Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times

Advertisements

Don't wear minidresses and strapless dresses, even if you can. I know very few, although admittedly there are some, that could pull it off well, however for the vast majority if you are up there in age, refrain from doing so. Also easy, on the eye and face makeup. Ask for honest opinions on clothing and makeup. True story, in the olden days, I had a much older cousin who was older than some of my aunts, she would put eyeliner on and it looked like she was applying it in the middle of an earthquake, because it traveled such and irregular path. My younger sister, asked my mother why that lady had such big lines in her eyes. We were just young kids at the time and I never forgot my mom, shushing my sister up very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 06:37 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
- Maintain or obtain a healthy weight and stay active and involved with life
- Be "posture mindful". Once you lose your posture, it's impossible to get back.
- Keep hair in a flattering color with soft hi-lights, semi-trendy style. No tight perms, long gray "mother earth" ponytails, or hairs sprayed in a stiff "hair-do".
- If you are missing many teeth, get dentures. My mother's smile and appearance improved dramatically once she finally had her bad upper teeth pulled and got natural looking dentures. Took 10 years off of her. Oh, and get hearing aids is you need them too.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 PM

190 posts, read 202,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I personally find weight to be one of the biggest things that affects how old someone looks. Staying at a healthy weight makes a person look significantly younger than someone 30+lb overweight.
Yes, for the most part this is true. But some older people get too thin. A little plumpness in the face relaxes wrinkles and lines.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Pilates. This literally builds a 'natural girdle' by strengthening your core - which is made up of more than your abs.
Glad someone mentioned exercise with regard to posture. Core work probably won't much help the neck, though. In young people, habits affect posture a lot and usually one can will his or her way to standing and sitting up straight, but by the senior years, most people have to consciously exercise various muscle groups to maintain/attain good posture and if the spine has developed the wrong degree of curvature in places it's likely too late.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Forgot a biggie. Don't smoke. Blech, so gross on an older woman especially. Yellow nails, gravel voice, deeply lined skin. I stopped at 40. Hope it wasn't too late.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
I realized it's probably not just muscle weakness that wrecks posture. It's also muscle tightness. Yet another way being sedentary harms the body. Maybe being physically active should high up on virtually everyone's list.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:16 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,410,152 times
Can't add much more to all the good tips above, but I thought of a couple small ones:

Don't wear shimmer eyeshadow -- it emphasizes crepe-y eyelids. Or if you do, just use a dab in the center of your upper lid.

On the other hand, don't use a matte foundation -- it can emphasize wrinkles. I use Maybelline's Age Rewind, which has a luminous effect and doesn't settle in the wrinkles.

Don't wear your hair long -- as we age, our faces get longer and more angular, cheeks lose volume, our noses get longer, and the long hair just is too harsh.

Yeah, I agree dyed dark hair is a no-no. Lighter hair particularly around the face is a softer look. Dark hair definitely emphasizes wrinkles.

As far as weight goes -- my weight now used to be my "fat weight" when I was in my 30's. I am 25 lbs. heavier than back then, but if I weighed now what I did back then, I would look emaciated. Unfortunately, weight loss shows in our faces, which is the last place we need it as we age.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:51 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
genetics, don't smoke, good sleep.

avoid UV light would be 4th
hydrate plenty 5th
be happy 6th
Ultra-violet light gives you vitamin D and stimulates production of serotonin, which raises energy levels and later converts to melatonin to help you sleep.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:54 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
What has always worried me if the widows stoop or curvature of the spine.. its something I dont know can be stopped.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:17 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,241 times
Weight-training, especially for your core and upper body

Keep a good manicure

Shiny, healthy-looking hair

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty