Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:12 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times

Advertisements

its going to be near impossible for u to get a visa these days. immigration and foereigners living in the US is a huge topic and most are fed up with this country being invaded by outsiders. this country is FULL, we have major problems especially in florida. most people here DO NOT want any more foreigners moving here and competeing for our few jobs. we have enough trouble employing our own we do not need to employ foreigners and fulfill their pipe dreams of living in florida. anyhow it will be almost impossible to legally reside here unless u have some really special situation or unless this country really needs u for some reason. NO OCCUPANCY, those days are over.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:10 PM

56 posts, read 170,496 times
I do know what you mean. We're the worst, believe it or not, for immigrants in our country. And most of them are illegal immigrants, which the gvmt does nothing about.

An illegal immigrant stole a car, had no insurance, drove drunk and hit and killed a 12 year old boy. He got 2 weeks in prison, which had already been served, so he got compo as well!! And he's still here!!!!!

It's mad. Believe me, you're lucky to have the amount of immigrants you do. You'd hate it here, like I do, which is why I want to leave.

All that isn't really helpful anyway. If I don't move, that's not going to stop immigrants moving to Florida. So I might as well if I can eh?

Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Madmum, don't listen to people on this board, many of whom have little no no grasp on how the actual immigration process works.

There is no real concern or debate in the US about LEGAL immigration, which you are seeking to do. For advice on visas and immigration, you may want to visit the US consulate, and spend some time on forums and websites where other forums on immigration. Maybe even contact an immigration attorney in the US in the area you want to live.

We can help you out with all the other stuff about Florida, but if I were you, I wouldn't trust this forum for initial visa and immigration advice unless they are Brits that have already made the move!!

Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
My husband's former boss (educated at Cambridge), who started the company, came from England about 15 years ago. When he was going through immigration, the agent asked him to say something in English to him.

Highly INSULTED, the man said to him, "Sir, You are speaking MY native tongue and NEVER FORGET IT."

Cheerio! from the great-grandaughter of a Norwich native.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks Tri. I'm looking at the forum Sue recommended, and searching google for whatever I can find.

If anyone can give me any more sites, anything at all that could help (have looked at the others and they're great, thanks!) that would be great!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:33 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I was married to an Englishman, of course things might have changed since then but the easist way to get in is if you have a relative here....of course if your thinking of going to school for a degree, get a nursing degree, there are huge shortages here and they will let you...another way you can get in is if you have the money to start a business, ALOT OF MONEY...I met a young woman at Disney one time and she told me her, her husband and her children were able to move here because her Father was an American citizen...

Even with me marrying my English husband we had to go through all kinds of paperwork and they told us they would be tracking the marriage for a minimum of 5 years, with home visits and question sessions to make sure I knew my husband well...

No way from what I have read will they let someone in just because he is a welder...their logic will be that there are plenty of Americans to do that job...

It would be good if you could find a place that has alot of UK transplants here in Florida and ask them what they had to go through to get in...its must be posible because there are alot here...

Kississimee is a nice tourist spot but I wouldn't want to live there...I would take a nice long couple weeks to drive around Florida, look at whats for sale, look at the jobs market...I can't stress enough how much they are looking for nurses, as long as there are doctors offices near by and a hospital or two you won't lack for work.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks Lisa!
I'd gladly train as a nurse, that's not a problem at all. What kind of nurses are there shortages of? Or do they have a shortage of all kinds?

Ok, so say I have trained, and am now a qualified nurse. What would I have to do now? Apply for a job, then a visa, or the other way around? How long would the visa last? What if I changed jobs in the future?

I'm looking for permanent residency there. Also, would it be possible for all of us (partner and two children) to move over there with me going for a nursing job, and would by partner be able to work also? Again, not a problem if not, just making sure I've got everything right.

I have no money to invest or family members, so the job route is the only one I can see as a way in at the minute.

Thanks for the info and positive post.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:03 PM

376 posts, read 1,867,100 times
Default hello

I agree with the above poster. This would not be my first choice for posting on such an important topic for you. (visa, immigration) This site is filled with people who love to rant and whinge about anything. It must be nice to be able to sit home and just complain about things.

I would look at that other Florida website and connect with some brits that have made the move. Also, look at the website britishexpats.com. that will give you further info.

Wish you all the luck in whatever you pursue.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:11 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,092 times
As I said before, your husband would not be allowed to work in anyway without his OWN legal working status as in the proper work Visa or green card.

Here are the answers to all of your questions:

Q: What is an H-1B visa?
A: The H-1B is a nonimmigrant classification used by an alien who will be employed temporarily in a specialty occupation or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability.

Return to index . . .
Q: What is a specialty occupation?
A: A specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge, along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. For example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology and the arts are specialty occupations.

Return to index . . .
Q: How do you apply for an HB1 Visa?
A: H-1B status requires a sponsoring U.S. employer. The employer must file a labor condition application (“LCA”) with the Department of Labor attesting to several items, including payment of prevailing wages for the position, and the working conditions offered. The employer must then file an I-129 petition with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (previously INS) and, unless specifically exempt under the law, an additional $500 fee to sponsor the H-1B worker. Based on the Bureau petition approval, the alien may apply for the H-1B visa, admission or a change of nonimmigrant status.

Return to index . . .
Q: How long can an alien be in H-1B status?
A: Under current law, an alien can be in H-1B status for a maximum period of six years at a time. After that time an alien must remain outside the United States for one year before another H-1B petition can be approved. Certain aliens working on Defense Department projects may remain in H-1B status for 10 years.

Return to index . . .
Q: Who can an H-1B alien work for?
A: H-1B aliens may only work for the petitioning U.S. employer and only in the H-1B activities described in the petition. The petitioning U.S. employer may place the H-1B worker on the worksite of another employer if all applicable rules (such as Department of Labor rules) are followed. H-1B aliens may work for more than one U.S. employer, but must have an I-129 petition filed by each employer.

Return to index . . .
Q: What if the alien’s circumstances change?
A: As long as the alien continues to provide H-1B services for a U.S. employer, most changes will not mean that an alien is out of status. An alien may change employers without affecting status, but the new employer must file a new I-129 petition for the alien before he or she begins working for the new employer. The merger or sale of an H-1B employer’s business will not affect the alien’s status in many instances. However, if the change means that the alien is working in a capacity other than the specialty occupation for which they petitioned, it’s a status violation.

Return to index . . .
Q: Must an H-1B alien be working at all times?
A: As long as the employer/employee relationship exists, an H-1B alien is still in status. An H-1B alien may work in full or part-time employment and remain in status. An H-1B alien may also be on vacation, sick/maternity/paternity leave, on strike, or otherwise inactive without affecting his or her status.

Return to index . . .
Q: Can an H-1B alien travel outside the U.S.?
A: An H-1B visa allows an alien holding that status to reenter the U.S. during the validity period of the visa and approved petition.

Return to index . . .
Q: Can an H-1B alien intend to immigrate permanently to the U.S.?
A: An H-1B alien can be the beneficiary of an immigrant visa petition, apply for adjustment of status, or take other steps toward Lawful Permanent Resident status without affecting H-1B status. This is known as "dual intent" and has been recognized in immigration law since passage of the Immigration Act of 1990. During the time that the application for LPR status is pending, an alien may travel on his or her H-1B visa rather than obtaining advance parole or request other advance permission from the INS to return to the U.S.

Return to index . . .
Q: Who is eligible to use the H-1B "portability" provisions?
A: The portability provisions allow a nonimmigrant alien previously issued an H-1B visa or otherwise accorded H-1B status to begin working for a new H-1B employer as soon as the new employer files an H-1B petition for the alien. Previously, aliens in this situation had to await INS approval before commencing the new H-1B employment. These provisions apply to H-1B petitions filed "before, on, or after" the date of enactment (October 18, 2000), so all aliens who meet this definition can begin using the portability provisions.

Return to index . . .
Q: If my company is acquired by another company, do I have to file for an amended H-1B?
A: No. An amended H-1B petition is no longer required when the petitioning employer undergoes a corporate restructuring, including but not limited to a merger, acquisition or consolidation, where the new corporate entity succeeds to the interest and obligations of the original petitioning employer and where the terms and conditions of employment remain the same but for the identity of the petitioner.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:18 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
I am somewhat embarrassed by the reception you have received from some of the posters. Please know we are not all alike.

I may not have the most current nor accurate info on immigrating to the US. I do know this. You can come here if you plan on investing - that means opening up a company, demonstrating that you have, I believe, $500,000 and it may be more, to invest. But your very best bet is to do your research out on the web, make an appointment at the US Consultate (not the Embassy) in London and get the correct information you need. There are scores of sites that can also give you solid info.

Best of luck to you. Everyone in this country came from somewhere else - they may be 2nd, 3rd, or even 13th generation. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida