Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 04:41 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
I think once you've tried high tech gym clothes or shoes) you understand that this is the only type of clothing which is comforting your body ( doesn't get wet, dries fast, doesn't push or pull etc) and other clothes mostly torturing it and making you suffer ... they just can't resist...
Bingo! I worked out at the gym for years stubbornly wearing my cotton WalMart shorts in a misguided attempt to fight vanity and save a few dollars. But once I finally tried a pair on, I realized that this is what I would be wearing for the rest of my life. No uncomfortable fasteners. No waistband digging in. No looking fruitlessly for a pair of jeans that would fit...and the holy grail, not bag later in the day as they are worn. I actually feel less sloppy wearing leggings since they don't wrinkle!

As a 63 year old woman, I do only wear them with a long tunic top. As long as my butt is covered (not that there's anything wrong with my butt, just my concession to my age and to ward off judgmental people like on here), I feel dressed and appropriate for any occasion.

I was especially convinced that going for what feels good even if it bucks what "other people"/society thinks or is in fashion (yup, I know they are in fashion now, but who knows what will come next?) when I attended a fashion exhibit of clothing from centuries ago. That wooden contraption that women wore under their skirts to make it go out several feet wide? Crazy! They couldn't sit down or go through many doors except sideways. Bustles on the back of their skirts? Many caught on fire if they stood too close to a fireplace! But the worst were the corsets as women tried to get sixteen and even fourteen inch waists, resulting in deformity, miscarriages, and premature death. But so many women strived for this.

I know what I like. I know what's good for me. Even if I wanted to, there's no way to dress to please everyone. We all have different taste. So I will keep on keeping on, but this discussion has been interesting!

Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How old are you that you make fun of people based on the type of pants they choose to wear? Seriously, laughing out loud at people in public? No, that is not something that a polite person would do. I'd be more embarrassed to be seen with someone who "laughed out loud" at other people then I would be if I were with a 500 lb woman in yoga pants.
We are in the car, so the person doesn't hear or see. Mostly they are in the grocery store parking lot. People often look (and act) their worst at the grocery.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:04 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
As I walked out of my gym today in my work-out clothes it hit me why some women wear these all the time. Maybe they are saying "hey, look at me, I go to the gym, I work out, I'm not a couch potato". What do you guys think?
I realize this isn't the only post where this theory has been proposed, but no, I don't think this is overwhelmingly about "look at me" attention. Many people just want to be comfortable while they are out running errands and such. The people who are looking for attention - you can spot that a mile away, and it's not usually athleisure wear they are sporting, no pun intended. Or if they are, it's probably velour and there's extra bling, perfect shoes, makeup, etc and they look like they are auditioning to be backup dancers in a video. A non-descript woman walking around in yoga pants is probably just going about her business without regard to whether people are noticing or admiring her booty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Bingo! I worked out at the gym for years stubbornly wearing my cotton WalMart shorts in a misguided attempt to fight vanity and save a few dollars. But once I finally tried a pair on, I realized that this is what I would be wearing for the rest of my life. No uncomfortable fasteners. No waistband digging in. No looking fruitlessly for a pair of jeans that would fit...and the holy grail, not bag later in the day as they are worn. I actually feel less sloppy wearing leggings since they don't wrinkle!
Ditto. I scoffed at a lot of the form-fitting workout wear for a long time before I tried it, and then realized that yes indeed, it actually does work as designed and is much more comfortable and conducive to exercising than t-shirt/shorts/baggy jogging/track pants. Also makes it much easier to check your form. Never going back.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
I'm not a woman but I find it surprising that yoga pants are more comfortable than jogging pants/track pants (it just seems uncomfortable to be walking around with a wedgie all day) ?
I wear all of the above. All are the correct size, and none result in a wedgie.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I realize this isn't the only post where this theory has been proposed, but no, I don't think this is overwhelmingly about "look at me" attention. Many people just want to be comfortable while they are out running errands and such. The people who are looking for attention - you can spot that a mile away, and it's not usually athleisure wear they are sporting, no pun intended. Or if they are, it's probably velour and there's extra bling, perfect shoes, makeup, etc and they look like they are auditioning to be backup dancers in a video. A non-descript woman walking around in yoga pants is probably just going about her business without regard to whether people are noticing or admiring her booty.
Also, since lggings and such are pretty ubiquitous, we (probably correctly) assume that most individuals aren't noticing our very common attire, anyway.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Also, since lggings and such are pretty ubiquitous, we (probably correctly) assume that most individuals aren't noticing our very common attire, anyway.
Yes, this. Once people start seeing a lot of other people wearing them in public, they figure it's acceptable now so they join the bandwagon (if they desire to do so, that is).

Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

As a 63 year old woman, I do only wear them with a long tunic top. As long as my butt is covered (not that there's anything wrong with my butt, just my concession to my age and to ward off judgmental people like on here), I feel dressed and appropriate for any occasion.

I was especially convinced that going for what feels good even if it bucks what "other people"/society thinks or is in fashion (yup, I know they are in fashion now, but who knows what will come next?) when I attended a fashion exhibit of clothing from centuries ago. That wooden contraption that women wore under their skirts to make it go out several feet wide? Crazy! They couldn't sit down or go through many doors except sideways. Bustles on the back of their skirts? Many caught on fire if they stood too close to a fireplace! But the worst were the corsets as women tried to get sixteen and even fourteen inch waists, resulting in deformity, miscarriages, and premature death. But so many women strived for this.

I know what I like. I know what's good for me. Even if I wanted to, there's no way to dress to please everyone. We all have different taste. So I will keep on keeping on, but this discussion has been interesting!
So how do you do yoga with a tunic on? Seems like it would be difficult to move from lying down to sitting up with the tunic still under the butt.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
I saw a young gal yesterday wearing multicam combat pants the other day. I just thought it was awesome seeing a gal wearing something other than the spandex leggings.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
Having read all 20 pages of this thread, it seems that the division here is between

A) Women who like the convenience and comfort of yoga pants, don't see them as particually sexualized, and don't really want to think about how sexualized they are in the minds of many men and women

B) Men and women who either like or dislike yoga pants because of how sexualized they are in their opinion

It seems like it's just a matter of whether one sees tight, thin, form-fitting clothing from the hips down as being sexual or not.

A poster earlier pointed out that many of her jeans were as much or more form-fitting than her yoga pants, and that's a fair point. The only difference here seems to be the thin and occasionally sheer nature of some leggings/yoga pants, which I think some women (and men) are uncomfortable with, whereas tight jeans seem to be pretty universally accepted as OK.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:24 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
Thanks to the ladies who provided tunic recommendations, in this thread and in a rep comment. I am now swimming in options!

To all others, apologies for the thread jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty