Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I have no idea what goulash is lol. Denise - we're so glad you found a way to get one!
Me too, hehe.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
Our goulash growing up was always meat spaghetti sauce and instead of spaghetti noodles my mom used elbow macaroni and called it "goulash"

Tonight we have reason to celebrate...boyfriends job success and my upcoming birthday (the big 2-9!) on Saturday, so I think we are going to get the party started early tonight and either go out for sushi or Thai....and some much-needed cocktails. This week has been crazy!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Here nic. I'll post the recipe again. It's totally easy and really good. My whole family loves it and the best part is the leftovers are even better. Therefore you can make this dish a day early and serve it the next day as it only gets better!!

GOULASH

2 ½ -3 lbs ground round
2 onions chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic chopped
16 0z uncooked macaroni noodles
1 large can and one regular sized can of whole tomatoes
V8 juice to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Just fry up the ground round with the onions and garlic, (sometimes I add green bell pepper), salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and cooked macaroni noodles. This is when I add the V8 juice to get the perfect texture and flavor. Simmer for a bit.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Here nic. I'll post the recipe again. It's totally easy and really good. My whole family loves it and the best part is the leftovers are even better. Therefore you can make this dish a day early and serve it the next day as it only gets better!!

GOULASH

2 ½ -3 lbs ground round
2 onions chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic chopped
16 0z uncooked macaroni noodles
1 large can and one regular sized can of whole tomatoes
V8 juice to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Just fry up the ground round with the onions and garlic, (sometimes I add green bell pepper), salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and cooked macaroni noodles. This is when I add the V8 juice to get the perfect texture and flavor. Simmer for a bit.
Oh that kind of goulash!

In New England that is called "American Chop Suey"
and it is a standard; kids especially like it although some like the onions chopped really fine as some think onions are "slimy" if they are too big. I usually do add green pepper and it makes it delicious!

There is a real Hungarian dish called goulash, but it has chunks of beef and I don't believe it is tomato based.......don't really know. When I was a kid, my folks made another meal they called goulash; its best feature was that it stretched a pound of hamburg to feed a hungry family of 5. They scrambled up the meat and onions drained it and then stirred in some flour and added water and made a gravy and either served it with noodles and called it goulash, or ladled it over a mountain of mashed potatoes. We called that "volcanoes". That was birthday supper choice popular!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:50 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Elston-American Chop Suey is my kids birthday request food. I also add tomato soup, chucnks of velveeta and top with buttered bread crumbs.

I think authentic goulash is made with beef chunks, onions, sour cream,paprika.

Thanks all-you're getting my cooking juices flowing again.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM

321 posts, read 921,070 times
Goulash at my house growing up was always whatever Mom had for leftovers mixed with a few things tossed in that tickled her fancy from the pantry! Thanks Mom!

Nowadays my young son does love the American Chop Suey - they serve it weekly at his daycare.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Yes, there is an entire thread devoted to goulash here somewhere on this forum. Many different ideas and recipes. This of course is not the "real" goulash but it is what my family considered our goulash. I have heard others refer to this as American Chop Suey but not before I came here on CD. See, we learn something new everyday!!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Afternoon all, nic glad to hear that the chicken came out ok. Tonight is Survivor and lost night so we are having Nachos.

Jeffrey update, went to doc finger looks good. Have to go back next week to change bandages then in about 12 days he has to go the hospital to have the stiches out. (has to be sedated ick) But prognosis is good. Doc thinks that within 2 months we won't be able to tell he ever hurt. As far as feeling returning not sure yet. But so far so good.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,670,560 times
Thanks to all these food threads, I am getting creative with quick dishes once again.

TOnight is another meeting night, so must have dinner early.

Creamy noodles with a crispy chicken patty and peppered white gravy on top of that. Corn on cobb and french cut green beans round out the meal. Quick and easy and good. What more could one ask for???

Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Afternoon all, nic glad to hear that the chicken came out ok. Tonight is Survivor and lost night so we are having Nachos.

Jeffrey update, went to doc finger looks good. Have to go back next week to change bandages then in about 12 days he has to go the hospital to have the stiches out. (has to be sedated ick) But prognosis is good. Doc thinks that within 2 months we won't be able to tell he ever hurt. As far as feeling returning not sure yet. But so far so good.

Oh - I'm so glad you've gotten good news! This too shall pass!

Thanks for the help last night!

Cyn - thanks for the goulash recipe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink