Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In that case, what say I skip the Froot Loops and have Three Musketeers bar?

Growing up, we only had a couple of choices - corn flakes, shredded wheat, or oatmeal. For a change of pace, sometimes Cream of Wheat.

When I was raising my boys, it was pretty much corn flakes, Rice Krispies, Cheerios. Once in a while, I'd let them pick a box of something super-sweet and strangely, usually ended up throwing out half of it. I once tasted one of those marshmallow things in Lucky Charms and never felt the urge to do it again!

My personal fave of sweet cereals is Frosted Flakes, but my purchases are few and far between. I do like Special K Cinnamon Pecan and usually mix it into my yoghurt. Or oatmeal and toast when I'm feeling not quite tip-top.
The "frosting" in Frosted Flakes is of course nothing but sugar.
And not even real sugar but the sugar substitute corn syrup.
Frosted Flakes is 60% sugar by weight much worse than even Froot Loops.
Like coating your cereal with cake frosting. They're not so g-g-r-e-a-t!

Literally type 2 diabetes in a box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:47 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,477,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post

Pretty sure that's why I love them. Mmmmmm sugar! Frosted flakes are darn good on ice cream too! Although to be honest I can't even remember the last time I ate them. Nowadays it's mainly an egg or fruit for breakfast.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Pretty sure that's why I love them. Mmmmmm sugar! Frosted flakes are darn good on ice cream too! Although to be honest I can't even remember the last time I ate them. Nowadays it's mainly an egg or fruit for breakfast.
I enjoyed the taste of Frosted Flakes as a kid but only had them as an occasional treat on Saturday morning. My parents bought them in those little single serving boxes so we couldnt
eat them every day. I had to eat mostly raisin bran or Quaker Oats.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:22 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Quote:

Well, I'm pretty sure that if Kellogg didn't think of it, some enterprising kid would have smeared the cake frosting on his cereal or just continued to empty the sugar bowl every morning.

Of course, we all, adults, that is, know or should know that an excess of sugar - cane, corn, honey, or sugar substitute - isn't good for the human body, as well as an excess of anything else. Perhaps that's the reason most of the posters in this thread have admitted to limiting their intake of super-sweet cereals to occasional, seldom, or not any more.

As for type 2 diabetes, I've made it to 79 and that's probably the only thing that isn't wrong with me, despite the now-and-then serving of Frosted Flakes. Simply eating sweets is not sure to lead to diabetes; there are other factors involved - genetics and obesity can also play a big part.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure that if Kellogg didn't think of it, some enterprising kid would have smeared the cake frosting on his cereal or just continued to empty the sugar bowl every morning.

Of course, we all, adults, that is, know or should know that an excess of sugar - cane, corn, honey, or sugar substitute - isn't good for the human body, as well as an excess of anything else. Perhaps that's the reason most of the posters in this thread have admitted to limiting their intake of super-sweet cereals to occasional, seldom, or not any more.

As for type 2 diabetes, I've made it to 79 and that's probably the only thing that isn't wrong with me, despite the now-and-then serving of Frosted Flakes. Simply eating sweets is not sure to lead to diabetes; there are other factors involved - genetics and obesity can also play a big part.

That's part of it. Some people are more prone to diabetes in the sense that even relatively moderate sugar intake can make them diabetic. But with enough sugar intake anyone can get diabetes regardless of genetics. Someone who drinks 3 or more cans of soda a day, has Frosted Flakes every morning and TV dinners every night is probably going to be at high risk for diabetes no matter what their genetics.

But if not diabetes excessive intake of refined sugar and carbohydrates may effect people in other ways depending on the person. And none of them are good: Weight gain, obesity, cavities, heart disease, impaired immune system, premature aging and sickness, anxiety, insomnia, depression and just general poor health.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Carbohydrates, even whole grain organic, are composed of sugar molecules linked in a chain. Digestion breaks down the starches into sugars before they can be absorbed. So a bowl of organic brown rice has about the same sugar as an equal weight of sugar, if one accounts for water weight.

I don't often eat breakfast cereals because of diabetes, but when I do it's a mixture of Cheerios, granola, and Grape Nuts. Milk and Splenda added.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
That's part of it. Some people are more prone to diabetes in the sense that even relatively moderate sugar intake can make them diabetic. But with enough sugar intake anyone can get diabetes regardless of genetics. Someone who drinks 3 or more cans of soda a day, has Frosted Flakes every morning and TV dinners every night is probably going to be at high risk for diabetes no matter what their genetics.

But if not diabetes excessive intake of refined sugar and carbohydrates may effect people in other ways depending on the person. And none of them are good: Weight gain, obesity, cavities, heart disease, impaired immune system, premature aging and sickness, anxiety, insomnia, depression and just general poor health.
The statement in bold is not true. Excess sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity, which is a risk factor for diabetes. But excess sugar alone will not cause diabetes.

Diabetes Myths: American Diabetes Association®

Old 01-06-2015, 04:11 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
cisco, while I do agree with you that excesses of any kind are not good for the body systems, I think you have missed a point of this thread - what sweet kid's cereals we liked when we were kids.

If you read through the posts - Holy Cow! Six Pages! - you'll see that most of us are more judicious about our sweet cereal intake now that we're older and understand better that indulging in all that sugar has some side effects that we'd rather forego.

While I like the infrequent treat, would you deny that there are many other things that contribute to less-than-perfect health but life would be pretty dull if all we ever ate was boiled chicken, kale, and whole wheat bread?

Moderation in all things is a pretty good motto. Of course, it doesn't mean that one will never get a cold sore, or the flu, or heart disease. There is no way out of here that doesn't involve dying, so while I'm here, I plan to live a little. And that includes - gasp! - a bowl of Frosted Flakes from time to time.

FTR, I do not endorse those crunchy little marshmallow pieces that some people find so appetizing. If I'm going to have a marshmallow, I want it to be one of those big honkin' soft and fluffy darlings, soaked, if possible, in a cup of cocoa. Now there's a sugar shock for you!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The statement in bold is not true. Excess sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity, which is a risk factor for diabetes. But excess sugar alone will not cause diabetes.

Diabetes Myths: American Diabetes Association®

The link basically says diabetes is caused by a combination of genetics, excess sugar intake and being
overweight depending on the person. Which is true but not always. Some people who are diabetic are not
overweight. Diabetics may be normal to underweight.

In this study diabetes is linked solely to the excess consumption of sugar sweetened beverages.
That doesn't mean you are automatically going to get diabetes from drinking soda.
It just means people who do drink a lot of soda are at substantially higher risk for diabetes
than those who do not. The more you drink, the greater the risk.
"It has been extensively shown, mainly in US populations, that sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs)
are associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes (T2D)"--
US National Institutes of Health

Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Spend some time reading labels. Even the adult cereals, like Special K and Bran Flakes, contain more salt per ounce than potato chips, and more sugar per ounce than Coca Cola. And they cost more per pound than most fresh vegetables and fruits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink