Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 06:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

I don't find it at all difficult to find long tops.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Women should be able to wear or not wear anything they want. I appreciate catching a glimpse of a well toned lady in yoga pants. My gaze never lingers long enough to make anyone uncomfortable. Never. Rarely.
Do you appreciate catching a glimpse of an overweight older, lumpy and bumpy woman in yoga pants or spandex leggings? That's what a good part of the thread is about, not the women who look great in almost anything.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 PM

People who are highly fit aren't the only people at liberty to wear whatever they deem most personally comfortable. Anybody of any fitness level is at liberty to do the same. You don't "earn the right" to wear what you choose.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:19 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

People need to figure out what looks attractive on them, and wear that, instead of trying to stuff themselves into whatever's trending at any given moment.
Attractive to whom? That's the problem.

An old friend of mine thought she looked sexy in tight short shorts and spaghetti strap tank tops. She was about 5'4 and 210. It wasn't attractive to me, but she thought she was irresistible.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People who are highly fit aren't the only people at liberty to wear whatever they deem most personally comfortable. Anybody of any fitness level is at liberty to do the same. You don't "earn the right" to wear what you choose.

Of course they are at liberty to wear what they want. But people who wear the kind of outfits we've been discussing here will be made fun of, but not usually directly to that person's face. However, people do notice. DH will say, did you see that?!!!?? He is a polite man but does laugh out loud.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One has the right to wear almost anything. Whether or not one's choice is in good taste and is as attractive as one thinks, is another matter.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:23 PM

876 posts, read 813,950 times
Quote:
Do you appreciate catching a glimpse of an overweight older, lumpy and bumpy woman in yoga pants or spandex leggings? That's what a good part of the thread is about, not the women who look great in almost anything.
If I see larger women wearing form fitting leggings, I admire them for not giving a crap what they look like in public. It's part of what makes people watching fun. I'm not overweight, but am no matinee idol myself, so I don't judge others, I have too many flaws.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
One has the right to wear almost anything. Whether or not one's choice is in good taste and is as attractive as one thinks, is another matter.
And both "good taste" and "attractive" are subjective, by definition. So it is wholly dependent on who's opinion matters most, which is obviously going to vary by person.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 PM

219 posts, read 163,069 times
Most wear it because it's comfortable especially if you are doing outdoorsy activities or traveling. I only wear it when I'm at the gym but I know a lot of people who prefer it because they are more comfortable than jeans.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:27 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
There are a ton of reasons why...

It's an easy look to pull off. Shower, ponytail or topknot, minimal makeup, yoga pants and top, out the door...neater-looking than pajama pants, easier than a dressier outfit. Works for someone who is very busy, very tired or in a big hurry..

It's comfortable.

It's easier to find clothes that fit. Unlike men, we can't just go by waist and length when buying pants. Different brands and different cuts are all, well, different. It can be HARD to find a pair of jeans that fits well, no matter what your size or body type might be. And for a woman, a pair of jeans that doesn't fit well can be much more unflattering than a pair that doesn't fit a man properly because men, in general, wear their clothing a little bit looser than women do. My husband is between a 32 and 34 right now. 33s aren't always easy to find, so he often wears his 34s with a belt, and he looks fine. For a woman, wearing jeans that are looser often looks "sloppy" or overly casual, since in general, women typically wear more form-fitting jeans. If you're going to look casual or "sloppy," might as well do so in something comfortable that actually fits.

Bloating is a real thing for many women while on their period. Certain days of the month, pants might not fit right or might be really uncomfortable.

A lot of young women go through a lot of weight changes related to pregnancy. She might have just had a baby and can't quite fit into her "regular" clothes yet but doesn't want to go out and buy a new size because she's working on getting down to her pre-baby weight. She might be pregnant right now but just isn't showing, at least to a judgmental person who doesn't know her. She might be in-between pregnancies and might not even be sure of what size she needs or will need in "regular" clothing, so she's kind of winging it.

It's often more affordable (obviously not talking Lululemon). A pair of leggings from Walmart costs about $8. For someone who is on a tight budget but who really needs clothes, it can seem like the obvious choice compared to a $30 pair of jeans.

It's easy to care for. No special instructions. Toss them in the wash and then the dryer. That's it.

It's easy to mix and match pieces. A pair of good-fitting black leggings goes with ANYTHING.

It's easy to move around in, which is good for, say, a stay-at-home mom who is chasing after small children and/or cleaning and such all day.

For some, it's very figure-flattering.

Are those enough reasons? *eyeroll*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty