Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:06 AM

709 posts, read 1,767,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Those New Jersey housewives sure get a bad rap! Makes me NOT want to move to NJ...
Don't ever move to New Jersey because you might end up getting whacked by Tony Soprano or Paulie Gualtieri. You should have seen what Paulie did to this Russian guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 04:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I respectfully disagree.

It is MUCH easier IMO, to maintain longer hair than shorter hair.
I would have to agree as well that having long hair isn't hard to maintain at all. Mine is almost to my butt, and I just wash it at night, braid it while I sleep, and it's dry in the morning.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
What's really tacky is people with just a FEW long fingernails. What is the point of that? Cut those things off (and that includes man with long pinky nails, yuck).

The latest craze here in the south seems to be Toenail tips. Artificial tips put on your toes so that your toe nails can be really long, decorated, and hanging over the ends of your shoes. My, how classy and attractive!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
What's really tacky is people with just a FEW long fingernails. What is the point of that? Cut those things off (and that includes man with long pinky nails, yuck).
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
The latest craze here in the south seems to be Toenail tips. Artificial tips put on your toes so that your toe nails can be really long, decorated, and hanging over the ends of your shoes. My, how classy and attractive!
How weird. What happens when you put on your hiking boots?

Not for the active types, I guess.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
Long fingernails: What on earth are they for?
I don't know.
My nails grow very fast; I have to cut and file them once every week or two to keep them at my preferred length (fingertip length or shorter).
I also like my nails rounded.
I never saw the point (no pun intended) of sharp fingernails filed to a point, or especially of squared-off fingernails. That's just fugly. It's unflattering, no matter how pretty your hands are.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 AM

454 posts, read 796,118 times
I don't like them. I had them for a while, until I read about them being possible harbors for bacteria. No thank you!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
As long as one CLEANS their nails then length is NOT a hygiene issue! I know that I used to see people with completely grimy nails and they were short (below the fingertip) and it was quite obvious that they never even thought of cleaning their nails (shudder).

I have no issues with typing, dialing a phone or completing all of the tasks that those with shorter nails complete. It is purely a personal preference and I would be seriously disgusted with ANYONE preparing a meal without washing their hands and running a nail brush under their nails (not to mention removing ALL rings!!!).

I do not have 'dragon lady nails, nor are they filed to a point, nor squared off. They are very nice ovals that compliment my hands. As long and my husband likes them (and he DOES!) then I am not worried about any other opinions. I detest when other women judge the personal preferences of others (except hygienic grooming!).

Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM

260 posts, read 909,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I've never been a fan of really long nails. I keep mine as short as possible, a habit I picked up while doing martial arts. Those super long, fake, acrylic things are just nasty and trashy looking.

What really skeeves me is long toenails. Ewwww!
You made me spit Pepsi all over my screen! I was dating a guy about 3 years ago and he came over for dinner and to watch a movie. I keep a little basket next to my recliner with lots of little things... nail clippers, nail file, flossers, chapstick etc. I went into the bathroom and came out a few minutes later and he kicked his sandal off and was clipping his toenails! Needless to say I never saw him again.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I would have to agree as well that having long hair isn't hard to maintain at all. Mine is almost to my butt, and I just wash it at night, braid it while I sleep, and it's dry in the morning.
Ditto. I have very thick, very long hair, and it's not hard to take care of. I have had very short hair in the past and it was a pain. When it's short you have to keep cutting it to keep the style, and also if you sleep on it you have bedhead in the morning so you pretty much have to restyle it every day. With long hair, you just keep it clean. You don't have to keep cutting it. You don't have to use styling products in it. I keep mine back in a ponytail, clip, or braid most of the time. I had a hard time keeping my hair out of my face when it was short, it wasn't long enough to braid right and the ponytails and clips wouldn't hold all the hair back. Bandana's worked OK with short hair, but made my head feel hot and there were just some situations where you don't want to wear a bandana, and they also made your hair look funky when you took it off. I feel that long hair is much easier to deal with, too.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM

41 posts, read 128,281 times
They're nasty especially when food preparation is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty