Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,675 times

Advertisements

Since I felt like crap yesterday, I didn't cook dinner so we'll try the pork chops again tonight.

It looks like we had about 7 in fall last night with another 2 inches predicted for today. Right now it's a "balmy" 3 degrees outside. I'm glad I don't have to go back out into this until tomorrow. I just got back from my doctor's appointment and can now take my cold medicine and fall asleep on the couch with my fleece Slanket and sleep the day and this cold away.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Or you can use butter--in moderation elston. I am with you on the not being able to adjust to anything but the real butter. Butter is butter. But, I have found I can use quite a bit less in my mashed potatoes and don't really even notice it. Of course if you like to "puddle" it in the mashed potatoes you deserve that little puddle my friend. You have done so well and to deny yourself completely, I have heard, is as bad as trying "crash-diets". You set yourself for failure. You go ahead and have your little puddle of butter!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Or you can use butter--in moderation elston. I am with you on the not being able to adjust to anything but the real butter. Butter is butter. But, I have found I can use quite a bit less in my mashed potatoes and don't really even notice it. Of course if you like to "puddle" it in the mashed potatoes you deserve that little puddle my friend. You have done so well and to deny yourself completely, I have heard, is as bad as trying "crash-diets". You set yourself for failure. You go ahead and have your little puddle of butter!
I was just going to post that. LOL Great minds think alike I guess.

Everything in moderation. If you cut everything out, when you are done dieting and "go back to normal eating" you will set yourself up for failure.

Enjoy your butter it has to taste way better than the chemical diet stuff.

ETA: Congrats on your weight loss so far. You are doing Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You are too easy! What an old softie! Thanks.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times
Elston I use Smart Balance and it is a sad substitute. You are right as it does not melt. I use it in some things but I too prefer butter.
The non-fat evaporated milk is what I use in my corn chowah and noone can tell the difference.
Keep your butter and make up for it in another area.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Although it has no trans fats, Smart Balance has the same amount of calories, I believe, as butter. Dr Oz, the heart surgeon, on Oprah said that "at least the body recognizes butter" as real food, unlike the fake, chemical laden, margerines. I still use a little butter when it's important, instead of mindlessly smearing other yellow stuff.
I have not found any of the margarine or fake butters that will melt nicely. I even put I can't believe it's not butter on a potato nuked it again and it still didn't melt! I figure all my grands ate real butter lived to their 80's or 90's so I use it. Just modify the amounts if needed.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:29 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I have not found any of the margarine or fake butters that will melt nicely. I even put I can't believe it's not butter on a potato nuked it again and it still didn't melt! I figure all my grands ate real butter lived to their 80's or 90's so I use it. Just modify the amounts if needed.
When I first learned about transfats was when I switched to real Butter; I knew it was saturated fat and not good for chloresterol levels but at least it was "real food" and not toxic.......but I liked it all to well and started using it for everything and too much of it at that.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My father used evaporated milk for mashed potatoes, his coffee creamer and in "corn chowdahs"....it really gives things a richness....I havent thought of using the low fat or non fat canned milk.....I assumed it would be watery....I will give it a try. thanks for the tip......now about the puddle of butter I like with my mashed potatoes.....
Have you tried those spray butters? It would trick your taste buds into thinking you were getting a puddle maybe. Just spritz your pile of potatoes on your plate with it.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
Elston, you can use butter. I use sweet butter for everything. Since you did such a great job losing all that weight, could you please send me 10 lbs?

M: get plenty of rest and plenty of liquids.

MTH: so glad you are feeling better.
I made the same mistake 2 years ago, I ventured into the EPI forum and I was so excited. It was the first day I saw my Italian cookbook in print, and went on the forum to share my joy. I was so appalled by the comments and the names that I was called, all anon. of course. I can't even print them here, that is how vile they were. I could not believe the mods. didn't do anything, so I just left. I stayed away from forums until I was invited to CCOA, which was very kind and polite like cd. I like the fact that here everyone is there for one another. Thank you foodie friends I'm going to stay here. The grass is much greener on this side. kelsie

Still don't know what we are having yet.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I will have to get used to the smart balance....I bought some....but have not been really able to adapt to the no butter....we used a lot of real butter.....the smart balance doesnt seem to melt when spread on toast does it melt? I have been getting used to eating anything like bread without any spread or with non fat cottage cheese.
We use a lot of smartbalance. It melts. You can get it in several consistencies. We use it in stick and tub. Wife makes a mean grilled Velveeta sandwich with it. It also lowered my lipids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink