Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 11:47 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Sounds like you drew the short straw.......LOL
I most definately did. But....my middle son really wanted to cook last night and I said nope (had a really long day) so I told him he could do it tonight so Dad is going to help him. He does better having the kids in the kitchen with him than I do. They just make me nuts and take all the fun out of cooking so he can have that joy.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Elston those chicken thighs sounded so good I'm making them tonite with wild rice, fresh asparagus (DH gets so tired of asparagus in spring but I can't get enought and I'm the cook!), biscuits.

Did you bake them at 350?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,669,583 times
Ok, I wanna make home made chili tonight instead of beef stew, anyone got a great recipe to throw my way???

Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Aiangel-I just brown ground beef, add a chopped onion, garlic, dab of tomato paste. I then add spices to toast-chili powder, cumin, oregano (just a little), hot pepper flakes. Stir a few minutes. Add a bottle of beer, can of beef broth and drained and rinsed kidney beans.

Corn bread-I add salsa and cheese to batter. Toppings-shredded cheddar or mexican mix, scallions, sour cream, salsa.

Yum-enjoy.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:48 PM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Elston those chicken thighs sounded so good I'm making them tonite with wild rice, fresh asparagus (DH gets so tired of asparagus in spring but I can't get enought and I'm the cook!), biscuits.

Did you bake them at 350?
Yes I did and they smelled wonderful as they cooked. I didnt have a recipe with amounts but I put a good amount of Dijon and maybe equal amount of honey and dipped the thighs skin side into the mixture. Toward the end of the cook time. (maybe 45 mins...they were big pieces) I drained off the extra juices....but that would be tasty as a sauce on rice!

Oh the biscuits sound good!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,669,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Aiangel-I just brown ground beef, add a chopped onion, garlic, dab of tomato paste. I then add spices to toast-chili powder, cumin, oregano (just a little), hot pepper flakes. Stir a few minutes. Add a bottle of beer, can of beef broth and drained and rinsed kidney beans.

Corn bread-I add salsa and cheese to batter. Toppings-shredded cheddar or mexican mix, scallions, sour cream, salsa.

Yum-enjoy.
sounds yummy. I am just tired of using the boxed chili seasons and want to do it from scratch..Had a great recipe, but can't find it and can't remember enough to try it.

this sounds great....especially since we are expecting 2 inches of snow and the temps is falling fast..

Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Nothing like chili on a cold snowy night.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
LaseyEx...I agree completely..there is nothing like fresh asparagus--I could never have to much!! I love it with anything and everything!!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times
It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring. . .

Weather like this makes me want s-o-u-p, so I put together an 8-quart pot of homemade vegetable/beef soup. I put a little olive oil in the fry pan, and browned about 1 1/2 lbs stew beef, chopped a sweet yellow onion, and added it. Diced two baking potatoes, and threw them in the fry pan with the meat and onions, to soak up the good flavor. This got transferred to the soup pot. I add vegetables we like, usually fresh frozen: sliced okra, baby limas, Italian green beans or pole beans, garden peas; sliced carrots and celery from the fridge. If I were making this just for me, I'd add sweet yellow corn, but alas!, my husband cannot eat corn.

For stock, I used two large cans of diced tomatoes, and some beef broth. I seasoned the soup with S&P, of course, bay leaves, some fresh thyme and rosemary.

And so, here I sit smelling this wonderful soup!

aiangel, you can easily make chili, Girlfriend.

You'll need 1-2 lbs of ground meat (chuck is a good choice, with just a little fat, but you can use leaner cuts, and even ground turkey -- don't tell, and they won't know! trust me). In a fry pan, brown the meat, add a large chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, and cook until tender. I also use a clove or two of garlic, run through the garlic press.

Season with chili powder, to taste. Add a dash of cayenne, and any other spices you might like, such as cilantro or coriander, dash of cumin. Add a small can of tomato paste. Stir well, and let just simmer.

In a large cook pot, or a crockpot slow-cooker, empty three cans of beans. I like a mix of dark red, and light red kidney beans, canneloni beans (if you can find them), or pinto beans. Add 1 large can of diced tomatoes.

Add the meat to the cook pot, adjust the liquid as needed -- another large can of diced tomatoes, and/or water or beef broth to suit your own taste. Adjust the spices, but be careful -- as it cooks, the flavors will meld nicely. If you can afford to let it cook all afternoon, it will be even better. Best yet, make it today for a meal tomorrow. I like my chili meaty, full of beans, but with enough liquid, too. Not quite like a soup, but perhaps a stew.

I serve the chili with sour cream and grated Mexican cheeses, on the side, and either a pan of cornbread, corn muffins, or those delicious Keebler cornbread crackers. Fritos are also good -- the dipping size. If you have avocados on hand, make some guacamole.

The more you make chili, and experiment with it, the better you can get it to suit your own tastes -- thickness, hot, and/or spicy.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Oh Elston-I so wanted your chicken and just checked the closet and NO honey-must've used it all when I last made wings. So chicken rhighs tomorrow.

Instead I bought Rao's Aribetta sauce and have some jumbo shrimp in freezer. That w/linguine and garlic bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink