Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It is against the law to deny emergency medical care to someone, there are laws in place to protect the environment, there are a multitude of government and private programs to help those that are not affluent go to college and there are also laws to protect people in the workplace, it just so happens that there is not a law that says they need to keep paying someone more than someone else to do the same job.
Pre existing conditions aren't an emergency, yet without health care reform some will be denied benefits, some will reach a lifetime max, some will be steered to palliative care before it's necessary. Environmental laws are skewed by finance and industry. Just this summer there was a bill that would have doubled the interest on student loans. It's true there's no law that says you can't let a long time employee go to save money, but there is the matter of principle. I've seen a friend that was a good, loyal and talented employee let go 2 years before he could get his full retirement. There are many more examples just in my experience. On the other hand I've seen people who deserved almost nothing, who were protected and retired with a generous pension. That's what I'm getting at. Where's the middle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
I just found out Florida is a "No fault" state when it comes to auto insurance. Meaning, unlike New Jersey, you can't sue for anything and everything unless you can prove permanent damage. LOL!!!!

In NJ, if you are rear ended, you can claim back-pain, which they can't prove, and get at least 60,000 out of it! HA HA HA !!!

FREE MONEY !
We do pay for that though - that is why NJ insurance is so high !

Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I just found out Florida is a "No fault" state when it comes to auto insurance. Meaning, unlike New Jersey, you can't sue for anything and everything unless you can prove permanent damage. LOL!!!!

In NJ, if you are rear ended, you can claim back-pain, which they can't prove, and get at least 60,000 out of it! HA HA HA !!!

FREE MONEY !
Not sure you'll get much support for that kind of attitude down in Fla.where they take a dim view of people scamming the system to get undeserved entitlements that we all end up paying for with higher insurance rates.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post

FREE MONEY !
I thought it was funny to note, when I registered my truck in Texas (from Tennessee), they agreed to accept my out of state insurance as financial responsibility so long as is wasn't from a No-Fault state, Florida being one of 2-3 that was mentioned specifically..

Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 AM

99 posts, read 203,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
right to work also means that any of those BS "noncompete" agreements these cooporations make you sign are pretty much non-enforceable. Unless you are involved in trade secrets of some sort, you can toss those things in the garbage in FL.

that's a good thing if you're a typical employee.
Actually, if you sign a non-compete agreement in Florida, it's quite enforcable. Don't kid yourself. A non-compete is a contract. If you violate that contract and your former employer pursues it, you will regret it...even in Florida.

The problem with some non-complete agreements is that the employers are either too lazy or too cheap to make sure the agreement they ask the employee to sign is legal, and enforcable. A legal non-complete is not the kind of document that most "average Joe's" can write.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Actually, if you sign a non-compete agreement in Florida, it's quite enforcable. Don't kid yourself. A non-compete is a contract. If you violate that contract and your former employer pursues it, you will regret it...even in Florida.

The problem with some non-complete agreements is that the employers are either too lazy or too cheap to make sure the agreement they ask the employee to sign is legal, and enforcable.
Bingo. What determines enforceability is things like time and distance. A 6 month non-compete with a 5 mile radius might be enforceable, whereas a 2-year/25 miles ridiculous one is going to just get thrown out.

Essentially, it has to be written as to not to appear to hurt the livelihood of the person in question.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,128 times
I understand about at-will employment but....is it fair to do your job well, your boss has no issue with you but you are still pushed out (with no backup from your boss) because some employees do not like you? Are we in kindergarten? Once again, there is no issue with job performance -- some people just don't like you. Is it fair? Should someone lose their livelihood because of a few? Why is there no recourse? Looking for a job every 2-3 months because this one or that one does not like you---never about job performance is VERY STRESSFUL to put it mildly. There must be something that can be done.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkanhetnietmeer View Post
I understand about at-will employment but....is it fair to do your job well, your boss has no issue with you but you are still pushed out (with no backup from your boss) because some employees do not like you? Are we in kindergarten? Once again, there is no issue with job performance -- some people just don't like you. Is it fair? Should someone lose their livelihood because of a few? Why is there no recourse? Looking for a job every 2-3 months because this one or that one does not like you---never about job performance is VERY STRESSFUL to put it mildly. There must be something that can be done.
If you are looking for a job for 2-3 months because "this one or that one does not like you" it is a problem with you.
I have never had a problem with any job in Florida getting fired because someone did not like me or some of the other silly reasons posted in the thread. That is over 20 plus years of working in Florida.
If you are professional and a good worker then 99.9999% of the time you are not going to get fired because someone does not like you. This does not include those that get canned due to budget cuts, downsizing, etc.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkanhetnietmeer View Post
Start your own business.It's common that employees dislike the boss, but the outcome is the opposite.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post

The problem with some non-complete agreements is that the employers are either too lazy or too cheap to make sure the agreement they ask the employee to sign is legal, and enforcable. A legal non-complete is not the kind of document that most "average Joe's" can write.
It is not necessarily that the employer is too lazy or cheap. Some will cast a wide net knowing it is unenforceable but realizing the employee will have to pay some serious legal fees in fighting it. I've seen this tactic used a few times by the same company. Whenever a valued employee tried to take another job they would block it using the non-compete. Most employees capitualted. One employee hired a lawyer and got the non-compete waived. Cost him 15K. And the company still uses the same non-compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida