Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Tonight was stuffed green peppers, spinach salad and sourdough rolls.

While the green peppers were in the oven, I made an apple pie that I was going to put in the oven after the peppers came out. Well, I did not realize that I had dropped some apple peels on the flour...had the pie in my hand to put in the oven and slipped on the apple peels, the pie was promptly destroyed...

Hope you didn't hurt yourself!!!!!! You ok???

Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hope you didn't hurt yourself!!!!!! You ok???
Yeah, I'm fine thanks!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,411,229 times
That sounds bad.... I hope you are OK!

Katsmeeyow, how is the hubby doing??

Old 10-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post

Katsmeeyow, how is the hubby doing??
Better and Better! Thank you for asking!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Yeah, I'm fine thanks!

Pie got squashed, huh?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I'm fine thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Pie got squashed, huh?
Unfortunately it did...might try it again over the weekend, I've got plenty of apples from the apple tree in my backyard.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,726 times
Tonight's goulash with noodles. Will be setting up the crockpot shortly. Have a great day, everyone.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Morning all-Kats what a nightmare for hubby and you. Glad his doc took such quick action and hope he heals quickly.

Seattlerain-only thing hurt was feelings????

Going for the halibut and pasta tonight.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Yes, good morning everyone! Oh my Kat, how scary for the both of you and painful for hubby. Take care of yourself as well my friend...it's times like this we often forget about our own health! He needs you to be there for him so both of you take time to get through this.
Seattlerain, that would probably do it for me! I'd have sat right there on the floor and cried and most likely not even tried another pie for a year. Good for you to be willing to jump right back up and consider making another pie so soon! I cringed just reading your post! Ha!
Hubby grilled the pork chops last night and we had baked sweet potatoes with grilled yellow neck squash. A bit different from my original plan but delish! Tonight I really need to use my broccoli so probably chicken again. I have so much chicken in my freezer that I need to use some of it up. Think I'll just bake the chicken and have some mashed potatoes and of course the broccoli. I picked up some beautiful local grown peaches at the veggie stand yesterday so I think I will slice those up with a bit of sugar and top with whipping cream for dessert. They smelled so good and look so fresh I just had to buy them! Our neighbors have gone to their mountain home for the week-end where they have an apple orchard and have promised to bring us back a big bag, a bunch of fresh apples. Maybe it's time I learn to do more with apples! Open for any good ideas and recipes for apples! Wonder if they freeze well??

Last edited by cynwldkat; 10-17-2008 at 06:52 AM..

Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes, good morning everyone! Oh my Kat, how scary for the both of you and painful for hubby. Take care of yourself as well my friend...it's times like this we often forget about our own health! He needs you to be there for him so both of you take time to get through this.
Seattlerain, that would probably do it for me! I'd have sat right there on the floor and cried and most likely not even tried another pie for a year. Good for you to be willing to jump right back up and consider making another pie so soon! I cringed just reading your post! Ha!
Hubby grilled the pork chops last night and we had baked sweet potatoes with grilled yellow neck squash. A bit different from my original plan but delish! Tonight I really need to use my broccoli so probably chicken again. I have so much chicken in my freezer that I need to use some of it up. Think I'll just bake the chicken and have some mashed potatoes and of course the broccoli. I picked up some beautiful local grown peaches at the veggie stand yesterday so I think I will slice those up with a bit of sugar and top with whipping cream for dessert. They smelled so good and look so fresh I just had to buy them! Our neighbors have gone to their mountain home for the week-end where they have an apple orchard and have promised to bring us back a big bag a bunch of fresh apples. Maybe it's time I learn to do more with apples! Open for any good ideas and recipes for apples! Wonder if they freeze well??
We make these and freeze them wrapped in foil.

Pumpkin Apple Bread - makes 6 mini loaves
3 c. all purpose flour
3/4 t. salt
2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. ground allspice
1 16 oz. can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
3/4 c. vegetable oil
2 1/4 c. sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
2 Granny Smith apples, chopped, about 2 cups
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 6 mini loaf pans. In a large bowl sift the flour, salt, soda, spices. In another bowl blend pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs with a whisk. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture until well combined. Fold in apples and divide batter between the pans. Gently hollow out the center of the loaves and fill with this topping:
1 TB flour
1 TB butter, softened
5 TB sugar
1 t. cinnamon
Blend topping in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle some topping on each loaf. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick. Cool in pans on a rack for 45 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Keeps chilled 1 week, frozen for 1 month.

We also LOOOOOVE this one, my son totally pigs out on it! I use a Pampered Chef ceramic deep dish pie plate to cook this in.

"Apple pie is baked over a layer of caramel pecan, then the pie is inverted to present the caramel on the top."
INGREDIENTS:
1 pastry for a 9 inch double
crust pie
4 Granny Smith apples -
peeled, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie crusts, and set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside.
2. Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; spread in bottom of a 9 inch pie dish (glass or ceramic works best). Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cover with one pie crust. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
3. Arrange half of the apples in pastry lined plate. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Cover with remaining pie crust, fold top edge under, and crimp. Cut a few slits in the top to vent steam.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Loosen edge of pie, and carefully invert pie onto a serving dish. Serve warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.