Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times

Advertisements

burdell glad you had such a good cook for supper!

nik hope you did enjoy your company at dinner even if the food choice wasn't your favorite. I know what you mean about liking to eat foods that you don't normally cook or have all the time when going out though.

MWBW everybody was probably busy baking and candy making sorry we weren't here to chit chat with ya. I need to get busy and wrap but will have to wait until the kids are in bed now since I just got all my shopping done a couple of days ago. Been too busy baking to do it today. Never have tried fried sweet potatoes hmmmmm.

Lacey glad you have grands that tell ya how special you are and remember to call!

techienomad we are about due for biscuits and gravy around here too.

vpcats we never have seafood here for company parties I am jealous.

Debsi now how would we know you would think Nomad's dinner was up your alley?

molochai glad you got a good report from your doc!

jimj sorry about your deseart boo boo but I can't help ya since I have never made chocolate ravioli sorry. I know somebody here will chime in with their knowledge.

1 eyedjack did you put your cheese on the tuna sandwich or eat it on the side? I never thought about putting cheese on a grilled tuna but sounds like I better try it huh?

Well we are about half way done baking cookies have 4 different kinds (double or triple batches) with 3 more to go. Got the double batch of PB balls made and rolled waiting on tomorrow to be bathed in melted chocolate. There will be a lot of diving into chocolate tomorrow with Ritz bits, pretzels, peanuts and a few other candies to be made. Chex mix is done.

Our power has stayed on since my last post yeah! Kids said we have a lot of limbs down all over the property but I told them they will lay until warmer weather. Found out tonight from a friend there is a local carving group near me! After Christmas I will contact them to see about having something made out of the Bradford pear. All that I have told that to says that is a wonderful idea see how wonderful each of us are on this thread in lifting up and sharing? I need to go rep somebody for that idea huh? Down to about 1,600 still without power guess our local electric company planned ahead for this storm and called in help from some southern states so there are a lot of crews out in this mess.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
PS: I'm having beef lomein noodles tonite----keep the cat jokes to a minimum pleeze
Honest to gosh I had lunch in a Chinese restaurant today and heard a cat meowing. Don't know if it was someone's joke or ????

Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I want a full buffet of chocolate and coconut cream treats and I want it now. Oh well I got that off my chest and will now venture into the kitchen for the after dinner brownie.
I want one of those chocolate fountains you dip marshmallows in at buffets and catered events!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I want one of those chocolate fountains you dip marshmallows in at buffets and catered events!
Me too. That would be a nightly after dinner gathering spot I am sure.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sterlingirl, I'd pour some of that jam over a block of cream cheese and break out the ritz crackers Yum!!

MWBW, While a foot or two of snow around here is really no big deal to the people who've lived here a while it always amuses us how the people who are either A. Tourists or B. Moved here recently like during the summer because they thought it was soooo beautiful and didn't realize we do get winter and it lasts about 9 months.
The ugly side is rearing it's head again, we're suppose to go subzero again tonight and for the next few days.

Ok, confession time. I had my first desert boo boo (in about 25 years) tonight. I was making those dang chocolate ravioli, got the pasta part done and tried to make the filling. Brought the milk to a boil according to recipe, poured some in the egg yolk/sugar mix to temper and then added that back into the hot milk. It then said to heat it until it coats the back of a spoon.. (never did understand that part) but always watch for it to thicken then I pull it off the heat.
Well, it turned to a cottage cheese looking thing so I guess it broke. I tossed it and tried again and pulled it earlier and it still broke a little bit. I'm supposed to let it chill and then fold in a 1/2 lb of melted chocolate and a 1/4 cup of tequila (paying attention now Nomad?). It doesn't seem to be thickening (I haven't added the chocolate yet) and I was kind of wondering if the chocolate will tighten it up since it's supposed to be pipeable like a normal ravioli filling. Can't believe I've broken one if not TWO fillings so far..
Well it's off to bed with me, I'll see in the morning if the "custard" has stiffened enough for my liking, otherwise heeeere goes try number 3. I'm nothing if not stubborn!
I don't "like" wasting all that egg and milk but I will NOT waste my good chocolate so I won't add it until I know the base is correct!
To temper, put just a small amount of the hot in the cold and probably use a whisk to get the air through and to cool/heat...then just a little more...repeat...and make sure what is on the heat is not simmering or boiling, maybe in a double boiler would be safer, would take longer, but safer and no waste....when coats back of a spoon..if you stick spoon in it, will stick, not slide off...probably just want it to stick, not thick....wishing you luck...nothing worse than a sauce that breaks....or if it does again, use the whisk throughout, but just a teaspoonful of hot water and the whisk might help bring it back together, works for hollandaise...

Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hmmmmmm, hot AND sweet???..............Hmmmmmmmmmm.....
Should we start teasing about it now, or save it for the next time he misbehaves?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:24 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Morning all from a very snowy MN-to all that have this white stuff falling and accumulating stay safe.

Lots of delicious beef/veg stew left for tonight-perfect food for a day like this.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:29 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
While shopping later today, I'll be eating out this afternoon. Just what, I don't know yet.

Meanwhile, I'm debating whether to cook breakfast at home this morning, and I may do that. If I do, it'll be sausage patties, biscuits, scrambled eggs, and hash brown squares.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:43 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I am starting to think about meals for Christmas week when we will have company (eldest son and his family from SC) I think I will have beef stew and biscuits or corn bread when they get here on the plane......tired and adjusting to our cold....I can make that today and let it mellow in the fridge.......I have a large turkey defrosting (since Tuesday) in my fridge that I plan to cook up on Monday, that isnt so much for a sit down turkey dinner as it is to have for lunches and a supper during the week. I believe Christmas Dinner will be Lobsters.....Should look festive and be delicious and most welcomed. Christmas Eve......maybe NE clam chowder. Thats enough thinking....my son is an amazing chef.....lets see what he wants to cook up.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
To temper, put just a small amount of the hot in the cold and probably use a whisk to get the air through and to cool/heat...then just a little more...repeat...and make sure what is on the heat is not simmering or boiling, maybe in a double boiler would be safer, would take longer, but safer and no waste....when coats back of a spoon..if you stick spoon in it, will stick, not slide off...probably just want it to stick, not thick....wishing you luck...nothing worse than a sauce that breaks....or if it does again, use the whisk throughout, but just a teaspoonful of hot water and the whisk might help bring it back together, works for hollandaise...
Thank you for the suggestions! I think "break" was a bad term,curdled would probably be a more accurate description of how it looked. I thought about it all night long (I REALLY hate it when things like this happen) and I think it might be because I boiled the milk. Most custard type things I've ever made said to take it to "almost" a boil then temper. As for the "coating the spoon" thing, thank you I'll try it that way.
Dinner last night for me was cereal but I made Marinara sauce and spag noodles for my DW.
Almost time to start the ravioli thing AGAIN, if it doesn't work this time I guess I'll have to go with a plan "B" which is Macaroni Grill's flourless chocolate cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink