Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
And don't discount good old fashioned sleep. Uninterrupted sound sleep is amazing for body and soul.
Not discounted, but "uninterruped sound sleep" is almost impossible to achieve for this 63-year-old. If it's not having to get up to go to the bathroom, it's being awakened by joint pain or stiffness. Thanks, rheumatoid arthritis!
If I can sleep 4 hours straight, I call that victory. And with the help of a prescription drug, it's achievable!
As long as I don't overlook the bathroom thing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:04 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,646,705 times
Pretty colors on fingers and toes, a little tinted moisturizer and blush to make skin less sallow, concealer for dark under-eye circles. And stop with the black-rimmed eyes. Better to use some brown eye shadow and smudge it along the lash line so it won't look so harsh. A bit of lipstick and gloss to brighten up the face. Well-fitting clothes in non-drab colors, and a good supportive bra under those clothes. Comfortable shoes that are also stylish (a low wedge heel instead of granny shoes), and don't forget to exfoliate regularly, it makes a big difference.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:24 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
My eyes are my best feature and I always get complimented for them. I line my eyes on top and bottom. Thin and smooth on the top and smudged/smokey, not the intense sharp gel, pencil for the rim.
Moisturizer.
Lipstick.
Good haircut.

I don't know what my posture looks. What does one do to have a good posture?

Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,051,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What does one do to have a good posture?
Stand with your back against a wall, with your head back against the wall. Do for 30 seconds each day to
become comfortable with standing erect and in good alignment.

Too many older people walk with their head jutting forward.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Sleep, hydration, and a solid stress management routine.

Oh, and sunscreen.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 PM

73 posts, read 93,198 times
AND, to get all of these important things rolling and keep them rolling...which I hope to do really, really soon...
Love yourself and make yourself a priority. It is too easy to let things slide and manana-manana-
Manana nunca vene!
(translation: tomorrow, tomorrow - tomorrow never comes!)
Anyway, I am telling myself this as I type this to y'all ~ you have to value yourself and make the time to do all these good things for yourself, because time slips by too quickly!
Thanks for the inspiration, KathryAragon!

Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I personally find weight to be one of the biggest things that affects how old someone looks. Staying at a healthy weight makes a person look significantly younger than someone 30+lb overweight.
I actually find very thin, rawboned people tend to look prematurely aged in some cases. As you age, the line between slim and gaunt can start to blur.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I personally find weight to be one of the biggest things that affects how old someone looks. Staying at a healthy weight makes a person look significantly younger than someone 30+lb overweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I actually find very thin, rawboned people tend to look prematurely aged in some cases. As you age, the line between slim and gaunt can start to blur.
Starting around 40, being underweight will often make someone appear older than people of the same age who are overweight. The best option for appearance is to be at a weight that is normal to 5-10 pounds overweight.

1) Avoid significant rapid weight loss. Virtually everyone I've known of that has lost lots of weight rapidly over 40 has looked much older after the weight loss. If weight loss is necessary, lose it at a slow pace.
2) Always use sunblock.
3) Do not smoke.
4) Focus on strength training for exercise. It's very important as we age to keep as much muscle as possible for as long as possible. Not only will it significantly help with physical appearance, but also muscle loss is a big factor in causing frailty, falls and fractures in older people. Even people as young as their 50s often have mobility issues (making them appear older than they really are) that could be reduced or avoided entirely with strength training.

Last edited by patches403; 08-24-2016 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 10:28 PM

120 posts, read 90,543 times
Laughter, try not to get too heavy or too thin, and having a pet.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:42 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

I don't know what my posture looks. What does one do to have a good posture?
Pilates. This literally builds a 'natural girdle' by strengthening your core - which is made up of more than your abs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty