Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times

Advertisements

Why are we only talking about women? Things that make men look old?

Not grooming eyebrows, ear and nose hair, neck beards, etc.

Walking around with the mouth hanging open. I don't know if old men have trouble breathing, their jaw muscles lose strength, or ?? But every elderly man I look at has his mouth ajar. Not attractive.

And, of course, there's always the issue of pants pulled up to chest level. What's that about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Why are we only talking about women? Things that make men look old?

Not grooming eyebrows, ear and nose hair, neck beards, etc.

Walking around with the mouth hanging open. I don't know if old men have trouble breathing, their jaw muscles lose strength, or ?? But every elderly man I look at has his mouth ajar. Not attractive.

And, of course, there's always the issue of pants pulled up to chest level. What's that about?
Excellent points!! I'll add outdated clothing. I often see outdated polyester clothing on older men. Just because it still fits doesn't mean you should wear it.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Scoliosis (spinal curvature) can actually cause this, if it's a spinal curvature that's been untreated for their entire lives.

When the spine curves, it creates imbalances in the way weight is carried in the torso. The torso muscles can become displaced, and atrophy (shrink because they can't stretch properly). Other muscles can get overused, trying to compensate for the changes in weight and muscle use, and the torso can develop a lopsided appearance. So this cascading bunch of symptoms kind of causes the upper body to slump forward a bit, leaning over from the waist. The waist muscles can't compensate for all that's happening in the upper body as it becomes increasingly deformed, so they can't hold the torso upright by themselves when the back/torso muscles aren't functioning properly.

That's the best way that I can try to explain it. I have scoliosis that was treated with a body brace in my early teens, then spinal fusion surgery with a metal rod in my mid-teens. That was during the 1980s. This corrected most of the curve, and I don't slouch forward at the waist, but I can kind of understand how it would happen. The body muscles are all interconnected... they try to work in unison as a system. If part of that system breaks down, then there are effects up and down the chain... Ah, and abdominal muscles are key too. The physio exercises for scoliosis are focussed on building up abdominal strength. This is the best way to compensate for the stuff going on with the back/torso muscles.
Not true, even when medically treated it happens.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I've noticed a couple of people I know, who are close to 80, who walk bent over, bending from the waist.

What causes this? It's not the more commonly seen slumped-shoulder look.
You may be referring to "dowager hump" which is usually caused by osteoporosis.

dowagers humps | definition | causes | treatments for back hump

Someone mentioned scoliosis. No, this does not cause the slumped posture. I have a mild scoliosis, but I have great posture, and stand very tall. It helps that I exercise with strength training and dancing. People also just need to be conscious of standing up straight.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:26 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Ultra-violet light gives you vitamin D and stimulates production of serotonin, which raises energy levels and later converts to melatonin to help you sleep.
Also get vit d3 from supplementation.
Photo-aging is real. Due to UV. Cannot be denied.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-27-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 03:19 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,852 times
Yes, good haircut and color.
Sense of humor - laugh-laugh-laugh as it is good for the soul
Ok, I'm a cougar. My husband is 8 yrs younger than me. We've been married for 29 yrs.
I have a good attitude even though I deal with chronic pain thanks to Fibromyalgia and RSD.
I don't act my age.
I buy Advanced Génifique serum from Lancome and SWEAR by it.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:55 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
I'm a no-makeup child of the 1970s, but '80s ladies seem to stick with the black eyeliner all around the eyes. To me, it looked fake back in the 1980s, and it definitely looks fake now.
Of course, when I try doing that, I look like a racoon that didn't get enough sleep.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I'm a no-makeup child of the 1970s, but '80s ladies seem to stick with the black eyeliner all around the eyes. To me, it looked fake back in the 1980s, and it definitely looks fake now.
Of course, when I try doing that, I look like a racoon that didn't get enough sleep.
I totally agree. When ladies age, their complexion and coloring changes and the black eyeliner is very harsh looking and hardens the face. There is a new method of eye lining call tightlining, but people should not attempt it if they have shaky hands which sometimes comes with age. Also, it has to be done carefully or you could risk hurting your eyes. What it is is just shading where the lashes are with a soft eye pencil, this makes the lashes look thicker with out any harsh lining. Check out the videos on tightlining on youtube. According to some fashion magazines, tightlining has changed lives

Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I totally agree. When ladies age, their complexion and coloring changes and the black eyeliner is very harsh looking and hardens the face. There is a new method of eye lining call tightlining, but people should not attempt it if they have shaky hands which sometimes comes with age. Also, it has to be done carefully or you could risk hurting your eyes. What it is is just shading where the lashes are with a soft eye pencil, this makes the lashes look thicker with out any harsh lining. Check out the videos on tightlining on youtube. According to some fashion magazines, tightlining has changed lives
I discovered "tightlining" a couple years ago. It makes a huge difference.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I discovered "tightlining" a couple years ago. It makes a huge difference.
Does that involve putting eyeliner on the waterline? I've never liked doing that. I always think I'm going to poke my eye with the pencil, or some of the eyeliner will get into my eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty