Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
Florida is an amazing place to live year around! I for one LOVE the heat and thunderstorms that everyone complains about. I love intense weather. I love when the sky turns black. I love the gusts of wind before a storm. I love how the rain brings relief on the hottest days. The weather here is very interesting. I spent 5 years in San Antonio, Texas and it was the longest 5 years of my life! If you want to talk hot, than talk about Texas. 100+ degree days are VERY common in the summer and not without humidity. No rain for weeks on end. Most of San Antonio's rain falls in winter, especially in the morning where it can be 30-40 degrees. Rain and cold winter weather just DO NOT mix. I cannot count how many days I couldn't get out of bed in San Antonio. Here, in Florida, I LOVE getting out of bed everyday. The air quality was horrendous in Texas and I found it hard to breathe.. Here in Florida, my lungs feel so clean and the humidity makes my skin baby soft. I love that I can keep my tan year around. I love swimming in the Atlantic ocean with the pounding waves. I love the clear and gentle aquamarine water and powder white sand of the gulf coast. Weekend trips to the Keys and feeling a world away or spending a day at a world class amusement park with state of the art roller coasters and thrill rides is not out of the question, as it can be in many other parts of the country. Florida is very diverse with many different regions that suit all types of people. Southern conservatives will love Jacksonville. Those seeking Latin flavor and night life will love Miami. The gulf coast is for those seeking a more laid back life style. Sports enthusiasts will enjoy Tampa. I personally LOVE Orlando and think it is a very beautiful and interesting place! I love the lakes and rivers. I find the tourist industry (especially Orlando) to be interesting rather than annoying. It makes for a wide array of activities and things to see and do. There's always fun to be had down here. Florida's population is much more diverse than just old people and Spanish speakers. I've met many people I love and hold close to my heart here in the sunshine state. Not everyone is rude. I've met plenty of Texans with a chip on their shoulder. And considering I know how to talk to and deal with people, I find some of the rudest people aren't rude to me at all. I've never been a victim of crime here and neither has any member of my family. If you don't put yourself out there, you'll never have to worry about anything happening to you. I do not find the drivers here to be any worse than those in Texas. All of the reckless driving I've seen here, I saw in Texas too. Texas had an ENORMOUS amount of uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the roads. It was actually quite scary. Insurance told us the rates were going up because of this. Florida is my home state and I can't really imagine living anywhere ever again. Sure, there's plenty wrong with Florida, but there's also plenty right. Every state has it's good an bad. It's just what you're willing to compromise. For me, Florida really does not lack in any department as it does for other people. The one and only reason Florida gets bashed so frequently is that many people move down here expecting a certain way of life, and Florida does just not fit their bill, and that's fine. This place isn't for everyone. If you like having four seasons, building snowmen, skiing, or hiking mountains, Florida is NOT the place for you! If you don't like the idea of your car being the only way to get from point A to point B, than Florida is not the place for you. If you like cities with million plus populations, taxi services or monorails, a plethora of art galleries and museums, Florida is not the place for you. Texas did not fit my bill as the weather is just a little too chilly in winter, the beaches flat out SUCKED, it was too dry, and just did not have that tropical look that I love. I became accustomed to it after 5 years and accepted that there's more to the world than Florida, but I could never go back. I love my home state and I will stick by my answer, that yes, Florida is an awesome place to live year around! My only complaint is the bugs, but that's just about anywhere with this much water.
Nice post . I'm a Florida native, born and raised in the Tampa Bay area and there is no place else I would rather live. Pretty much agree with all you wrote.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Td1026 nailed it! Especially the storms and dark cloud stuff! I love that! Also the air IS much cleaner and the humidity helps the sinuses. Instant allergy relief = going to Miami!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
It's a tremendous place to live year round. It just takes some time to grow into. It's been three years for us, coming from Massachusetts, and finally this is home. We love it! If I can say this in August then imagine January and February.
And that's why you're back in MA now...

Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
And that's why you're back in MA now...
People do change, not a hard concept to follow...

Old 07-03-2011, 07:07 PM

257 posts, read 608,647 times
First time poster here and I just spent about an hour or so reading this thread....Very interesting comments by many..

I live on Eastern Long Island and visited the Jupiter area of Florida years ago to visit an aunt when I was much younger....I'm now almost 20 and I think constantly about moving off of Long Island to the Jupiter area of Florida...

I remember when my aunt use to drop me off at the ocean in Jupiter....people could park free on the side of the road and then walk thru the brush on a little path to get to the sandy beach......is it still that way? Is it still free to park? Is that particular beach in Jupiter still as beautiful as I remember it?

Also does Jupiter near the beach experience any severe flooding?

And finally, are there any fairly new townhomes near the beach in Jupiter that are safe and clean and under $200k? If yes, could you name them or link to them please?

I for one am looking forward to the Jupiter area of Florida....every place on earth has its good and its bad but I am more of a beach girl than I am a snow girl.

Any suggestion or advice will be greatly appreciated..

Thank you.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Welcome to the forum Fashion Girl,
You may have better responses to your questions if you started a new topic about life in Jupiter Florida as this topic is about a wider topic of peoples views of Florida in general.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 AM

81 posts, read 276,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
People continue to bash because they are trying to convince themselves they made the right decision by moving.

In the meantime, I am enjoying this glorious day with the sun shining, my butterflies flying and a cool breeze off the Bay. I am so thankful I get to live here!
I just don' get it? Why is there so much bashing of Florida on this site? I live in PA, I don't like it here either, but I'm not on the PA forums bashing PA. I will be moving to Florida in the near future, but coming on here to look for information turns people away with all the bashing. But there are also some positive posts on here too. No state is perfect. U have to take the good with the bad. I know that when I move to FL one day I know myself that it's not gonna be a vacation and I know its hot which I dont mind. I for one am happy to move one day so I don't have to deal with the cold anymore. I just can't deal with the chill in my bones anymore when it gets in the 40's, lol. I think it's just time for a change.

Im glad to see that your enjoying your glorious day. I know too myself I will be thankful to live there when I get there.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 AM

81 posts, read 276,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
Florida is an amazing place to live year around! I for one LOVE the heat and thunderstorms that everyone complains about. I love intense weather. I love when the sky turns black. I love the gusts of wind before a storm. I love how the rain brings relief on the hottest days. The weather here is very interesting. I spent 5 years in San Antonio, Texas and it was the longest 5 years of my life! If you want to talk hot, than talk about Texas. 100+ degree days are VERY common in the summer and not without humidity. No rain for weeks on end. Most of San Antonio's rain falls in winter, especially in the morning where it can be 30-40 degrees. Rain and cold winter weather just DO NOT mix. I cannot count how many days I couldn't get out of bed in San Antonio. Here, in Florida, I LOVE getting out of bed everyday. The air quality was horrendous in Texas and I found it hard to breathe.. Here in Florida, my lungs feel so clean and the humidity makes my skin baby soft. I love that I can keep my tan year around. I love swimming in the Atlantic ocean with the pounding waves. I love the clear and gentle aquamarine water and powder white sand of the gulf coast. Weekend trips to the Keys and feeling a world away or spending a day at a world class amusement park with state of the art roller coasters and thrill rides is not out of the question, as it can be in many other parts of the country. Florida is very diverse with many different regions that suit all types of people. Southern conservatives will love Jacksonville. Those seeking Latin flavor and night life will love Miami. The gulf coast is for those seeking a more laid back life style. Sports enthusiasts will enjoy Tampa. I personally LOVE Orlando and think it is a very beautiful and interesting place! I love the lakes and rivers. I find the tourist industry (especially Orlando) to be interesting rather than annoying. It makes for a wide array of activities and things to see and do. There's always fun to be had down here. Florida's population is much more diverse than just old people and Spanish speakers. I've met many people I love and hold close to my heart here in the sunshine state. Not everyone is rude. I've met plenty of Texans with a chip on their shoulder. And considering I know how to talk to and deal with people, I find some of the rudest people aren't rude to me at all. I've never been a victim of crime here and neither has any member of my family. If you don't put yourself out there, you'll never have to worry about anything happening to you. I do not find the drivers here to be any worse than those in Texas. All of the reckless driving I've seen here, I saw in Texas too. Texas had an ENORMOUS amount of uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the roads. It was actually quite scary. Insurance told us the rates were going up because of this. Florida is my home state and I can't really imagine living anywhere ever again. Sure, there's plenty wrong with Florida, but there's also plenty right. Every state has it's good an bad. It's just what you're willing to compromise. For me, Florida really does not lack in any department as it does for other people. The one and only reason Florida gets bashed so frequently is that many people move down here expecting a certain way of life, and Florida does just not fit their bill, and that's fine. This place isn't for everyone. If you like having four seasons, building snowmen, skiing, or hiking mountains, Florida is NOT the place for you! If you don't like the idea of your car being the only way to get from point A to point B, than Florida is not the place for you. If you like cities with million plus populations, taxi services or monorails, a plethora of art galleries and museums, Florida is not the place for you. Texas did not fit my bill as the weather is just a little too chilly in winter, the beaches flat out SUCKED, it was too dry, and just did not have that tropical look that I love. I became accustomed to it after 5 years and accepted that there's more to the world than Florida, but I could never go back. I love my home state and I will stick by my answer, that yes, Florida is an awesome place to live year around! My only complaint is the bugs, but that's just about anywhere with this much water.
Very nice post.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Likelhood of business failure down here always seems much higher for many reasons we always talk about.
Might you have some statistics to back that up?

I know that California 68%, Nevada 65%, New Hampshire 38%, Tennessee 36% and Colorado 33% are higher for small business failure according to this report.

Small business failure rates: California's is worst - May. 20, 2011

And according to Dun and Bradstreet there are 31 states with a higher rate than Florida.

http://www.dnbgov.com/pdf/USBusinessTrendsOct10.pdf

Of course opinion seems to dominate here rather than fact.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Take a good look at Northern New England. You may be pleasently suprised.
It seems that a lot of people are looking to move to the Northern Penninsula and Northern New England, which leads me to think they they love snow, cold, and lots of it. What in the heck were you thinking of moving to southern Florida???? Sorry to beat a dead horse, but some people really need to get to know themselves before they make such drastic moves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida