Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times

Advertisements

Love beets..........but I like them warm not hot or cold. Weird?????????????

Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
you sound like the gypsy woman.....do you sell home made jewelry....can you sell me a love potion

Love potions are still in the testing stage, very hit or miss

I could sell you a house though

Old 12-03-2008, 04:37 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
I like beets juiced, fab colour and delicious, cleans the blood and lowers blood pressure, so they say

It goes well juiced with cucumber, celery, lemon and fresh basil, or sweetened up with apple and pineapple.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
Thank you all who have rep'd me this last week, that was very nice of you.

Ziti had to fill in for Rigatoni tonight which was MIA, but with my sauce in the freezer it made dinner very easy, and boy am I happy the condenser in my kitchen fridge went today, so tomorrow buying a new fridge.

Have a wonderful night everyone.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Coming late to this party today boy were ya all chatty!

Lacey once all the tests are done then you will know how and what you are dealing with it will seem like a load off. Prayers for you both!

cyn Isn't it nice that our kids and their friends just think we are "cool" parents when really we are but it is a means to keep track of them as well? I put the Vicks or Raleigh salve on my feet and chest I still cough but not as bad. When I say bad I mean it only feels like half my lung is coming up and only half my ribs hurt.

HighlandsGal I am so sorry you couldn't stay home with your ickies they seem even worse when we aren't home. I am blessed to be able to stay home when I am sick I don't want to be around n-o-b-o-d-y to possibly spread cooties to.

bjh I am saving your Mylanta tip! Even put it on my shopping list to have on hand thank you. Have to spread the love before I rep ya again but thanks again! I had a prescription cough syrup that worked well for me after years of trying different stuff. Now I get all itchy when I take it so I found out it had stuff like in Loratabs and I am allergic to those. That cough syrup was wonderful though. I do swallow some Vicks that seems to help coat the throat some too and put a Hall's cough drop in my mouth when I lay down.

amber the recipe you posted is what we call Hello Dolly Cake which we cut into bars. Weird how I didn't know what Mayhem was then you posted your recipe that has a lot of different names huh?

crazyworld congrats~~ yes a loss is a loss!

NMS don't you be swinging on anybody with your shoulder! Just give them one of these

skbs have fun with your hotness in your new dress! Mark your calendar to remind your youngins of this great feat of swallowing down their chow!

elston I don't know how you cook different yummy dishes for each of you. You are stronger than me for sure!

Tonight I made a turkey casserole with elbow pasta, velveeta, broccoli, cream of mush soup, celery, mushrooms and spices. It was a hit nobody even complained I used turkey either.

This thread has me spooked tonight friends!!!!! I went to the meat market to get cubed steaks to make chicken fried steaks tomorrow then come on here to read of the conversations about it today!!! Now even scarier is I told the kids I would fix beets with it too! We just like ours heated up with a little salt and butter on them BTW. Since they are already canned they are pretty much cooked just needs heated up. For lunch tomorrow will probably be the last of the turkey salad the rest is in the freezer.

Birds of a feather flock together!!!!! Whew I need to take a break after catching up with ya all tonight!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Evening all, well beets weren't a big hit with the kids, but I enjoyed them immensely. Someone, I believe it was Kelsie suggested cooking them in chicken broth and it turned out pretty darn good.

The "salisbury" steaks on the other hand were just alright. It almost tasted like meatloaf smashed flat into patties. Not what I remember or was expecting. The gravy I made on the other hand turned out pretty darn good, especially on my mashed potatos.

Hope everyone has a great evening and thanks for all the advice on the ins and outs of beets, turnips and supposed salisbury steaks.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Noma, there's a place down the street that makes wonderful beef or chicken shawarma wrap sandwiches. They put pickled beets inside, and I eat everything.

I do not think I would like them plain though.
Are you sure they are beets? Usually w/whawarma, you get pickled turnips, which they color pink.......

I love pickled beets. My dad does pickled beets with sugar and vinegar. They are sweet and soooo delicious. I love them!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:31 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,368 times
Sorry, w/shawarma, not whawarma!!! lol!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Evening, all - my goodness, lots to catch up with today! You've all been busy, as have I, though you'll have to take my word for that, as it certainly wasn't evident here.

Our snow event turned out to be more at the 1" end of the projected range than at the 6" end, for which I am grateful. It's pretty stuff and I like looking at it, but I am not fond of driving in it. I did, however, finally find the tub o' boots, so my feet will be warm and dry this winter!

MTH, I'm probably too late with these comments about beets and turnips, but if you've still got some left, try them as an accompaniment to a roast sometime. Beets work well with both beef and pork; we like turnips best with pork (the cabbage-y flavor seems to complement pork, somehow) but they'd likely be good with beef as well. Peel your root vegetables - beets, carrots, turnips, potatoes, celeriac, parsnips, onions, etc. - and put them in the bottom of one of those big black spatter-ware roaster pans. Lay a nice hunk of meat over that: pot roast, pork shoulder, something big and thick. Sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire. If you want extra juice, dump a cup or two of wine in the bottom of the pan. Cover and roast in a slow oven, no more than 325, for a couple-three hours, and you'll have a meal fit for a king. That's what we had for supper last night, in fact; it's a favorite winter meal.

Tonight, though, was a pasta casserole with the youngsters: daughter, sig-other and sig-other's daughter. Loads of fun; they are really great kids, and I don't think we stopped laughing once all evening.

We made those oreo balls, the ones that were in the recipes thread, after supper, and they were a huge hit; the youngster and the spouse both really enjoyed getting to roll the "mud" into balls to drop into the white chocolate, while I rolled the balls through the white chocolate and put them on the pan to set, and the daughter and sig-other dipped pretzels in the white chocolate between oreo balls. The finished product was unanimously adjudged a major success, and of course we sent the kids home with most of them; at their ages, they can run off the calories a lot quicker than we can, after all. That recipe is a keeper!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,976 times
Hi all! I am always late on CD due to work and time zones I hit a fork with the Mayhem bars. Well, what I mean is I found this recipe in the toll house treasure book I found at th thrift store. In it they are called Magic cookie bars, but it sounded like what the mayhem bar consisted of. So it may not be exact just similar
Tonight I had a shake for dinner. I ran my toosh off at work today. My feet hurt so I think the treadmill can wait till the A.M. I made my hub a meatball parm sand. Drool..... I didn't even cheat with a bite. He was satisfied.
Lacey I hope your hub is feeling better.
Skbs good job on dinner.
All this beet talk and different ways to make it was very interesting. I like beets. No one else in my house does. Good more for me. Hub thinks I am weird. He says that they taste like dirt ha ha ha ha. I told him I must like earthy flavors

Oh just a note... If I have had typos lately it is because someone left a icey pop on the desk and it's sticky juice found my key board...... Owell I'll just have to get another. Xmas is comming right?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink