Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,796,550 times

Advertisements

Tonight we had strip steak, creamed corn, and garlic mashed potatoes......

and for a midnight snack I'm finishing off the pumpkin pie

Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Tonight I tried making home made Italian wedding soup. I actually did nearly all the prep last night, so tonight was just a matter of putting it all together; chicken stock from the chicken breasts yesterday, the meatballs (I used beef and pork sausage because I had them, but to do it over again I think just beef would be better) and I used spinach instead of escarole. Saw some recipes that called for a dropped egg, but that wasn't a familiar preparation to either myself nor my wife, so we went with pearl pasta and parmesan cheese.
I love Italian wedding soup! My friend's mom used to make it with tiny peppery meatballs and escarole and orzo(?) pasta. I've seen a recipe that calls for "egg cover", but I've never had one with eggs.

Tonight's tequila lime chicken was good. I ate really early because I wanted to go to Gym at 5:30 to take a class, so I got so hungry around 7:30, opened a can of menudo, added onions, cilantro, oregano and lemon. Ate it with worm corn tortillas! So yummy, but no one else in my family likes menudo.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
He is near John Hopkins. His mother being in healthcare has already started pushing him for second opinions and the best care available. I am sure he will seek the best available. More tests have already been run and more to come. Thanks so much for caring. That goes for all of you my friends. We should be having chili shortly. Expecting the wife to come in most any minute now.
Oh, that's wonderful news. It's hard enough dealing with a diagnosis like that without having to travel halfway across the country to reach top-quality care. People heal better when they're close to the comfort of home.

Noma, we'll appreciate hearing just as much as you feel comfortable sharing in the weeks to come. We'll help you carry as much of the burden as we can. I keep remembering the quote from Spider Robinson's Callahan series of books: "sorrow shared is sorrow divided, joy shared is joy multiplied." We're here when you need us.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
A long day for many people here, I see. I suspect that a lot of us, particularly those of us who are parents, will have a hard time sleeping tonight as we think of Noma and his family.

I've done my best to tire myself out, though, having worked a loooong day, then came home and made about 350 fruitcake cookies for the big cookie party this Saturday. They go fast, but 350 cookies takes a while no matter how quick they are. They were quite a hit last year, and I expect most to disappear. Including, of course, the half-dozen or so broken ones that I can't possibly take to the party.....

Spouse made lentil soup tonight; good solid warm comfort food for a cold, cold December night. He dropped a couple of the dried Cayenne peppers he grew and dried two summers ago into the pot, and we were quite nicely warmed up as a result.

And since it's past 11 and I still need to finish cleaning up after my latest cookie project, I'll wish you all good night.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Just a frozen pizza. Too busy keeping these "young uns" in line to do anything else.

Last edited by bjh; 12-05-2008 at 12:41 AM..

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,389,111 times
Last night it was time for "Peasant's breakfast" (like an omelette):
slices of potatoes fried in a bit of oil
3-4 eggs mixed with salt and pepper
salami in cubes, onion cubes and pickeld cucumbers in cubes - fried in some oil
in shallow pan: put egg mixture in it, add potatoes on top of the egg, scatter the salami/onion/cucumber mix over it all, put a slice of cheese on top and bake till eggs are not liquid anymore. Take out of the pan and fold in half.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
It's not a cooking night for me. I have a wake tonight and am doing crazy drop offs with the kids.... have to meet hubby with them at his work- I will feed the kids something in the car on the way.... because he will be taking Diva to a birthday party, & he and the little one will be heading to his parents to kill time while he waits for diva's party to be done where he will probably get fed by the Itialian Mama....

I have one of those days where I will just NOT be home.... I will not be chatting with you all.....I have to go do my PTA bit in the AM, drop off my little chatterbox to PreK, head out with a friend for lunch and on a mission to find some jewlrey for that smokin' dress I am wearin' tomorrow, to Lowes for some painters caulk, then pick up the little one, head home fill up some of hubby's molding mistakes, shower and dress for the wake....and head out..... have to go full throttle chipmunk-espresso-mode today....

So unfortunately.... this is it for today.... I will catch up with you all this weekend.... Enjoy your day....

Nomad I am thinking of your family and praying....

Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Morning foodies.

I'm behind everyone else cuz I cooked the turkey this week too. Long story
Anyway......hubby will have hot turkey sandwich tonight and I willl have cold turkey on Rye with Cranberry sauce.

I leave for maine tomorrow and hubby will be here by his self so I got him TV dinners and easy stuff like hot dogs and steak for sandwiches.

Have a great day all.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Yesterday, at around 3 pm or so, our water pressure dropped to zip. We are on a well and I knew there was something definately wrong. Our dear neighbor came over and the problem was down at the bottom of the well. Thank God for our neighbor---the people here, being it is so remote, have learned to take care of their own things through trial and error. He and my DH pulled the lines out of the well and our neighbor had to do some new wiring and just after dark the well was once again up and going. We are so blessed to have such kind and caring neighbors. Through this experience my DH now knows how our well works and will be able to do our repairs...yes!! We ended up eating late, about 8 pm but we still had the meatloaf which hit the spot after working out in the cold all afternoon/evening!
Still no idea about dinner tonight...will have to figure that out and post it later.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Cyn my parents too have well water and that has happened a couple of times to them also.
Great neighbors you have.
Didn't have the scallops last night because we went out. Margaritas were great until I had to get up this morning. Sooooooooooooo scallops tonight.
I have to cut up and marinate 20 lbs. of chicken wings today for our family Xmas party tomorrow. The end product is great but it is a pain as I cut the tips off and cut the wing in half.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink