Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 10:25 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,699,249 times

Advertisements

After last nights feast I'm at a loss for tonight so far. Pizza sounds good. Maybe just a plain cheese pizza. I do have lots of time to modify that idea still...

Old 12-28-2008, 10:26 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,336,358 times
My internet connection has been down for the last couple of hours..ugh! I was just able to send lacey a quick email and it went out again. I think, I hope they have it fixed now. Thanks to all of you for the ideas on the scalloped potatoes. Now to figure out which to try...they all sound perfect!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:28 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,066,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
Morning all! Everyone at our house has a cold. Dh is at the store buying cold meds. Not sure about dinner....thinking beans and ham hocks.
Sorry to hear that, it seems to be doing the rounds this Christmas. I gave myself a blaster of a drink to clear my head yesterday - put a small cube of fresh ginger in the blender with half a cup of water - whizz, then add a whole orange, peeled and cut into chunks, whizz again - drink. Powerful stuff - it really helped me!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:50 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,868,832 times
Cyn-got the e-mail.

DayTripper-take it easy and Southdown's cure sounds good.

Going to do a Case44: Dinner for the week is planned.
Today-hot roast beef sandwiches, fries for Mr. L.
Monday-Bar-b-cued baby back ribs, baked potatoes.
Tues. Pan seared scallops and linguine w/oil and garlic for Mr. L.
Weds. early dinner out
Thursday-a gorgeous hunk of prime rib, Jacques Pepin's smashed taters, creamed peas, salad.
Fri. Leftovers!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:31 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,336,358 times
Ok lacey...I'll even deal with that fridgid weather for some of that!! Oh my I'd be leaving 70 degree weather but oh well....those meals sound well worth it!

I may make up the scalloped potatoes early and then just reheat them for dinner. DH siad he likes them better once they have had time to sit for a bit. But I may not too! Ha! Depends on how I feel in a little while!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Going to do a Case44: Dinner for the week is planned.
Today-hot roast beef sandwiches, fries for Mr. L.
Monday-Bar-b-cued baby back ribs, baked potatoes.
Tues. Pan seared scallops and linguine w/oil and garlic for Mr. L.
Weds. early dinner out
Thursday-a gorgeous hunk of prime rib, Jacques Pepin's smashed taters, creamed peas, salad.
Fri. Leftovers!!!!!!!
Wow - very impressive! Iam am sorting out leftovers, cooking a chicken for later in the week and making some canberry orange jam, and cumberland sauce, with leftover fresh and canned cranberries to go with the leftover cold meat! Love leftover feasting!

Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,254,317 times
I' m flying in Lacey. Can you pick me up?

I grilled Hebrew National hot dogs while watching the Panthers/Saints game (got my Pathers shirt on), chicken salad and potato salad & the rest of the pepper salad from Christmas Eve.

Question for all of our great Standing Rib Cooks--we are going to have the second rib tonight which was roasted the other day. How do I warm this up without making it overdone. I have a lot of au jus left over.

Tomorrow I am making gravy (spaghetti sauce) and meatballs to make a platter of baked ziti for our dr. for Tues. Aside from split chicken breast and possibly lasagna I am not sure what is in store for this week.

2 min. warning Panthers 23 Saints 3 2nd. quarter.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 PM

Our refrig is not really big so not much room for leftovers-I have to watch what I make,etc. We have a freezer downstairs but didn't plug it in this year.

You are all welcome at any time!

Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I' m flying in Lacey. Can you pick me up?

I grilled Hebrew National hot dogs while watching the Panthers/Saints game (got my Pathers shirt on), chicken salad and potato salad & the rest of the pepper salad from Christmas Eve.

Question for all of our great Standing Rib Cooks--we are going to have the second rib tonight which was roasted the other day. How do I warm this up without making it overdone. I have a lot of au jus left over.

Tomorrow I am making gravy (spaghetti sauce) and meatballs to make a platter of baked ziti for our dr. for Tues. Aside from split chicken breast and possibly lasagna I am not sure what is in store for this week.

2 min. warning Panthers 23 Saints 3 2nd. quarter.
Kelsie that's the hard part for me-reheating it so it doesn't overcook, get tough. You could do prime rib au jus sandwiches on crusty bread.

Yes! I have the Panthers in the local pool. Our son lived within walking distance to the stadium.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post

I had the same fear for my leftover ribs... found a solution tho...

I took off all the bones and sliced the remaining meat (fairly thickly) and then packed the slices all back together as if stiil one joint. Then I wedged them upright tightly into a rectangular meatloaf pan, and stuffed all the scraps of tasty bits down the sides, then put a tight foil lid on top. This went into a hot oven for about 7 or 8 minutes, (think there was about 2 maybe 2 1/2lbs of meat in the pan) This was enough to heat the fat and the edges of the meat but not cook it right thu and destroy the pink centre. Served on hot plates with hot au jus, it was even better the second time around (so I was told )

BTW - The bones had gone into some stock and been simmered earlier to make the au jus/gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.