Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 AM

77 posts, read 103,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post

As I notice other older women, I take note of what makes them attractive to me and try to apply these things to my own appearance.
I have done the same thing! I actually came up with a list of ten things that women can do to minimize the effects of aging, from no cost to high cost. They are as follows:

1) Exercise like you mean it. Six days out of seven, not less than one hour, not more than two. Do it.
2) Change up your diet until it's perfectly healthy. Research the heck out of it and become an expert.
3) Lose weight if you have to. You may not BE younger, but you will feel A LOT younger. And look younger, too.Try to remember when you felt you were at your best, and what weight you were.
3) Change your hairstyle, update and color it. If you want to wear it long, make sure you maintain it, and wear it a variety of ways. Look for pictures of yourself when you feel you looked your best and go from there. Get a good hairstylist, perhaps a younger or more youth oriented stylist who has skills that are up to date, and ask him/her what they think. Show them the pictures and share what you are trying to accomplish. If they don't get it, go to someone else who does get it.
4) Make sure your teeth look great. From having them cleaned, whitened, straightened, old fillings replaced with porcelain, if you like. If the funds are not there, then the first two should be done, regularly.
5) Make sure your glasses are up to date.
6) Jewelry should be minimal as you get older. Big, clunky stuff (even if it's in fashion) or out of date metal enhances aging. Simple and classic.
7) Update your wardrobe. Take everything out and look at the condition. Maybe some things can be kept, but if they are pilled, pulled, worn or cheap and splashy looking, get rid of them. Try to think of the best items you ever owned and ask yourself why you liked them. Because they become dated even in a year, don't buy prints, just colors in classic styles. Then update with accessories that are in style. Keep lines simple and classic.
8)Shoes are a huge statement. Even though you need to have different shoes, don't skimp on them. It says more about you than you think. Really look at what younger women who are fashion conscious are wearing and look for shoes that likely will work for you.
9)Makeup is a necessity. I'm a devotee of organic. You can ask for expert advice, but they will try to upsell you things you don't need. What you need, at the minimum, IMHO is a good cleanser, a good moisturizer with an SPF of 50, highlighter sticks for contouring in 3 shades, powder shadow for eyeliner, powder shadow that matches your roots for your eyebrows, mascara, a couple of eyeshadows in subtle colors, a very nice, high quality blush, a good mechanical lip pencil in a color that closely matches your lip color, and assorted nice lipsticks in flattering shades. I prefer adding the element of frost, because I like it. Several good brushes in a handy case help a lot, rather than the little tool that comes with the powders.
10) Facelift. I'm no expert, but I'm just sayin....it's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 03:59 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
I agree with all of you. Good hair cut, lots of sleep, good food, pleasant personality, exercise, good grooming, and sun screen.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:19 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
We need the sunshine too for vit D... but know what you mean aboot sunscreens... although I cant use them myself.. I think dancing keeps people younger too.. and as a type of exercise is good for our bodies, mind and skin..

Old 08-26-2016, 08:42 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
We need the sunshine too for vit D... but know what you mean aboot sunscreens... although I cant use them myself.. I think dancing keeps people younger too.. and as a type of exercise is good for our bodies, mind and skin..
This ^^^. Dancing is good for the body, mind, spirit and BRAIN! It has to be one of the most joyous exercises out there. In my 60s now, didn't really become a regular dancer until a few years ago - I took up belly dancing, then Zumba (latin based workout dancing) and now tap dancing (the most fun of all!) Dancing has even been proven to help people with Alzheimer's!

Anyway, people here have already suggested most of what can be done; although some things can't be helped as we age, and this thread is about what we can do. Definitely keeping one's weight within a normal healthy range for height and age, and doing a variety of exercises for muscle strength, flexibility and endurance. And not to OVERDO it! Some people literally wear themselves out, which of course is self-defeating. Always stand TALL, good posture is attractive at any age.

On page 4, dizzybint posted about an older gent who was so attractive for being that age - I too met a man at the grocery store once who was checking out in my lane; he was telling the cashier he was 93! And I could not believe it - he looked better than most men I know in their 60's! He walked very tall and strong, full head of hair, voice strong and clear and sharp as a tack! He was laughing and joking with everyone and as he walked out of the store he was flirting with some little old ladies that came in and he got them giggling and blushing. THIS folks is how to be attractive at any age! I do believe in smiling and laughing a lot, be the reason someone smiles that day.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:27 PM

264 posts, read 250,655 times
Quote:
Stand with your back against a wall, with your head back against the wall. Do for 30 seconds each day to
become comfortable with standing erect and in good alignment.

Too many older people walk with their head jutting forward.
Key in this is also to put your shoulders back/avoid hunching.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:31 PM

264 posts, read 250,655 times
Quote:
What has always worried me if the widows stoop or curvature of the spine.. its something I dont know can be stopped.
I think a good yoga class and/or weight training can go a long way toward preventing and even correcting this. You'd be amazed how yoga can change your body and posture.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:06 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
I think a good yoga class and/or weight training can go a long way toward preventing and even correcting this. You'd be amazed how yoga can change your body and posture.
Yes I agree but think it might be a form or arthritis in some people. not sure though.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:42 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I too met a man at the grocery store once who was checking out in my lane; he was telling the cashier he was 93! And I could not believe it - he looked better than most men I know in their 60's! He walked very tall and strong, full head of hair, voice strong and clear and sharp as a tack! He was laughing and joking with everyone and as he walked out of the store he was flirting with some little old ladies that came in and he got them giggling and blushing. THIS folks is how to be attractive at any age! I do believe in smiling and laughing a lot, be the reason someone smiles that day.
Did you get a chance to peek at his grocery cart? Because it sounds like he's doing something right!

Old 08-26-2016, 04:56 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,051,081 times
Quote:
What has always worried me if the widows stoop or curvature of the spine.. its something I dont know can be stopped.
I've noticed a couple of people I know, who are close to 80, who walk bent over, bending from the waist.

What causes this? It's not the more commonly seen slumped-shoulder look.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:08 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
Quote:
I've noticed a couple of people I know, who are close to 80, who walk bent over, bending from the waist.

What causes this? It's not the more commonly seen slumped-shoulder look.
Scoliosis (spinal curvature) can actually cause this, if it's a spinal curvature that's been untreated for their entire lives.

When the spine curves, it creates imbalances in the way weight is carried in the torso. The torso muscles can become displaced, and atrophy (shrink because they can't stretch properly). Other muscles can get overused, trying to compensate for the changes in weight and muscle use, and the torso can develop a lopsided appearance. So this cascading bunch of symptoms kind of causes the upper body to slump forward a bit, leaning over from the waist. The waist muscles can't compensate for all that's happening in the upper body as it becomes increasingly deformed, so they can't hold the torso upright by themselves when the back/torso muscles aren't functioning properly.

That's the best way that I can try to explain it. I have scoliosis that was treated with a body brace in my early teens, then spinal fusion surgery with a metal rod in my mid-teens. That was during the 1980s. This corrected most of the curve, and I don't slouch forward at the waist, but I can kind of understand how it would happen. The body muscles are all interconnected... they try to work in unison as a system. If part of that system breaks down, then there are effects up and down the chain... Ah, and abdominal muscles are key too. The physio exercises for scoliosis are focussed on building up abdominal strength. This is the best way to compensate for the stuff going on with the back/torso muscles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty