Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:28 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
Thanks Lisa!
I'd gladly train as a nurse, that's not a problem at all. What kind of nurses are there shortages of? Or do they have a shortage of all kinds?

Ok, so say I have trained, and am now a qualified nurse. What would I have to do now? Apply for a job, then a visa, or the other way around? How long would the visa last? What if I changed jobs in the future?

I'm looking for permanent residency there. Also, would it be possible for all of us (partner and two children) to move over there with me going for a nursing job, and would by partner be able to work also? Again, not a problem if not, just making sure I've got everything right.

I have no money to invest or family members, so the job route is the only one I can see as a way in at the minute.

Thanks for the info and positive post.

You need to train as a general nurse and you need to make sure you have enough hours in pediatrics, maternity and a few others (go to www.allnurses.com for another forum to find out what exactly you need)

What will happen when you finally qialify (after 3 years) you will need to find a hospital over here that will sponsor you - then once that is in progress you will finally get the Green Card which is a permanent resident status.

Please make sure that if this is the direction you want to go in that nursing is for you......it isnt for the squemish but it can be a very rewarding profession)

Old 05-12-2007, 03:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am somewhat embarrassed by the reception you have received from some of the posters. Please know we are not all alike.

I may not have the most current nor accurate info on immigrating to the US. I do know this. You can come here if you plan on investing - that means opening up a company, demonstrating that you have, I believe, $500,000 and it may be more, to invest. But your very best bet is to do your research out on the web, make an appointment at the US Consultate (not the Embassy) in London and get the correct information you need. There are scores of sites that can also give you solid info.

Best of luck to you. Everyone in this country came from somewhere else - they may be 2nd, 3rd, or even 13th generation. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
I'm not embarrassed. These people have given wonderful advice.

The OP says she does not have any money for investment.

So you go to nursing school, but your partner, who is now your husband, is still a welder. He may have to go back to school to get that engineering degree.

No one said it is impossible. Very difficult but not impossible.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:39 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
From what I understand the areas they need people where I am is in Intensive Care, Pediatric Intensive Care and so forth...

I would check with a contract nursing company, ask them what is involved and if you can use that as a way to get into the US. Just because you are allowed in with a work visa, that does not mean one will automatically be extended to your spouse, that will take some work and time on your part...

I have a friend who is a respiratory therapist and teaches it also, she has citizen ship between the US and Russia due to her parents but is getting a citizen ship for South Africa as well, she is currently teaching there on a contract basis...

Here in the states you can get an RN in two years...thats no time at all considering the money you would be able to make right out of the gate...

I would contact an immigration attorney, I understand you can go to the Embassy in London and get a certain amount of information as well. I know there are places on line that have this kind of information but I don't know how reliable it is and how up to date...

I have been told that once I am done with my schooling that I can get a job with a hospital that will pay off my school loans as long as I agree to say with them for 2 years in an area where they want me...I have heard that the area they need people for depends on where you are in the US. I would love to work in the nursery or in the area where babies are born however I don't think those are the places of need in my area...I imagine geriatric care is a big need here as well.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:46 PM

56 posts, read 170,537 times
Thanks again!

I'll check out those two links now.

I'm interested in training in a lot of jobs (originally to start work once my children are both in school) and I've thought of nursing before too. Luckily I'm not squeamish lol.

Sorry for more questions, lol, but how easy/difficult is it to get sponsorship? And how long would it take?

I must stress, we're not in any rush, and are very aware it will certainly not be a quick thing. I just want to be able to plan as far ahead as I can. Knowing how much equity we'll have in our house, how much money we could save over the years etc. Basically spread everything out so we can be prepared.

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

I am a little worried now that we might not be very welcome. I can totally understand people saying they're fed up of immigrants coming over, as ewe have the biggest problem here. I just want a better life for my family.

Thanks again! You've ALL been a real help.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:54 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
Thanks again!

I'll check out those two links now.

I'm interested in training in a lot of jobs (originally to start work once my children are both in school) and I've thought of nursing before too. Luckily I'm not squeamish lol.

Sorry for more questions, lol, but how easy/difficult is it to get sponsorship? And how long would it take?

I must stress, we're not in any rush, and are very aware it will certainly not be a quick thing. I just want to be able to plan as far ahead as I can. Knowing how much equity we'll have in our house, how much money we could save over the years etc. Basically spread everything out so we can be prepared.

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

I am a little worried now that we might not be very welcome. I can totally understand people saying they're fed up of immigrants coming over, as ewe have the biggest problem here. I just want a better life for my family.

Thanks again! You've ALL been a real help.

Firstly, I have been here 18 months and I have been made VERY welcome by colleagues and patients alike - every one has been so very nice to us all.

Secondly despite the shortages of specific nurses you will need to train as a general nurse (RGN Registered General Nurse) in the UK. As the nursing training is lacking certain elements to get to the USA you will need to make up these hours (but go to the allnurses website and go to the international section there and they will tell you exactly what you need) It wasnt an issue for me as Itrained in 1986 before the training for nurses changed.

If and when you qualify and then find a sponosr your Husband (& children) will all come over here on Green Cards ON THE BACK OF YOURS...I.E. YOU WILL BE THE Main one being sponosred but becuase you are married etc your family come wiht you - so that will not be an issue.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
I love people from the UK (except of course my exhusband), I don't hear people saying they can't stand it when you guys come over...

I personally will welcome you with open arms...

Old 05-12-2007, 04:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
All the Brits I met in Orlando on vacation were wonderful! I stay in a hotel frequented by Brits and they are really nice. In fact, I met a guy at Universal Studios, and he said the only disappointment on holiday was that there were so many other Brits!

I met a few jerks in southwest Florida, but that is the exception. For some reason, that area attracts strange people from ALL over.

Americans can't stand immigrants that refuse to assimilate, feel that their country is much better, try to rub that in their face, and become surly around people that were born here.

I seriously doubt that you would do any of the above.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Aww thanks! lol

My partner would be willing to train in one of these areas too. Would he be able to train in the U.S if I come over to work as a RGN? If so, that would be perfect, me out at work, him doing the school run then training lol. If not he could always do night courses here.

How hard is it to get a sponsorship? Do you just ring/email/visit a hospital there and ask them to sponsor you? I'm aware they have to pay ($500 I think?) to sponsor you? Why would they be willing to do that for us?

Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Hipnakster. God no! I hate the U.K! lol

I love everything American, and every time I've been I've loved the people there. It's funny, they always say 'I love your accent' when theirs sounds lovely and I sound common. lol

I'm really looking forward to learning how to live like a real Floridian lol. I'll have to re-learn how to spell (labour-labor etc) and talk (path-sidewalk etc) and instead of seeing it as a chore, I'm really excited about it.

The only big thing I can think of that makes a difference, is that you have to pay for hospital treatment and we don't, but tbh that's not a good thing. Our NHS is ****e. Years long waiting lists, mardy doctors, dirty hospitals (MRSA bug if you've heard of it) so I will definitely be glad of the hospitals there, even if I do have to pay.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Not sure if you know what mardy means lol. Miserable, sad old gits, bitter etc. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida