Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
Not sure if you know what mardy means lol. Miserable, sad old gits, bitter etc. lol
I guess we get that everywhere!

I am thankful that I was born in America, and my heart breaks when someone wants to come here, and has so many hurdles. Especially, since we see so many people over here that are actually HOSTILE to us. It's nice to see people that actually like us.

If it makes you feel better, I am 45 and have never owned a home of my own. Sometimes things happen, no matter where you live.

Keep that in mind.

But you are most welcome here.

My blood is completely Anglo-Saxon.

I want to bring something else up. Britain has been our tried and true friend for a very long time. No matter what your politics, that has been a constant.

Last edited by hiknapster; 05-12-2007 at 07:19 PM..

Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,061,163 times
madmumof2,
make a list of questions, stop by the US embassy/consulate in London, then go from there. One step at a time and you will do just fine...a future Floridian.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:09 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,973 times
madmumof2
I agree that if you can deal with the medical field, you could get a job as a nurse. I know of several nurses and doctors from the Phillippines that came over here because of their skills. Florida especially needs nurses due to the demand. Also, if you were able to come over as a nurse, your employer would provide insurance for you and your family that you would pay for but would be cheaper than finding a health plan on your own. Also, keep in mind if you are not legally married, your partner would not be eligible for coverage under your health insurance obtained through your employer. I wish you luck with your journey.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:28 PM

10 posts, read 23,460 times
Post less chipper times for the chippies, Brits taking dippies

I've lived in Central Florida for nearly 20 years, in an area that boasted a high British population up until recently. All of my British friends still live in England because (a) they could not find someone to marry them legitimately to apply for a green card (your best hope); (b) they could not obtain a work visa because they were neither unskilled nor extraordinarily skilled; (c) virtually no employer I know will sponsor anyone from the U.K. at this time. Also, there is a virtual exodus going on right now from this area, as innumerable Brits and Canadians are fleeing what they deem double property taxation, reaping little to no benefit, and being treated terribly by immigration officials, many deported solely due to Customs officials' attitudes. The Brits' solution: try Prague and Krakow: far less expensive, far more beautiful, just as warm, and hospitable treatment. I'm a former New Yorker, and honestly, I hate this place. And to top it off, most of the Indian restaurants (all mom and pop establishments) are closing due to ever-decreasing clientele. Sorry, mum, we'd love to 'ave you.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:11 PM

422 posts, read 759,461 times
Jobs like welding don't pay that well in the U.S., compared to the relative standard of living you would be able to afford in the U.K. It's a bit better in the Northeastern part of the country where unions are strong, but in Florida the trade unions are weak (low labor costs are one reason for the state's booming growth), and these kinds of blue collar trade professions pay a lot less. The prevailing wage may even be less than minimum wage if it's mostly done by illegals from Mexico/Carribean etc.

I lived in England for 6 years when I was younger, and - I'm not saying it's paradise - but sometimes I wish my family would have stayed over there. I know how it is. When you live in the UK, certain aspects of American life look very glamorous, like the big houses, the big cars, the movie stars Hollywood, the tall buildings of NY, the hot weather of Florida, etc. Once you move here, the novelty of these things can wear off.

Many aspects of life in America can be quite superficial. A lot of people here have few interests beyond watching American football at their local high school on Friday night, watching the college game on Saturday, watching pro-football on Sunday, and again watching football on Monday night. People enjoy more consumption in the U.S., but they also work a lot more hours than their counterparts in Europe.

Also, why Florida? The real estate costs in the state are skyrocketing. Some parts of the state are so predominantly Hispanic, it's difficult for an English speaker to fit in.

These are some factors to consider.

Last edited by Paddington; 05-12-2007 at 11:55 PM..

Old 05-13-2007, 01:29 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,968,226 times
all i can say is good luck....these days, absolutely no way u get here legally unless u r david beckham and i'm not even sure what his status is

Old 05-13-2007, 04:24 AM

56 posts, read 170,537 times
Thanks for your replies. I'll try to remember everything and answer them lol.

Cougar. Is there any way to do that online or via phone? It's not that easy for us to get to London, especially with two young children, and the fact that we're not going to tell anyone our plans until we have a good chance of it happening (so no babysitter).

Southernbelle. We are planning on getting married, so that won't be a problem. I'm a bit concerned with the nursing shortage. There may not be one in 6 years time, so I'd have to start all over again in a different profession if I go down the job route.

F....(sorry can't remember lol). So it'd be impossible to get sponsorship? I was thinking about starting a business too. I assume that wouldn't take as long, but will be harder work. Can you give me any info on that?

Paddington. Firstly, I don't really like sports. lol Second, we've given up on the welding idea, as thats obviously a no go. I will either train as a nurse, or another professional job that could get us in, or start our own business.

We chose Florida, because it's familiar to us, we've been a number of times, and we just love it. Everything is cheaper, even houses. Our small 3 bed semi (duplex) with a tiny garden and no amenities, cost us £135k (around $270k!). House prices here are ridiculous. So bad, there's now no chance whatsoever of a first time buyer ever getting on the property ladder unless they're filthy rich. We were extremely lucky.

The crime rate here is about the same as it is there, as well as the traffic so they're not really negatives to me.

Thank again for your replies.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:01 AM

541 posts, read 1,996,229 times
Quote:
We chose Florida, because it's familiar to us, we've been a number of times, and we just love it. Everything is cheaper, even houses. Our small 3 bed semi (duplex) with a tiny garden and no amenities, cost us £135k (around $270k!). House prices here are ridiculous. So bad, there's now no chance whatsoever of a first time buyer ever getting on the property ladder unless they're filthy rich. We were extremely lucky.
You will pay a lot more than that for a 3 bedroom here if you want to be in a safe area.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:51 AM

56 posts, read 170,537 times
I've seen some lovely villas for about $100k (£50k)in Orlando, $170k (£85k) in lake Mary and a few other places I can't remember the name of lol. We pay a £600 ($1200) mortgage for this very small house. I don't think anyone can argue you get more house for your money in Florida than here.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,061,163 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I'll try to remember everything and answer them lol.

Cougar. Is there any way to do that online or via phone? It's not that easy for us to get to London, especially with two young children, and the fact that we're not going to tell anyone our plans until we have a good chance of it happening (so no babysitter).

clarifications: You will have to talk to someone in the VISA section of the US consulate. Your chances to get better info and more tips will definitely increase by going in person. You might want to check and make an appointement by phone or via the internet.
I do not live in the UK, so I can not tell you where is the nearest US consulate, but I assume that it is listed in the phone book, or even by calling the main one in London they will give you the contact information of the nearest one to you.
Regarding Florida, you made a good choice. Nowdays it's not easy anywhere, this Globale economy and outsourcing jobs has tricked down on a lot of pople. But it's definitely up to you, if you like it you will make the best of it.
I have traveled in the US and overseas, and one thing I will tell you: it's up to you how to treat people and how people will treat you.
P.S: I was able to make friends everywhere I went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida