets her daughter wear, it's not my concern. I'm responsible for mine and only mine.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Whenever she wants to. I wouldn't want her to suffer like me, and am very lenient on rules.

I am a 22 year old guy and dad still dictates what I should wear, even to bed. When I speak up against, he threatens to kick me out. So I just comply and live along, cuz I will surely die alone bleeding on the thug infested streets all over New Jersey.

My only chance of surviving alone safely, is south of the Potomac. And that is exactly what I will do .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 04-23-2014 at 06:46 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I frequently sub teach at the HS level. Although, few girls wear dresses or skirts many/most that do wear thongs under them. I am always shocked that the girls do not realize that when they bend over to pick up their dropped pencil or their backpack from the floor that their skirt/dress pulls up in back and everyone behind them can see their naked butt. Or maybe they do know that.

Don't their mothers teach them to bend at the knees and not at the waist when they wear skirts?

On the bright side, at least most girls don't go "commando" under their clothes like a lot of movie stars seem to do (at least it seems like a lot go bare from all of those "crotch shots" taken when they try to get out of cars).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why does the school allow such short skirts? Some schools require knee-length skirts at a minimum.

Why not discuss it in your next parent-teacher conference when you discuss the girls' work and classroom performance? I'm sure the parents would want to know.
The HSs in my area do not have a dress code that lists length of skirts (probably because girls wear them so rarely) The skirts that the HS girls in my area wear aren't super short, they usually are more "fluffy/floaty/lots of fabric" (think the opposite of pencil skirts). It is more the way that some (not all) of the girls bend at the waist and not at the knee.

Now that I think about it the biggest problem (seeing their thongs/naked butt) happens when the girls stand up and bend over to pick up something from the floor and their classmates are still seated in their chairs. This doesn't happen every day but it happens enough to know that most of those girls wear thongs.

I'm a sub so the most that I can do is mention it to the student (if I can catch her in private) or the teacher (if appropriate).

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
No daughters, thank God. But if I did, they could buy their own stuff either whenever they move out of the house and support themselves. While they're living at home, don't even think of it.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
I have a 14 year old who started going to VS at around 13. She was having issues with panty lines in her yoga pants and I took her to VS to buy a few styles of thongs to see which was more comfortable. To me it's a brief vs boxer issue, not a sexy issue.

They have bins of undies that aren't terribly priced, we don't buy push ups, crotchless panties, garter belts or anything else.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
For most girls 18. If it were my daughter 53.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I have a 14 year old who started going to VS at around 13. She was having issues with panty lines in her yoga pants and I took her to VS to buy a few styles of thongs to see which was more comfortable. To me it's a brief vs boxer issue, not a sexy issue.

They have bins of undies that aren't terribly priced, we don't buy push ups, crotchless panties, garter belts or anything else.
You know, I never understood why women care so much about VPL. Especially considering it seems to be only something women care about. In all my years I have NEVER heard a guy say "Man, look at that girls visible panty lines, that's sick!" or anything of the sort. And believe me, I have been around PLENTY of super shallow guys that will comment on a woman's weight and such. Not to mention, when a bra is an undergarment and you can usually tell if a woman is wearing a bra so why are VPL such a big deal?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 PM

532 posts, read 550,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
For most girls 18. If it were my daughter 53.
By 18 you don't have a choice anymore. They can buy a gun, drive a car, buy a house, vote, get married....and also disown you as a parent.

I plan to keep my little girl whom I don't even have one "Daddy's Girl".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty