Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Sicko and the Mooch...wasn't that a movie with Burt Reynolds???

it sounds like a movie title doesn't it?

Well, The Mooch was working it on the way out to the car what she was going to get Grandpa to get her for lunch! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
skbs - hope the diva gets better soon!
!
Thanks Kats

Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
Huh. Just scarfed my lunch down at 9.20 am (turkey and swiss wrap with tomato, mustard, and light mayo). Pretty hungry I guess.

Still need to go to the store, but that will be put off until at least tomorrow, maybe even Thursday. I've been kind of "afraid" to cook anyway because we have a new electric oven with a ceramic cooktop and I'm not sure if we have the right pots and pans to use on it.

Anyway, tonight will be pasta of some sort with jarred sauce........because that is all we have!!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Elston, you could try non-fat evaporated milk for your mashed potatoes. As odd as it may sound to some I have always used evaporated milk in my mashed potatoes. Something I learned as a child because we lived so far from a grocery store up in the hills my mother learned how to improvise. Everyone who eats my mashed potatoes loves them...they are so rich and good. Lacey mentioned how she used non-fat evaporated milk in a recipe and could not tell the difference. It's an idea!!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Yes Cyn I used it in creamed onions and pumpkin pie. There is no difference and so creamy.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Elston, you could try non-fat evaporated milk for your mashed potatoes. As odd as it may sound to some I have always used evaporated milk in my mashed potatoes. Something I learned as a child because we lived so far from a grocery store up in the hills my mother learned how to improvise. Everyone who eats my mashed potatoes loves them...they are so rich and good. Lacey mentioned how she used non-fat evaporated milk in a recipe and could not tell the difference. It's an idea!!
My father used evaporated milk for mashed potatoes, his coffee creamer and in "corn chowdahs"....it really gives things a richness....I havent thought of using the low fat or non fat canned milk.....I assumed it would be watery....I will give it a try. thanks for the tip......now about the puddle of butter I like with my mashed potatoes.....

Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My father used evaporated milk for mashed potatoes, his coffee creamer and in "corn chowdahs"....it really gives things a richness....I havent thought of using the low fat or non fat canned milk.....I assumed it would be watery....I will give it a try. thanks for the tip......now about the puddle of butter I like with my mashed potatoes.....
Try "Butter Buds" or use Smart Balance.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Default Smart balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Try "Butter Buds" or use Smart Balance.
I will have to get used to the smart balance....I bought some....but have not been really able to adapt to the no butter....we used a lot of real butter.....the smart balance doesnt seem to melt when spread on toast does it melt? I have been getting used to eating anything like bread without any spread or with non fat cottage cheese.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times
Good Afternoon.........

The beef barley vegetable soup is a hit around here even with the little kids and it has spinach in it.

Tonight I am doing the four hour chicken because it is easy and I am so busy this week. It is actually the first week since July that I am skipping WW. Just no time.

ENjoy your day!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Although it has no trans fats, Smart Balance has the same amount of calories, I believe, as butter. Dr Oz, the heart surgeon, on Oprah said that "at least the body recognizes butter" as real food, unlike the fake, chemical laden, margerines. I still use a little butter when it's important, instead of mindlessly smearing other yellow stuff.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,297,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I will have to get used to the smart balance....I bought some....but have not been really able to adapt to the no butter....we used a lot of real butter.....the smart balance doesnt seem to melt when spread on toast does it melt? I have been getting used to eating anything like bread without any spread or with non fat cottage cheese.
We love love love Molly McButter to sprinkle on veggies or on anything warm and moist. I can't believe it's not butter is really good too - for the spreadable breads etc.

Also, I make my mashed potatoes with mayo and cream cheese only. You could substitute the fat free cream cheese with no difference in taste!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink