Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 04:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm male, but I was having a conversation about this with others and the answers they gave weren't satisfactory.

On some occasions a get how it could help add blush to skin and cover a bruise or whatever, but beyond that (in my humble opinion) it turns into a clown show.

Every women I met has been more attractive to guys I know without lipstick or heavy eye shadow or whatever else there is.

I'm not saying everyone is a natural beauty, and brushing hair or making yourself clean is good, but at some level masking your face with dyes and paint becomes off putting.

I knew someone who was really cute, but when she dressed up and made herself up It became distasteful.

I get doing it if your in a theater play or something but most guys I speak to share my opinion that lipstick and whatnot detracts from a women's overall aesthetic.
I think right now, the style is for women to wear REALLY heavy make-up. I'm a woman, and I don't understand the painted on eyebrows and faux lashes that everyone knows aren't real. A little make-up is good in my opinion, a full on drag show is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 04:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Makeup is simply a grooming tool for most of us, like styling your hair or wearing a nice outfit. Even though I am WFH, I still get up and put on make up and do my hair. I just like to be neat and clean. Some women wear heavy make up and that is their prerogative. I guess if they like that look, then that is what they are going to do. At least that choice is not invasive like heavy perfume.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:14 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
What if someone is ugly without makeup but beautiful with it?

Everyone is not a natural beauty.

There is no need to concern with how another woman chooses to present to the world!

Old 06-23-2020, 08:39 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The other one had those tattooed-on eyebrows, too. Those rarely, if ever, look good. Always overdone, always obvious.
Mine look fantastic. VERY natural. Defintely not overdone or obvious. And certainly much better than before I had them microbladed (patchy and thin due to age). When I tell people I've had my brows done, they're shocked, and tend to get suuuuuper close to get a good look at the detail. (Of course I won't be allowing that anymore. LOL)

I had my brows done in December, and I'm so glad, especially since I haven't been wearing makeup during quarantine. I still have good looking brows. Love em! (Ignore the green shadow in the pic ... it was for a costume. LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
Why do women wear makeup?-4b4e8c0d-6c6f-4fda-ba34-c2183414e275.jpeg  

Old 06-23-2020, 08:42 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times
You might think a lot of women are makeup free when in fact they are wearing makeup. Not everyone wears a palette of eyeshadow, lipstick or blush

Old 06-23-2020, 08:53 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm male, but I was having a conversation about this with others and the answers they gave weren't satisfactory.

On some occasions a get how it could help add blush to skin and cover a bruise or whatever, but beyond that (in my humble opinion) it turns into a clown show.

Every women I met has been more attractive to guys I know without lipstick or heavy eye shadow or whatever else there is.

I'm not saying everyone is a natural beauty, and brushing hair or making yourself clean is good, but at some level masking your face with dyes and paint becomes off putting.

I knew someone who was really cute, but when she dressed up and made herself up It became distasteful.

I get doing it if your in a theater play or something but most guys I speak to share my opinion that lipstick and whatnot detracts from a women's overall aesthetic.
What you're asking is this:

WHY DO WOMEN CHOOSE AN APPEARANCE THAT I DO NOT PREFER?

A woman's appearance is about what she prefers and, perhaps, about what she thinks those others whose opinion she values prefer.

Look, I'm a guy. Why do I wear my hair the way I do? Three reasons: I like it, my wife likes it, it's professionally acceptable for my employer. Nothing else matters.

The exact same dynamic applies to a woman and make-up.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:54 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You have some very extreme feelings about make-up.

I would suggest this - choose women who don't wear makeup. The natural type. Some well-scrubbed women don't wear makeup. Do not harras the vast majority of women who wear some makeup. Or a lot of it. It's their face and their choice. Not yours.

This is very simple.

There are several types of women who don't wear makeup at all.

1, The Natural Type - Hippie-ish women who like being "fresh-faced and well-scrubbed". Not many women choose to eschew these days. Makeup use has a lot to do with what is stylish. You would have had a lot better of a chance finding an attractive, non-makeup wearing woman in the late 60s - early 70s. Even then, not all when avoided makeup. I was in middle school and all of my friends loved makeup. So, is time travel an option for you, because Makeup is having a bit of a"moment" right now. The "Natural Look" is just not "in".

Makeup, in modern times, has ALWAYS been stylish. By modern, I mean from the 1920s on. Before the 1920s "nice women" did not wear make-up. Or much of it.

From the 1920s on, makeup has been fashionable. Different types, but the basics of mascara, lip coloring, rouge, or later blush, are and have been staples. I know women who don't wear foundation or just wear a tinted moisturizer. Some women opt for natural colors. Or don't wear a lot of eye shadow.

2. Another type of woman who doesn't wear make-up? Women who don't care much about their appearance.

3. Ultra religious women. Are you seeking an Amish woman? Consider joining an ultra-strict religion. Holiness Apostolic women don't wear makeup. I think Seventh Day Adventists also avoid makeup. Or is it jewelry. Catholic nuns also do not wear makeup. They have vows of chastity, though, which may be inconvenient for you.

The rest of the women wear makeup. AND - we do it FOR OUR SELVES. We are not seeking the opinions of MEN - or looking to please them.

Also, NOT ALL MEN AGREE WITH YOU. Many men find makeup attractive.
Maybe the men you spoke with do not represent all men. Just you, and your friends. Ever think about that? Maybe you are a group of men who has t

The beauty of the women in question doesn't matter. I'd say that "naturally beautiful women" probably wear more makeup than average and below-average women do. Beauty is also subjective though.

This has been my observation. It can be backed up by the fact that women in the entertainment field, on average, are embued with better appearance than those who are not.
Those women wear a lot of makeup.

You come across as controlling and judgmental. As a man, maybe you don't have a say in whether women wear makeup - or not. Have you thought about that?

Your "humble opinion" comes across as anything but humble, BTW. A "clown show'? Nice... You also hardly speak for the majority of men.

You come across as chauvinistic and entitled, two attributes that repel most women more than feces scented aftershave.

I'd also suggest that you take a really good look at yourself. And, not only your physical appearance. My very educated guess is that you have trouble with women and associate with men who are similar to you. Perhaps consider counseling.

Best of luck.
Sheena, I"m only going to quibble with a couple of details, here. RE: the history of makeup and its "acceptability" and popularization, that happened after the film industry evolved to the point of needing a new kind of makeup. Through the20's and 30's, it was mainly only Hollywood that used makeup, and it was still stigmatized for general use by women, until Max Factor, whose career was tied to Hollywood and its changing needs make-up -wise (for subtler forms of it, as cameras & film quality improved), invented a type of makeup that could be used every day. It was almost the 40's, at that point. I looked it up just now, to check to see if my own understanding of this history was correct.
https://www.beautylish.com/a/vxspr/t...-of-max-factor

And while generally speaking, nationwide the trend has been pro-makeup, starting in the high school years, for at least a couple of generations, I know Gen-X and Millennial women, who still don't wear makeup and never have, and that seems normal to me. Maybe it's a NorCal thing in part (depending to some extent on the community), or a Northwest thing, including NorCal in the "Northwest" (Seattle/Western WA, Oregon), but the no-makeup preference is not dying out, from what I see, and it's not related to any hippie/neo-hippie movement, or anything else. There are women who simply were raised in an environment, where makeup use wasn't typical, so it just wasn't part of their world. It simply doesn't occur to such women to wear makeup.

This is why I suggested to the OP, that he consider relocating. We don't have any info on the OP: age and location, for starters.

I've been told by several women over the years, FWIW, that men may say they don't like makeup on women, but they unconsciously react positively to it. That's interesting.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Unpopular opinion here, I am a woman who does not wear makeup as a rule. What I notice (it doesn't really bother me though) is beautiful young women in the full bloom of youth, looking as lovely as they ever will in their lives, overdoing it with makeup. Like pink/red/orange eyeshadow. I don't feel it enhances the appearance. Seems like it is just a novelty thing. I guess I am jealous since my blooming rose days are decades behind me!

Old 06-23-2020, 01:57 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Mine look fantastic. VERY natural. Defintely not overdone or obvious. And certainly much better than before I had them microbladed (patchy and thin due to age). When I tell people I've had my brows done, they're shocked, and tend to get suuuuuper close to get a good look at the detail. (Of course I won't be allowing that anymore. LOL)

I had my brows done in December, and I'm so glad, especially since I haven't been wearing makeup during quarantine. I still have good looking brows. Love em! (Ignore the green shadow in the pic ... it was for a costume. LOL)
Looks great!

Old 06-23-2020, 03:56 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Just like the men's club has a code they follow, women have one they must be prettiest and attract the most desirable man but that is changing. Girlls emulate their idols like music artists and so on.

It is media and the belief they are not pretty girls and that the only way to be pretty is to use makeup because that is what they are taught by fashion and other girls. If the media would honor those with a natural look that is what the girls will do. Women judge each other negatively for being "plain".

Makeup is part of the office uniform especially if you are meeting clients in your job. It must be toned down maybe some foundation, mascara, and lip balm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty