Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times

Advertisements

I am rich. I have two ham hocks and a bag of dried beans. Maybe dinner tomorrow, no Tuesday. Already planning tacos for tomorrow night.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,935 times
Hmmm, I don't think I've ever had turnips. I do love carrots though and I've heard they are similar in taste no?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I am rich. I have two ham hocks and a bag of dried beans. Maybe dinner tomorrow, no Tuesday. Already planning tacos for tomorrow night.
mmmm....I love tacos! Do you get the corn tortillas and fry them up yourself?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Hmmm, I don't think I've ever had turnips. I do love carrots though and I've heard they are similar in taste no?
Not even close...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,756 times
Good evening everyone,Wow, you guys are chatty...so many pages. I've been busy cheering on our Arizona Cardinals and now watching PIT/BAL game. My hubby doesn't like sports, silly man, so it's our youngest boy, his friend and I who have been watching. I did manage to make good dinner, though. Roasted whole chicken, roasted veggie in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, smashed(not mashed) small red potatoes,I even baked a chocolate cake. Now I'm making a pot of chicken soup with the chicken bones. I want to make those gooey noodles for the soup, so I'll go google...

TTYL!!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Not even close...
Oh ok, I read they were similar with turnips being sweeter tasting.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Well, we tried Elston's tomato-braised pork chops tonight, and they are a real winner - thank you so much for sharing, Elston!

I added some nice beefy diced green pepper, as Elston's recipe suggested, and because I can't fathom cooking without onion, I diced up a smallish one and added that as well. I mistakenly grabbed the "chunky" variety of tomato sauce (the kind with diced tomato bits in it) and actually really liked what it did to the result. A shake of granulated garlic powder was the only other modification - well, and leaving out the salt, in deference to spouse's blood pressure issues.

The verdict was an unqualified double thumbs-up - a real success! Good balance of seasoning, and the sauce was excellent spooned over rotini pasta. And it's a very good choice for dieters and/or diabetics, with no added fat and minimal sugars. The pork was tender and juicy without its basic flavor being lost or overwhelmed by the sauce, and the sauce made a great topping for side dishes as well as for the pork itself.

I think that doing this another time, if I use the onion and bell pepper, I'd either reduce the amount of added water or eliminate it entirely; both the onion and bell pepper give up some water in the cooking process, so I tend to think that added water is not as necessary if those juicy vegetables are present. And the accidental grabbing of the chunky variety of sauce rather than the smooth type turned out to be a fortuitous turn of events, as the tomato chunks went quite nicely with the onion and pepper chunks. If I include onions and peppers next time, I'll definitely go for the chunky sauce.

Thank you so much for sharing that one with us, Elston! It's a real winner - fast, easy, low-fat and very, very tasty. I'll be making your saucy porkchops again!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
I am glad it turned out well for you! I dont know that I can claim it....in truth i think I got it from my ex wife....I hadnt made it that way in years......and the other day....was tired of dry pork chops and remembered it.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 PM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Oh ok, I read they were similar with turnips being sweeter tasting.
Turnip can be mashed with carrot...some like it that way as carrot is less strong than the rutabaga....and perhaps more sweet. They are both root crops and do compliment one another and blend well.....but turnip is a stronger and more cabbage-like flavor....

Old 01-18-2009, 08:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am glad it turned out well for you! I dont know that I can claim it....in truth i think I got it from my ex wife....I hadnt made it that way in years......and the other day....was tired of dry pork chops and remembered it.
Eh, wherever it came from originally, we learned it from you - so the recipe will forever be called "Elston's Chops" in my folder o' goodies! And at some point I may try it with chicken as well, the skinless kind that can so often be dry and flavorless as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink