Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 04:10 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,968,226 times

Advertisements

come visit in june, july, august, september and see if u can handle the oppressive heat, humidity and tropical storms. many people think every day is 75 and sunny in florida but thats only for a few months in the winter. drive on the highways and see the traffic, socialize and see what the people are like. Pending where u go it may be a mostly hispanic, spanish speaking population (mostly south florida). realize that the next major hurricane could set this state back a long ways in regards to insurance, finances, employment, real estate, etc. living here is not vacationing here....u may not realize what u r getting involved in. its very hard to make any money here unless u have an education in a very good field and its still very competitve for the available jobs. i would think long and hard about your plans and certainly visit for awhile in the dead of summer. good luck.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:18 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
That's another thing. Sponsorsip. If one of us could get sponsorship, would we still need a visa? And would it cost anything to get a sponsorship? Sorry if that's a stupid question. lol

We're planning on getting married next year so that shouldn't be a problem. So that means he can work and I can't or vice versa? Is that indefinately or just a limited time?

Thanks for the link. Will have a look now.
If you want to live and work over here you NEED a VISA. It all depends on which visa you need to get to achieve that. You can not live here without a VISA. Depending on the Visa depends on whther the Visa holder's partner can work or not.

You would have cost involved with the whole sponsorship - unless the Employer sponsoring you is generous enough to pay for that...remember for an AMerican EMployer to SPonsor you they have to prove thy can NOT find an AMerican to do that job...until they can do that thre is no sponsorship. Even the hospital who Sponsored me had to prove they couldnt find an American Nurse to fill that job (even with the 11,000 shortage)

Old 05-11-2007, 04:25 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,973 times
Hey LingLing
I have a career in science and did you tell madmumof2 that the reason lots of foreigners work in these training positions is because Americans with PhD's don't care to work for $24,000 a year. I know how much foreign post docs make and it isn't a lot. Welders are in good demand and there are other careers that earn more without having to go to school until your 30 to make less than 30K, and it is important to realize that wages in Florida and really many states have not kept up with the high cost of living. Foreigners coming here had better have a pocket full of cash.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 PM

56 posts, read 170,537 times
Jsnfla

I have been to Florida a few times, at different times for the year, for a minimum of 5 weeks each time. It is hot, but I can handle it. I'm aware of hurricane risks and from what I've seen the people are lovely.

Traffic where I am is awful too so I'm used to that, and we're on a very low wage, so I doubt we'll notice much difference, especially with outgoings being so much cheaper.

Southernbelle

So you think it's probably best, and less hassle, to find work for my partner as a welder?

I found this on the site that was recommended.

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_h1b_occupations.htm

I've looked into IT and accounting before. And welding is engineering so would my partner be able to get a H-1B visa?

Old 05-11-2007, 04:44 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
I think its funny that people are assuming that the person who started this thread hasn't been here much...
I live near Orlando and its really like New New England at times.
The English love the sun and the heat...when my daughter and I are at the parks we enjoy talking to people from all over but it seems there are alot of English people there all the time.
Its cheaper to fly from England to Orlando then it is for us to originate here in the US and fly to the UK...

We have English and Irish pubs, our grocerty stores often have a section of products from England and down in Kissimmee at Old Town there was a British grocery store.

I'm just curious from an immigration point of view how are you going to get a work permit...for some reason the US lets in the dregs of society from everywhere else in but they make it pretty difficult for the British to come here.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,500,227 times
Your finance is an engineer?

Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 PM

I don't know Lisa. I'm trying to find out some info about that. Kissimmee is lovely! I'd love to live there, but I've heard it's brilliant for tourism but not for living?

Skb. He's a welder/fabricator, which is under engineering.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,500,227 times
"He's a welder/fabricator, which is under engineering."

Anyone can be a welder but you need to go to school to obtain an engineering degree to fall under that category..

Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Well here you're an engineer if you're a welder lol. So he can't be transfered from his company to one in Florida?

Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

I'm just curious from an immigration point of view how are you going to get a work permit...for some reason the US lets in the dregs of society from everywhere else in but they make it pretty difficult for the British to come here.

YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT!!!! They do make it extremely difficult for the Brits to come to the USA....I know a lot of people who are trying to get over here or have finally got here and it is almost like having your teeth pulled it is that hard to get here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida