Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to make shepherd's pie for the first time and lamb curry.

You're supposed to "mince" the lamb, but I just chopped it up. I think I need a better knife and more patience to do a proper mince. The lamb is wet in the pan now. I put in all of the chopped-not-minced lamb in the pan with the carmelized vegetables and it "sweated" a lot of water instead of getting sizzly.

I put the lamb bones w/some meat back in the fridge with some curry powder and salt on them. I'm going to make some sort of stew with them after I get the taters out of the pot. Wish me luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,165,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
VP do you have adobo seasoning? Just season it well and grill.
Yes! Yes I do. That's an idea. I've got TWO bottles of that!

Crazy.......I'll go with Lacey for the london broil. You got the wings!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:00 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times
OK VP but next time you are out stock up on that soy sauce.........LOL

Make sure you cut it at an angle though and don't forget to enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:11 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

You're supposed to "mince" the lamb, but I just chopped it up. I think I need a better knife and more patience to do a proper mince. The lamb is wet in the pan now. I put in all of the chopped-not-minced lamb in the pan with the carmelized vegetables and it "sweated" a lot of water instead of getting sizzly.

I put the lamb bones w/some meat back in the fridge with some curry powder and salt on them. I'm going to make some sort of stew with them after I get the taters out of the pot. Wish me luck.
I am at a loss with any kind of lamb but there is no doubt someone will come to your resuce!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
In Japan we ground our own seseme seeds (goma) into a paste at the table with a small pestle and a ceramic bowl and mixed it with a sweet Tonkatsu sauce for dipping and had large amounts of shredded raw cabbage.
They have a handy-dandy sesame grinder that's basically the same concept as pepper grinder. I haven't seen it here, though. I may ask my mom to send me one. I've never mixed ground sesame with tonkatsu sauce but it sounds so good, I'll try it tonight. I'll use a coffee grinder which I use for things other than coffee.(I have two separate ones, one for coffee, another for nuts, flex seeds, etc).

Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I am at a loss with any kind of lamb but there is no doubt someone will come to your resuce!
Yes, that happens to me sometimes when I try to "brown" meat.
Well, now I have started the curry and I'm eating the mashed potatoes. yummy! The not-really-minced meat+sauce is bubbling away on the stove now.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,675 times
Well the snow is really comming down now.

I'm not looking forward to my husband driving home in this. Luckily he'll be driving later tonight so not as much traffic.

Pork chops are defrosting, hopefully I'll feel up to finishing supper later.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Tonight is easy, breezy. Burgers with baked beans, doctored up with brown sugar and onion. Tomorrow I'm baking a couple of batches of cookies to get in the mail, so tonight I'm going with simple.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Sheperd's Pie is an English dish, and in UK "minced beef" is what we would call ground beef. So if you couldn't find ground lamb, I would've put the meat in the food processor.

Also, lamb is very fatty, so are you sure the sweat liquid isn't mostly fat you could drain?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Sheperd's Pie is an English dish, and in UK "minced beef" is what we would call ground beef. So if you couldn't find ground lamb, I would've put the meat in the food processor.

Also, lamb is very fatty, so are you sure the sweat liquid isn't mostly fat you could drain?
Thanks! Hmm, so mince is just ground beef? Ah ha. Well, next time I will try. I want to get a food processor one day. . . maybe next year.
I chopped the pieces myself, so it's not fat. Otherwise, I would have had a chance of browning the lamb, maybe. It's liquid. There was so much that the lamb started to cook instead of browning.
Well, do you think it will be okay with lamb pieces. I'm cooking it in the sauce for a while to try to get it tender. . . Also my husband does not drink Alcohol, so I skipped the wine. I didn't have any worstershire sauce, either. LOL I put a little molasses and vinegar in. Is the sauce supposed to taste sweet/sour? I just put in a bit, so it tastes savory.
I've never tasted it before
*ps, I avoid buying ground beef/lamb bec. one of my old coworkers used to work in a meat packing plant! ewww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink