Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

Right now it's 68° and cloudy so I am confused about dinner as usual this time of day. I will be out on the town shortly so no telling what will be found.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It was freezing here yesterday.....barely making it out of single numbers during the afternoon.....but this morning it is raining and feels like spring...I hope you are getting some relief from the artic chill.
Glad to hear it warmed a bit there! Snowed here all last night then WHAM warmed up to 36 and it's melted or melting making a mess of the driveway.
We're supposed to go sub-arctic starting Friday so I guess winter is finally here for us brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thank goodness I just got an early christmas present, a new down filled North Face jacket to ward off the cold while I bbq and run the smoker in the snow. One must be prepared when cooking right?
BTW, if y'all are interested in a heck of a deal on cold weather gear for 1/2 price at least (if not more) I found Backcountry.com sells last years models and overstocks of all major manufacturers like north face,burton etc cheap cheap cheap!

Back to food, I made the last(?) cookies for our gift baskets last night, stained glass cookies. Ended up making ham and cheese panini sandwiches for dinner.
Tonight will finally be bbq burgers, snow and wind or not!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Jimj I really appreciate your taking the time to fill me in on your experience on SB.....I havent given up yet....and since I have 2 small tubs....maybe I will get used to it.....last night however for the shrimp on linguini, I used 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil.

I am getting used to eating a slice of whole wheat bread without any spread...and know that I can use olive oil as a nice dip for crusty bread.

I will continue to avoid margerine.....I know that is a killer.....I remember back in the days of yore when oleo margerine first came on the market it was as white as lard or crisco....and you had to mix the color in at home....that was many kids first chore.

Speaking of Crisco.....is it really transfat free now-a-days?
I remember that as well, boy the things we used to eat... As for Crisco, I believe it is, I think they had to bow to consumer pressure.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:07 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
We ended up having open-faced bagel sandwiches last night, spread with mustard, and then put back in the toaster oven to melt colby jack cheese on top. Also had diced salami on it. It was kinda like a pizza.

I came home to the crock pot pork loin and it just didn't look or smell that appealing. It's easier to shred cold meat anyway. We'll have pork tacos tonight.

I don't know what it is, but DH and I both just hate the smell of crock potted pork. It ruins our appetite for any of it. I think my crock pot runs way too hot, maybe that's part of the problem.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Good morning everyone. Last night was chicken, sweet potato, spinach, green beans and STILL a little leftover cranberry sauce. I do make a lot ... lol.

Tonight will probably be leftover chicken. We made enough for four or five meals last night. We made them pretty bland so we could create something different with them each night. I think tonight we'll top them with salsa and make some spanish rice.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
You know that when adding so much fat, you have to save it somewhere else
I love that dish but make it only once in a while altho' it's done pretty fast
Just add a diet coke and you're ready to go. I know what you mean though. You save where you can.

Amber- good for you on your 2 lbs. You really don't look like you need to lose anything.

Lacey- Woo Hoo. You must feel great about going back for a smaller size.

Cyn- You are so right. We are not teenagers anymore. We also eat more types of food lol.

Well tonight is the birthday dinner for my step(?) grandson. He turned 11 on Monday. I just took the chocolate cake out of the oven and it smells delicious. Nothing diet about it.

We will be having chicken Parmesan, meatballs and sauce, and sausage and sauce. I don't know what everyone eats anymore. Also a big salad and warm Italian bread and also garlic bread.

I made the Oreo balls, fudge, peanut butter balls, and chocolate chip cookies yesterday. And I have a toothache today from all the testing.

After today- no more junk. I'm sending everything home with the kids.

Have a good day all.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:30 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
I want to eat your grandson's bday dinner younglisa!!

And Debsi, what kind of salsa did you use? I am thinking about doing that in the crockpot, but maybe using green chile instead.........

Tonight I am not sure what we'll have for dinner. Still need to get to the grocery store to stock up, but that might wait until the weekend. I will probably pop in on the way home and pick up some ground beef and we'll either have spaghetti with meat sauce or tacos.........

Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
A shake for dinner and a date with the treadmill A loss of 2lbs here No biggie but is a little something I made Hub angel hair pasta tosed in OO, tomatoe, onion, garlic, and fresh basil. He was happy.
Congrats on the 2 pound loss. I know how hard it is. Good job!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I want to eat your grandson's bday dinner younglisa!!

And Debsi, what kind of salsa did you use? I am thinking about doing that in the crockpot, but maybe using green chile instead.........

Tonight I am not sure what we'll have for dinner. Still need to get to the grocery store to stock up, but that might wait until the weekend. I will probably pop in on the way home and pick up some ground beef and we'll either have spaghetti with meat sauce or tacos.........
I just used some Pace Picante that I had in the fridge. Figured it wasn't worth wasting the good homemade stuff on. That'll top the tacos.

I will report back tomorrow if this was a good way of cooking the meat.

Tonight I really need to make spiced nuts so I can get my Christmas gifts shipped out. Does anybody do these? I've seen two methods - tossing them with oil in a pyrex 13 x 9 or doing them on a cookie sheet. Any advice?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:50 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I remember that as well, boy the things we used to eat... As for Crisco, I believe it is, I think they had to bow to consumer pressure.

Anyone see that commercial about some healthy spread. Forget the name of it but they show the family "the Buttertons". With a whole stick of butter on each potato.
I remember those days of slathering and puddles. Now a days, I think twice. Most times anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink