Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
Thanks`again Cougar. I'll be ringing them over the next week, see if there is one a bit nearer.
Mum, I've got to tell you that I love reading your posts. I have an internet friend who is British and just adore some of her phrases. I don't think that someone like you will have any problems in the U.S. once you can get everything straightened out to live here. Oh and don't give up all your British things. Most of us think your phrases and your accents are cute.

And I know you celebrate this a different day, but today is Mother's Day in the U.S. and I want to wish you and all the Moms here~Happy Mother's Day!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM

56 posts, read 170,439 times
That's a lovely post Jammie! Thank you. I have to say the American accent (all for them) is much better than my old common one! lol

Was it the 'ringing' instead if 'calling' that showed me as a Brit? lol

Happy mothers day to you! Ours was back in March. Will have to get used to that one too. lol

Old 05-13-2007, 02:21 PM

Aha! What about running a pub/bar? If I bought a bar over there, would I be able to stay and work on a work visa?

I've had experience running a pub. Not much, but it's a start.

Where would I stand on that?

Also, if I ran/bought/started a business, does it have to be physical? As in have an office or garage etc? Or can it be a home based or internet based business?

If so, I think that's the route I will take.

Last edited by madmumof2; 05-13-2007 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Added text

Old 05-13-2007, 06:21 PM

422 posts, read 758,808 times
I don't think they give out HI-B visas to people who want to come here to open up bars.

Some of the people here are giving you horrible, horrible advice.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Oh? What is the good (and bad) advice I've been given? lol Just to be sure?

I think I'm most likely to train as a nurse, and try to come over once I'm qualified.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 72,002 times
Default re immigrating to the US

Hi!
Writing from near Boston, MA! Sorry, not FL. But have family/friends on both coasts there; sometimes think of becoming a snow-bird: haven't heard a bad thing yet! V. sadly now divorced from Brit husband, but until recenty had a lot of contacts on both side of ocean with varying degrees of prosperity and back-and-forth travel. Husband's sister lived and worked in UK for several years with her partner. Goal: for partner to finish RN training and both to live in US. Took a lot of persistence: partner did nursing school: v. hard, even without kids! Reality check--the schedule can be brutal on family life! BUT! Success! Alongside studies, did homework on coming here as RN. There is an agency in New Jersey that helps direct British/Irish nurses through US RN licensing/testing and visa process. Hard work, but paid off. Placement sometimes not initially geographical location you want, but can be close; sometimes based on RN need. One of the things that will happen if you are a "true" nurse is that you will refine your area of specialty, and that will in turn narrow your geographical focus. Sorry, do not know name of agency. Do quick internet search using key words and it may turn up.

Also have former (but still v. close: wonderful!) cousins-in-law who come here frequently: my home is their summer B&B. They have the best of both: secure base in UK; family and friends here; thus frequent visits to get their US "fix" annually. Consider that option. Reason: your kids will cement very quickly in whatever country they live, but DO IT EARLY!!! It is very hard on kids to leave "home" if they are in school, have chums, a place: a killer for my husband: the dislocation at age 9-1/2 may have been great for his parents, but it was hell for him. In most average US towns, school for ages 5-10 are just fine ("elementary school"). Ages 11-14 ("middle school") is a national disaster: the bottom falls out of everything except in the rare communities that put a huge effort into their schools--difficult even for US nationals to find! Ages 14-18 ("high school") can go either way--but by the you will have had a lot of time to suss out the system. By and large, though, I think British kids have a better foundation and multi-language experience. American universities can be terrific or just party schools. But our graduate schools are second to none: that's where we really shine. (Have worked in Community Colleges and MIT: love both!)

Have following thoughts re jobs/immigration:
1) Go to the INS website. Yes, easy to get lost in bureaucrat-ese, but the current info. is there.
2) Go to the US Burea of Labor Statistics website. See what jobs we need. It may give you some ideas. For example, FL is home of a huge geriatric population. Geriatric nursing is a huge sub-specialty. But so are geriatric physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, audiology. Decent pay, better hours. But a LOT of training!
3) Don't give up on welding. Think out of the box. A British guy in my area got a green card (!!!) because he is an automotive welder specializing in antique cars: there is an antique car musuem outside Boston, as well as a lot of antique car fanatics. Happened to have a perfect fit for a very small niche. A rare success story: got hired by a shop, got the card. Antique cars are a mini-world, but both sides of the ocean they get to know each other. Not Florida, OK. But once you have the green card, you can go anywhere. So what if you have a couple of (aaaggghhh) New England winters?
4) Via some of above posts, see if some of the Brits who have made the transfer would be willing to talk/write/email. Every experience is unique, but you may get good ideas, and the "real deal" from others who have made the trek.
5) Bring big jars of Marmite. We get minis for a small fortune.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM

250 posts, read 1,469,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown2 View Post
Hi!
5) Bring big jars of Marmite.

yuk disgusting stuff!!!!!!!! lol

Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueilp View Post
yuk disgusting stuff!!!!!!!! lol

I miss the "5 O'clock Tea"...

Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Bleurgh! Hate marmite! lol I've skimmed through the recent replies, but a bit busy at the mo. I'll be back to reply properly later. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 PM
lee

91 posts, read 385,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I can understand your excited tone as the thought of living in Florida is a nice one.
I hate to be the party pooper over here but unless you marry an American simply moving to the USA and getting the legal right to work is pretty tough.

You can apply for the green card lottery and see if you get lucky. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/yqsu25 (broken link)

There are a lot of illegal immigrants living and working in the USA. Normally these people are Mexicans or Cubans or Haitians working for next to nothing pay. If you get caught living and working illegally in the USA you can be baned for 10 years from entering the Country again.
It is very difficult to get an employer to sponsor you, normally this is done for a specialty field which you have indicated you have none.

Check out the lottery site, they are accepting applications.
Unfortunately brits are not elegible for entry into the visa lottery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida