Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,376 times

Advertisements

I'm defrosting chicken legs to roast tonight. I don't know what I'm making with them yet.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
We're going to be right near our favorite deli this evening, so I'm looking forward to sharing a hot pastrami on rye and a round potato knish, with some cole slaw and half sour pickles.
That sounds good. I miss Deli's. Thanks for the applesauce idea. I never used it for meatballs but I have used in place of oil in baking.

Elston- Way to go.

I made a big pot of meatballs and sauce last night. Today I am making the sausage and sauce. This morning I made the Oreo Ball recipe and also Peanut Butter balls. I still have to make chocolate fudge and chocolate chip cookies. Getting ready for tomorrow's birthday/holiday dinner with the kids and grandkids. I also picked up one of those pre-made gingerbread house kits to do with the young ones tomorrow. Trying to get everything prepared in advance so I can enjoy their company.

Tonight we are having the roast that I was supposed to make yesterday.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Congrats Elston, losing weight is not easy no matter how you do it! Tonight will be just plain 'ole hamburgers with a little Watkins beef rub mixed in (it has coffee as one ingredient which adds a real neat flavor).
For y'all who are getting all that snow, would you push some back this way please? Our ski resorts can't open due to lack of snow and it's been hovering in the 30's here for a couple of weeks now so all we're getting is drizzle and a little groppel.
Finished up the gingerbread cookies yesterday and now gotta make more cookies today, Mexican Wedding cookies and Stained Glass cookies are on the menu. Oh, the Bourbon balls I made last week are fermenting quite nicely, by the time I pack 'em and hand 'em out they'll definately be a tummy warmer!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
I'm thinking hot steak baguette sandwiches with baby spinach.

And a hot fruit salad for dessert

Old 12-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
CONGRATS ELSTON That is so great! Hubby is in the same boat and really enjoyed thanksgiving this year more than any other he has ever celebrated because of the "sacrifice". You really don't realize what you are missing until you don't have it anymore..... Really happy for you.

Diva is home sick today..... low grade fever, sniffles, tired.... usual cold like symptoms.... My little chatterbox is off at her bowling class to celebrate her last class and get her trophy! LOL they call her GIGGLES in her class and that will be what they put on the Trophy.... I think that perfectly stated. My father in law takes her each week.... it is their special thing they do and I just found out she has been playing him like a card to take her out to breakfast each Tuesday morning (after she has eaten her breakfast at home!!!)....

Hubby is working late tonight...some big head honcho's are in town and he has to burn the midnight oil. So, Sicko and the Mooch might just get Mac and Cheese for dinner. We will see..... Nothing is defrosted and I have not planned for the evening as of yet. Don't really want to go out either (IT IS COLD!!!!!)......
Sicko and the Mooch...wasn't that a movie with Burt Reynolds???

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I would guess you could come up with a cocoamocha mix by combining a hot chocolate mix....with instant coffee.....and perhaps some of the cremora powder....and maybe a little sugar.....Or buy the international coffee brand that probably has it pre mixed but at a price!

Cyn....you supper sounds wonderful.....it is a snowy day here and the thought of mashed potatoes and gravy and pork and brussel sprouts sounds like heaven.....(I was commenting to my DP last evening that its been two months since I have had mashed potato.. (no thnk you)....but.... I am really missing them and am about to treat myself. I have lost 21 pounds to show for the sacrifice.
I'm so proud of you. My turn soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I'm thinking hot steak baguette sandwiches with baby spinach.

And a hot fruit salad for dessert
Southdown, what's a hot fruit salad??

Tonight, I think it's going to be roasted chicken, probably w/spaghetti squash and some other stuff. Maybe a sweet potato.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Recipe?

No doubt! I occasionally venture into "no-man's land" myself.....sometimes something just catches my eye that I simply cannot ignore and I feel that my input MUST be needed to restore order! HA! I normally get my bacon fried, unless it's something that I am passionate about enough to continue on with all the nonsense and bs. Sometimes I eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats me (but if he does, he has a good ole case of heartburn at least!).
I am with you on that. I made the mistake of responding in the education forum on a thread about what to give teachers for Christmas. I mentioned that I sent in food. Started a whole war over how inappropriate it is to give food gifts to teachers as they could be allergic or get fat or horrors not want food. Silly, can ya tell I am still worked up? LOL

Morning everyone, feeling better today, headache to end all headaches went away after a good 10 hour sleep last night. No chills today. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't come back. Yuck, I hate being sick.

Tonight for dinner, something with chicken. I have a 3 pound package I have to thaw, so not quite sure what I am going to make. Maybe chicken picatta again and a couple of pot pies to throw in the freezer. Not sure yet.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Morning foodies! Wet dreary day here but it is 40° so I guess I might be able to get our old pickup that my DS got stuck in the yard out.

Huckleberry feel better soon.

Debsi I use my crock pot at least once a week and I am a SAHM!

elston have you tried to make mashed potatoes with just the potato water instead of milk and a butter substitute? Why is it so much faster putting weight on than taking it off. Great job taking it off!

skbs how crafty of a little stinker you have getting grandpa to take her for breakfast that she has already eaten. Hope your Diva doesn't give you much drama as a sick patient.

I have to take my youngest for an allergy appt after school so it looks like we will grab something on the way home. Have a few other errands to run while in town so that is the plan for now. I wish we had good places around here to eat out be just have the run of the mill fast food joints mostly. None of them are great

Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Southdown, what's a hot fruit salad??
It can be pretty much any fruit you like - canned, fresh or frozen - and you can just warm the fruit plain, or make a hot sauce (or sabayon) to pour over the cold fruit, or toss the fruit in the hot sauce. I like them all!

Tonight will be canned pineapple chunks, fresh orange and apple chunks, and some red grapes. An ounce each of butter and brown sugar are melted in a big skillet until bubbling, then add the fruits and toss for a couple of minutes - just to get warm, not cooked. Add cinnamon or any spices to the butter/sugar sauce if you like them.

I also like hot fruit with honey and greek yogurt. Ice cream and cookies also make a good topping

here's some more recipes...

Hot exotic fruit salad - Sainsbury's - Try something new today

Hot fruit salad

Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
Mmmm...sounds good.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Congrats Elston!

skbs - hope the diva gets better soon!

All of you under the weather, feel better soon!

Tonight I have no idea what is for dinner! I will keep reading your posts and see what hits me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.