Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:24 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Me? No. Never.

Recently, I had a craving for magically delicious Lucky Charms. I hadn't had them in eons (like, oh, I don't know, 40 years or so) so I figured (hoped) that I'd be disappointed and never buy them again. I remembered never having enough marshmallows in there -- they were pretty few and far between. WELL! I don't know if I just happened to pick up the MAGIC box, but there were so many marshmallows in there, the sugar high from the first bowl went on for hours. I almost wished that there were fewer marshmallows. Well... almost.
I bought Lucky Charms last year and ate them all in a day or two and went back and got another box...I had to make up my mind to STOP THAT.

They were so good, but they are so bad for you.

I never liked Cap'n Crunch, not even as a kid. Loved Cocoa Puffs, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
My college kids came home 3 weeks ago. We went shopping together and they picked out Frosted Flakes and Captn Crunch. Both boxes are about 1/2 full still.

I prefer granola cereal now. Or even better, a couple of eggs. With bacon. So the boxes will likely sit there until they are stale and get tossed, since they have left/are leaving soon.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:25 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Aside from that one impulse buy (Lucky Charms), Alpha-Bits is my go-to cereal. If I buy cereal, it's always Alpha-Bits. Everyone thinks it's quite hilarious because I'm an editor.
I think it's funny, too!

Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,810 times
Once or twice a year, I'll buy a box of fruity pebbles and get mad if my kids / husband eat any of it! I only like Cap'n Crunch without milk, so if for some very weird reason it's in our house, I'll eat a handful of it.

When I was a kid, one of my faves was Super Sugar Crisp. I think they rebranded it as Honey Crisp or Golden Crisp or something similar. I can remember being sitting at the table and that cereal would stick to my pajama top... always thought that was hysterical.

These days I prefer Special K, and we always have Cheerios as well.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:35 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
What a fun thread, although it is making me hungry and I have no cereal in the house!

I loved Sugar Smacks, Alphabits, and Frosted Flakes as a kid. I hadn't eaten them for a couple of decades when I tried them again awhile ago -- Frosted Flakes tasted exactly the same (yum! ) and so did Sugar Smacks (although they call it Honey Smacks now -- I guess they thought it sounded better than "sugar"), but they had changed the Alphabits formula and it was gross. (This was a few years ago.) I got a warning as it said something like "new and improved flavor!" on the box, but I should have known it would be just awful.

The good news is that I guess a LOT of people hated the new version, so they went back to the old. At least, the last couple of times I've bought a box (I think at Target -- my grocery store stopped carrying it), it tasted the same as it did when I was a kid.

I think I might need to make a trip to Target tomorrow ...

Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
No, I find those cereals taste much too sweet to me now.
Same here. Now I prefer Special K yogurt/strawberry or Post cereal- blueberry morning. Yum Chocolately, marshmallow sugary cereal makes my stomach hurt.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
I love the the huge shredded wheat cereal with no frosting on it. I like to keep either cheerios or corn flakes on hand year round. You can't beat a bowl of cereal late at night when "there's nothing to eat".

I had not eaten any of my childhood favorite cereals for years until just recently. I bought sugar frosted flakes and they were way too sweet for me.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
I'm not above eating a bowl of Lucky Charms at age 37.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
Haven't bought a box for about 8 years. I'm at the age now where breakfast has to consist of an egg, fruit, yogurt, toast, and wheat germ. Boring I know

Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,646,805 times
We usually had Corn Flakes because it lasted longer. On the rare occasion when the old man would buy something with sugar on it like Honey Comb, Quisp or Captain Crunch my brother and I would behave like hogs and eat the whole box in one setting. We wouldn't even use regular size cereal bowls,we would use our mother's cake mixing bowls. Then our dad would say " the Hell with that " and go back to buying Corn Flakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink