Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 07:09 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Morning all! Tried to post last night but one of my dear cats spilled a glass of water on my keyboard and it was not working. I dried it out as best as I could and this morning it is working fine! Whew!
Last night scalloped potatoes were yummy. Thanks for all the ideas!
Enough ham left to make some lima beans and ham and then it's all gone. It was the perfect amount. I will probably make the lima beans sometime this week. As for dinner tonight I am only on my second cup of coffee and have no clue. I will post it once I figure it out.

Hope everyone who has been sick is feeling better today.

MBW, you are far from alone in your feelings. We haven't decorated for Christmas in 2 years now. I haven't even unpacked all of my decorations!! We have crates still full in our shop/garage. Without little ones around to enjoy it all it somehow loses it's magic it seems. But now we go to the kids house and enjoy it all with them and less clean-up for me! I do miss it but I sure don't miss all the hard work that goes with it. I think it's pretty normal..you are far from alone!

HG, I am so very sorry for all that you have gone through this month. Especailly for the loss of your grandma. Make the best of your visit back home and enjoy those there.

Day 10--no smoking! I don't know if it's just me or what but my sleep patterns are really weird since I quit smoking. I have been staying awake until 11:30 pm and sleeping in until 7:00 am..that is unheard of for me. I'm usually asleep by 9:30-10-00 pm and up by 5:30-6:00 am. What's with that?? I am taking all of your good advise and going to continue using the patch for awhile. It's hard enough with the urges with the patch so I'm not going to do anything to mess me up now! I figure getting through 10 days is pretty good and it has just got to get easier soon. Days do seem long...........I was reading about how quickly your body starts healing itself and it is so amazing. It just gives me more strength knowing that!
I am so very proud of your 10 days! Congratulations. And YES, your body does start to heal and your lungs start to clean out all the nicotine junk.....everyday in everyway you are getting better and better!

Your sleeping a bit longer may be the result of diminished addiction....I know that I used to wake up in the middle of the night for a smoke.....you are getting better quality sleep.....and sleeping longer.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Big smile!! Thanks elston!!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
I haven't put up any decorations for 2 years now and last year I gave away every single thing I had packed away.

When my son was small I used to decorate a lot. As he grew up and then left home for school....no more for a few years. Also, the cats can't see a tree, balls, lights because they will jump and try to hang from it and I got tired of picking it all up every time.

The last few years I would decorate the outside of the house. Lights, lights, and more lights. One year my neighbor and I put up so many lights that it would light up the whole block practically. That was fun. One year my ex made a 9 ft tree out of pvc poles and we wrapped mesh lights all around. The dogs had fun getting inside of it. LOL.... This year I wasn't about to get up on the roof or on top of the trees so..........the remaining lights are still in the storage shed.

It really is not so much fun unless you have little ones around.

Cyn............10 days! Wow! How many mgs is the patch you are using? Don't stop it cold turkey. Try to reduce mgs every two weeks or each week depending how heavy a smoker you were and if you get down to the 7mg and want a cigarette really badly, go back to a higher mg. The physical craving is one thing and you should get over that although a little bit slower because the patch is still pumping nicotine into your system. It's everything else about the smoking that is harder to deal with so get over the physical as much as you can first. After, it will like cold turkey for a couple of days but it should not be as hard.

Keep it up girl!

Oh dinner...........chicken cutlets it will be.

P.S. My big dog dumped a whole glass of coke on my laptop's keyboard wagging his tail about 3 months ago. Some of the keys are still a little bit sticky.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Good evening foodies! We stayed in town after church longer than I thought we would. Didn't get to go to Applebees as half the couple we were going with was home sick. So we got pizza took it to their place and visited all afternoon.

jimj no Costco around our parts. We have some avocados in the grocery stores but they are an off brand and rock hard. They never seem to ripen up no matter how long I leave them on the counter. You did a fabulous job explaining scalloped potatoes BTW!

MWBW sounds like your MIL did what I call "shopping from home". I try to use up what is in our freezer and cabinets that we have stocked up for winter~~usually stuff falling out. Either in Jan or Feb so then I can unplug the freezer to defrost then wash it down good inside and out. Need it to still be cold outside as I sit the food in coolers out there while I do it.

daytripper colds just seem to have to run their course don't they? Feel better soon in your family.

Lacey I can make a weekly menu and I don't think I have ever stuck to it! Somebody around here always says "this or that sounds good" then I go off course to make it.

kelsie why do some of you on this thread call tomato sauce gravy please? When I need to reheat meat I slice it then set it in a pan, set that into a pan with very hot water let it sit on the counter for a few minutes then pop it all into a hot oven 450° right quick. Comes out hot and not dry at all. I of course pour over any juice or gravy so it is all heated up at the same time. southdown had a good idea too.

HG my condolences for your grandma's passing. Bummer you will miss the big get together with your friends have them take lots of pictures for you. There will be other concerts I am sure you will be able to go to though.

amber glad you had a fun time and you are back safely!

We had the rest of the potato soup for supper. One kid had ham with theirs. Not much else left in the fridge now so it will be back to cooking again soon. I will make the scalloped potatoes and ham probably tomorrow, that will be the end of the ham this time I think.

Hi Jaxson-I call it "gravy" when I make a pasta sauce with lots of meat-it's a NY/NJ thing-LOL. Sauce would be a plain marinara but gravy has beef, pork, veal, braciole. Does that help?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,533 times
Good morning. I haven't posted much lately...been too busy with holidays and getting together with friends/family,etc. Yesterday we moved the puppies to the family room, shampooed the carpet in the living room where we kept them before. Tonight my friend's family is coming over for dinner...I've made the chocolate flan cake and started the bread dough last night. Pork roast is rubbed with garlic/caraway seeds/salt&pepper and waiting in the fridge. Bought 3 bags of cole slaw mix instead of a head of cabbage and shredding it myself. Costs a bit more, but it saves me time and mess. I've decided to make sopapillas also, because some of my family don't like flan, but everyone loves sopapillas.

Lacey, your menu for the week sounds wonderful! Now a days I'm not good at planning ahead. I will get back to planning menu for the week like you do. It's such a time saver and stress reducer.

Cyn, I am so proud of you! Keep up the good work. We are all behind you 100%!!

elston, I am forever jealous of you and your lobster! It costs arm and leg here in AZ and I bet the taste doesn't come close to what you get fresh there.

We had BLT and tomato soup last night. Thanks to the post here on this thread. It was easy, yummy, and made family happy.

Hello to everyone here. I may not post as much and I do lurk now and then, you know. This is such a nice place to visit with nicest bunch of people!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
I make a motion that Elston should become the Lobster supplier to the C-D whats for dinner board!!! Who seconds the motion?
Heck I'd send a check for the lobdudes and 2nd day air shipping in a heartbeat!!!!
Anything beats the $30 a pound for FROZEN lobster or $35 for one at superwalmart.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Morning all! Tried to post last night but one of my dear cats spilled a glass of water on my keyboard and it was not working. I dried it out as best as I could and this morning it is working fine! Whew!
Last night scalloped potatoes were yummy. Thanks for all the ideas!
Enough ham left to make some lima beans and ham and then it's all gone. It was the perfect amount. I will probably make the lima beans sometime this week. As for dinner tonight I am only on my second cup of coffee and have no clue. I will post it once I figure it out.

Hope everyone who has been sick is feeling better today.

MBW, you are far from alone in your feelings. We haven't decorated for Christmas in 2 years now. I haven't even unpacked all of my decorations!! We have crates still full in our shop/garage. Without little ones around to enjoy it all it somehow loses it's magic it seems. But now we go to the kids house and enjoy it all with them and less clean-up for me! I do miss it but I sure don't miss all the hard work that goes with it. I think it's pretty normal..you are far from alone!

HG, I am so very sorry for all that you have gone through this month. Especailly for the loss of your grandma. Make the best of your visit back home and enjoy those there.

Day 10--no smoking! I don't know if it's just me or what but my sleep patterns are really weird since I quit smoking. I have been staying awake until 11:30 pm and sleeping in until 7:00 am..that is unheard of for me. I'm usually asleep by 9:30-10-00 pm and up by 5:30-6:00 am. What's with that?? I am taking all of your good advise and going to continue using the patch for awhile. It's hard enough with the urges with the patch so I'm not going to do anything to mess me up now! I figure getting through 10 days is pretty good and it has just got to get easier soon. Days do seem long...........I was reading about how quickly your body starts healing itself and it is so amazing. It just gives me more strength knowing that!

Congrats on your new life without cigs!.( I quit on March 20, 2008) It's
well worth it. If the patch fails you , try CHANTIX. It WORKS.
As far as food goes, I'm not sure yet. Maybe a cassarole..........everyone here still has the crud. I have to see who is willing to go to the store for some enchilada sauce..........Mexican Mess is on the horizon.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I make a motion that Elston should become the Lobster supplier to the C-D whats for dinner board!!! Who seconds the motion?
Heck I'd send a check for the lobdudes and 2nd day air shipping in a heartbeat!!!!
Anything beats the $30 a pound for FROZEN lobster or $35 for one at superwalmart.
Thank goodness I like shrimp better! That is so expensive!
I don't know how much lobster tails run here in Miami because I don't buy them. I really do like shrimp better. When my ex was here........his uncle was part owner of a nice restaurant here and every once in a while we'd get a box of tails from him with a huge box of the real big shrimps too.
The uncle passed away last year and the ex is history too, so sticking with shrimp for sure!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:10 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Good Morning all....

I see I am not the only one with no clue what's for dinner. I marinated steak tips the other night so maybe them but I have to go out tonight.
My daughter is at the Elizabeth Grady school to become an esthetician (sp) and she has to do 16 hours this week so tonight is free facial night so she can practice. Sadly (hehehehe) I will be a volunteer.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Congrats Cyn!!!! Keep up the good work!!! We are all behind you here....

VP... I have no motivation to put any of my stuff away... it is totally staring me down at the moment and I am turning a blind eye.... I know I need to do it at some point. I just goes up so much easier than it comes down.

Lacey... you are making me hungry

Elston.... you are one lucky man with all that lobster!

Nikkzone... CHOCOLATE FLAN- sounds amazing

Tonight is the BIG birthday blow out for the Old Italian Aunts... they are 90 and 94 so the whole Italian side is going to a local restaurant and having dinner to celebrate... so I don't have to cook.

Diva is spending the night at my BFF's house with her little one.... I have to go and drop her off in a bit. She is thrilled!!! It is her first sleep over and I am not nervous because it is like she is going to her aunts house.... I don't think I will ever be ready for the real kind of sleep over at a friend from schools house.... So, she has been upstairs picking out her clothes for tomorrow, what PJs to wear, packing her sleeping bag, her toys to bring.... oh it is a riot.....

Have a great Monday.... I am off.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink