Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 AM

56 posts, read 170,537 times

Advertisements

Thanks`again Cougar. I'll be ringing them over the next week, see if there is one a bit nearer.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,868 times
Cool How safe is Orlando

My family and I are also looking to relocate to FLA within the next three years, we own a business here in the UK, we are waiting until our kids have left school though, i think the UK education system is better.

we've been visiting orlando for the last 10 yrs, 3-4 times a year and have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a house for use over the next few years until were in a position to buy our way in. I really love the Orlando area, but the crime rates in Orlando worry me a little. Las time we were over there, I stopped to look at a missing persons board and was horrified at the amount of children that had gone missing from the area within a short space of time, it was almost on a daily basis. when we move to the US, i don't know for sure if it will be to FLA, it's kinda put me off a little. I think there a huge hush, hush on the matter, as any bad publicity would hurt the tourist/disney industry.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

In my opinion, Orlando is still a great place, I love being there, it has everything on offer, but if your with kids, one motto covers all - stick like glue! Am I being too paranoid?

Old 05-13-2007, 10:15 AM

We have the same problems here. I never let my children stray too far from me. I guess I'm an over-protective mum, and naturally over cautious, so it wouldn't matter if I lived in the best or worst place for crime, I'd still be the same lol.

Little Madeleine is from where I am from, Leicester. It's horrible here. The crime rate is through the roof, and the schools are awful! I figure the crime rate will probably be better in Fl than here anyway, although I'll have to have a look.

It's the guns I'm worried about. I know it's probably nothing, but us brits aren't used to people having guns in their houses, and I have to say that scares me a little.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 AM

555 posts, read 2,212,973 times
madmumof2
Housing is more affordable in LAke County - about a 30 minute drive from Lake Mary.
You can get a nice house in a safe neighborhood for around 200K in Eustis - maybe not new but a resale. Schools are decent - typical American, lacking in some areas but some kids just don't put much effort into their studies. I know some very bright kids that graduated from Eustis High and are doing well in college. I really don't think home prices will continue to climb too much more here, not like the boom of 2005. Don't give up on the nursing idea. I don't think that the demand will fall due to the number of baby boomers getting older. Nursing schools are tough here. There are many LPN's because that is a 2yr degree at a vocational school. A 4 yr degree or master's degree might be a better option for you. Starting a business is hard even for Americans. People are able to start businesses by going into debt, getting a second mortgage on the house, or just being lucky enough to have money in the bank from an inheritance. Your persistance is admirable. Although my ancestors came to this country before the revolutionary war, I'm sure they came with the determination you have. I would not let negativity stand in the way.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:34 AM

I've just had a look at crime rates in lorida and found this

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/fsac/Cri...ndex/index.asp

It says crime rate has dropped by quite a lot and is continuing to do so. So the crime rate isn't really as bad as some people are making it out to be?

Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,968,226 times
crime? there is no crime in florida. its all white picket fences, big cheap houses, high paying jobs and pure utopia. what is crime?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 AM

Well, that wasn't helpful was it?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Southernbelle. What's LPN? lol

Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:17 AM

250 posts, read 1,470,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
Southernbelle. What's LPN? lol

Thanks again.
LPN is a Licensed Practical Nurse....

They cant do as much as an RN and dont get paid enough...it is the equivalent of the UK SEN. You will not get a job over here by being an LPN. (if you do your training in the UK as an RGN) There are some excellent LPN's here but this isnt the route for you as you wont get a Visa with this qualification, besides which they dont even offer the training over in the UK for the equivalent.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 AM

I think our options now are either to start a business, save up and buy a business, or train as a RGN.

They've all got risks though which I'll need to consider. Businesses can fail and the need for RGN's might not be there in 6 years when I'd be ready to move over.

The baby boom point reassures me a little, but I think if nursing is what I'm going to do, I need to know there will still be a demand for me in 6 years time.

Thanks again for everyone's help. You've all helped me so much already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida