Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:19 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My mother had that done many years ago, insurance paid for it. A guy at work just had it done last year - also paid by insurance.
Yes, I know someone, too. If the sagging lids are interfering with vision, then it’s covered. My friend looked like she’d gone a few rounds in a boxing ring for a few weeks, but then she looked wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Where do I start, LOL. I've "done it all."

At 45, I was shocked to discover the sagging, crepey neck already. After discussing it with a plastic surgeon, I went with the whole face lift. I was delighted with it, and people thought I looked so much better but no one knew why (if it's correctly done, this is the result). Only part that remained was forehead lines and frown vertical lines between the eyes. I even had that "corrugator" muscle cut to get rid of them (so I wouldn't look angry, LOL) but that was a fail. Botox is useless if the lines are already there.

Sagging jowls and crepey, fat-pad neck are the most aging. The hooded eyes make a HUGE improvement when corrected. Both of these were part of the face-lift.

I had lipo on my thighs and it was fabulous to not have them rub together anymore. The little bit of saddlebags I had are gone too.

I had a tummy-tuck at 48, so no more rolls of fat there---flat stomach.

Breast reduction (at 48) was a HUGE life-changer. I'm not satisfied with the shape, 100%, but that can only be achieved with implants which would be kind of ridiculous.

Tried to get rid of the swingin' upper arm flab, but it only partially worked. Smaller, thinner swingin' flab now, LOL. Unhappy about that.

At 63, I look OK, not fantastic. No one can tell I've had any "work" since I just look normal. I can only think how awful I'd look without it, LOL. I'm just seeing the reoccurance of sagging around the mouth and chin, so may have a "touch-up" since it's way cheaper down here. It's common with the expats here, for that reason.

I did all this on a low-income too. Guess I could have put that $$ in investments, but one's body and contentment factor is an investment too.

Always been more or less normal weight. It was just about fat distribution, as was already said. I've always worked out a lot too, but that can only do so much.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I had Botox and loved it. Brought up my eyebrows and made me look younger. It was very little so I didn’t have that frozen look.

I was tempted by cool-sculpt but after your description of more sagging in the neck I am not as inclined. I actually would love to do a lower facelift where they can pull up my jowls.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is a great thread idea, Kathryn! I have several spots on my face that I wouldn’t mind being rid of. They are colorless, so not very noticeable, thickened patches, but still shouldn’t be there.

I don’t feel as though I have any disposable income for cosmetic surgery, but if I did, I’d get a nose job, and have some Botox. I would make a budget for laser hair removal, but my hair is too light, so it doesn’t work. My biggest challenge is chin hair.
If it's just a few hairs, just do electrolysis. That's permanent and cheap. Laser takes several treatments and like you say, doesn't work on light hair. I had my legs zapped for the dark hairs and the blond hairs that were left are wild and crazy. I just let them be as they are hard to see except in perfect lighting. I guess getting shot with lasers might do that!

Old 01-05-2019, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I had Botox and loved it. Brought up my eyebrows and made me look younger. It was very little so I didn’t have that frozen look.

I was tempted by cool-sculpt but after your description of more sagging in the neck I am not as inclined. I actually would love to do a lower facelift where they can pull up my jowls.
I liked that my aesthetician was so honest and up front. She did tell me that 1) sagging in the neck is not a given - some people don't have an issue at all with it, in fact, in some people their overall skin texture is improved, and 2) some people have a bit but it's easily addressed with treatments that don't involve surgery, and 3) occasionally someone will still want a neck lift after the coolsculpting.

I have good elasticity to my skin so I'm willing to take the chance - I figure 2 chances out of 3 isn't bad - LOL. At the most, I'm in about $2200 at the end of it, and minus the fat. So surely a neck lift would be easier without that fat pad if I HAD to go that route. That's how I'm justifying it, I mean looking at it.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If it's just a few hairs, just do electrolysis. That's permanent and cheap. Laser takes several treatments and like you say, doesn't work on light hair. I had my legs zapped for the dark hairs and the blond hairs that were left are wild and crazy. I just let them be as they are hard to see except in perfect lighting. I guess getting shot with lasers might do that!
LOL you know what's funny? Yesterday when I was getting my dark spots zapped with a laser, I smelled something burning. Now, this was uncomfortable and felt a little hot but it didn't feel like my skin was burning or anything like that, and the aesthetician told me that it was little hairs burning on my arms! She specifically asked if I had dark hairs on my arm I was worried about and no, I don't - I don't have them but if I did I certainly wouldn't be WORRIED about them if she couldn't even see them! But when I smelled the burning, she told me "Don't worry about that - it's just those light little hairs - they'll grow back." I sure hope they don't grow back all crazy! LOL

Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, so today, the price was right so I got some "age spots" aka "wisdom marks" (please!) zapped on my hands and one on my cheek. Supposedly they will flake off over the next few weeks so we'll see. I am contemplating coolscupture for my chin - I am genetically predisposed to a double chin and a crepey neck. The coolscupture won't address wrinkles but it will remove the fat pad (which is definitely there) so who knows.

Have you had anything "done" and if so, what would you recommend and what would you avoid like the plague? (Ie, botox - LOL!)
Please keep us updated on your progress, especially if you go ahead with the coolsculpture. I am in my late 50's and my complaints about my appearance (besides about 25 extra pounds I need to shed) are EXACTLY the same as yours. A few age spots ( prefer to call them "sun spots") on my face and my genetically inherited double chin and "jowls" that are starting to form.

My mother had the "fat pad" you are talking about removed about 25 years ago and even in her 80's now, she has absolutely no sagging under her neck or double chin. But she also had a complete face lift a few years prior to that, something I cannot afford to do.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:22 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, so today, the price was right so I got some "age spots" aka "wisdom marks" (please!) zapped on my hands and one on my cheek. Supposedly they will flake off over the next few weeks so we'll see. I am contemplating coolscupture for my chin - I am genetically predisposed to a double chin and a crepey neck. The coolscupture won't address wrinkles but it will remove the fat pad (which is definitely there) so who knows.

Have you had anything "done" and if so, what would you recommend and what would you avoid like the plague? (Ie, botox - LOL!)
I’ve had and recommend the photo facial. After living in Phoenix, I was getting brown patches along with redness. The photo facial cleaned that up nicely and added collagen. My skin tone still looks much better after several years. Pass on the Juvederm lip filler, I liked the look, but it only lasted about a year and I don’t like needles. Several friends like botox but I have zero interest in trying it.

The vampire facials which are micro needling, look interesting and may give one a try in the future. They are about encouraging your own collagen to work for you which gives better results than a filler. It involves needles but not super invasive. If only they could invent a lazer to zap moles, I had some removed from my face and that shot hurt! But the results are worth it.

Last edited by Taz22; 01-05-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
I want to get a breast reduction. I've been talking about it for years but have been hesitating to take the plunge. This year I am going to try to get insurance to pay for it. I believe they will for legitimate medical reasons.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Nice treat to give yourself K.A. Sometimes life warrants that little pick me up.

Had Botox.. (migraines) so ...my scowl lines seemed to be less intense.

Not sure if there is a non evasive procedure for saggy baggies under the eyes...but that's on my list. Cucumbers ...and Prep H...aren't really a good combo ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty