Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 AM

179 posts, read 566,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
We lived there for 6 years and now we're back north and we've got nothing good to say about year-round living in FL. It's a great place to visit, use, abuse, and then leave. Rick Scott was the last straw for us. High insurance rates, smarmy summers, love bugs, fire ants, daily electrical storms, etc. I don't think we realized how miserable we were there until we moved away and re-experienced forsythia, daffodils, hills, walking trails, etc. And yes, SNOW!!! Also the zombie-like neighbors, people who won't let themselves get too close or talk about their feelings because if they did then they'd realize their dreams haven't been met, their house is worth nil, and how unhappy they were in their decision to move to FL.

Remember this Post:
It's a tremendous place to live year round. It just takes some time to grow into. It's been three years for us, coming from Massachusetts, and finally this is home. We love it! If I can say this in August then imagine January and February.
This was you in Aug. 2008
And you were here 3 years,
then you had this post:
ipoetry 3 times?!? Did you think it...
__________________________________________________ _____________
To Each Their Own
All your concerns being duly noted, I hope your happy now.
We hope that every one that feels the way you do, packs up and leaves.
We also feel that, to come here to visit, use, and abuse, is not what our state is about. It's part of the reason there maybe some of those "unfriendly zombie-like people" you refer about. People like yourselves, created that atmosphere.
We are a state of generally open-minded people that enjoy other people, and like the ability to have year round weather that allows you to enjoy the outdoors. Walks on the beach, bike rides, cook outs, are pretty much things we can do with our families and friends year-round, amongst many other out-door activities. Florida is a "state of mind", you have to create your own happiness. The state can only provide you a place to build it.

Last edited by P Andrews; 05-04-2011 at 04:56 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 AM

179 posts, read 566,182 times

Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Andrews View Post
Remember this Post:
It's a tremendous place to live year round. It just takes some time to grow into. It's been three years for us, coming from Massachusetts, and finally this is home. We love it! If I can say this in August then imagine January and February.
then you had this post:
ipoetry
Yes, it's part of the dance new Floridians do in their heads to convince themselves that they made the right choice. Thankfully, some of us come out of our trance and forge back into real life! But thank you for researching my older posts. Must be too hot to go outside and live your own life, aye?!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,715 times
People are allowed to change their minds.

Quote:
Yes, it's part of the dance new Floridians do in their heads to convince themselves that they made the right choice. Thankfully, some of us come out of our trance and forge back into real life! But thank you for researching my older posts. Must be too hot to go outside and live your own life, aye?!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Remember this Post:
then you had this post:
To Each Their Own
We also feel that, to come here to visit, use, and abuse, is not what our state is about. It's part of the reason there maybe some of those "unfriendly zombie-like people" you refer about. People like yourselves, created that atmosphere.
We are a state of generally open-minded people that enjoy other people, and like the ability to have year round weather that allows you to enjoy the outdoors. Walks on the beach, bike rides, cook outs, are pretty much things we can do with our families and friends year-round, amongst many other out-door activities. Florida is a "state of mind", you have to create your own happiness. The state can only provide you a place to build it.
Couldn't rep you....

Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM

623 posts, read 966,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Couldn't rep you....
Don't worry in a few years she will be bashing her mass neighbors too

Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Dear boston904, I am from Boston, born, bred and raised and I won't be bashing my Mass. neighbors any time too soon as you wisecracked. Why can't you get it through your head? Florida isn't for everyone. Some of us just don't like it there. In return for warm winters I got nothing, absolutely nothing back. Right now I'm looking out of my opened windows (yup, we can open windows here) at the wide expanse of the Atlantic Ocean, Spring is budding all around, my belly is full of lobster roll and all is right with the world. I'll save bashing Mass to you.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Right now I'm looking out of my opened windows (yup, we can open windows here) at the wide expanse of the Atlantic Ocean, Spring is budding all around, my belly is full of lobster roll and all is right with the world. I'll save bashing Mass to you.
Yeah, but you could also be doing the same in Florida (fresher lobster notwithstanding)...... especially if you live close enough to the ocean you will still be getting sea breezes that would allow you to have no air conditioning for most - if not all - of the day.

Don't know where you lived in Florida, but if you got "nothing back," then you did not "give" enough to Florida. It's a different lifestyle than most anywhere else in the United States ... not one less fulfilling, but different.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, but you could also be doing the same in Florida (fresher lobster notwithstanding)...... especially if you live close enough to the ocean you will still be getting sea breezes that would allow you to have no air conditioning for most - if not all - of the day.

Don't know where you lived in Florida, but if you got "nothing back," then you did not "give" enough to Florida. It's a different lifestyle than most anywhere else in the United States ... not one less fulfilling, but different.
Totally agree, those who do not "get anything back" don't give anything in the first place. I have always said one gets as good as one gives.

I have my windows open right now, and have been outside on this beautiful breezy day watching the butterflies in my butterfly garden. - last weekend filled my belly with local crab. for me, as good as it gets!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:40 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,299 times
Quote:
Remember this Post:
then you had this post:
To Each Their Own

right on honey!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida