Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:14 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times

Advertisements

Russian food is underrated, but even the Russians will tell you they prefer Georgian food. Stuff is amazing. Definitely the most underrated food I've ever experienced. In my opinion, all asian foods are vastly overrated,me specially Korean, which I've seen pop up a few times here. Maybe I just know too many Koreans who only ever wanna go out to Korean restaurants and thus I've been overexposed... And also, regional American food is underrated. There are some really innovative food trends coming out of the states these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Meatloaf. Why do people go on and on about burgers but ignore meatloaf?

Creamed peas and new potatoes. 'Nuff said.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't. I've had excellent borscht, but every recipe I've used to make it myself has been subpar and not anywhere near as what Russians cooked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWVeMTBOnck

The recipe in the song makes great borscht. You may want to search for the lyrics rather than try to write them down yourself. Start with a big pot.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I love all types of food and place Indian, Vietnamese, and many other spicy and complex foods on a high pedestal, but I think that so-called 'bland' foods are underrated and get a lot of undeserved criticism.

Anybody can detect the palate exciting qualities of highly spiced foods, but in bland foods, the subtlety of flavor, quality, and especially the freshness of the raw ingredients is critical.

The problem is there is a lot of poor, flavorless bland foods out there. Cheap mac and cheese, flavorless cuts of factory raised meat, over boiled (or worse, canned) vegetables, etc.

On the other hand fresh garden tomatoes served with nothing but salt, a freshly caught trout cooked with a sprig of rosemary and squeeze of lemon, or a ham from a hog raised on acorns and bast.

Scandinavian and Spanish food, in particular, epitomize the esteemable qualities of 'bland' food.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Speaking of clams....these (baked) are delicious.

https://sweatandspicy.files.wordpres...9/dscf2799.jpg

Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
I don't think they are underrated,
I just think that some cuisines are very overrated.
Just because they are for the "wealthy" doesn't mean is the best.

An example of overrated is lobster,
If you have to dip something in butter to make it taste good.... it ain't good.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:45 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Butter, good old fashioned made from cream butter, nothing like it and nothing will take it's place in our kitchen.
Mexican butter! It's more yellow, richer and more flavorful. I have a sneaky suspicion that they are putting a lot more water in the common market brand than they used to.

Can't imagine going to the work to cook something good and not using butter.

I've come to appreciate American Depression era food. Have a lot of old recipes from cookbooks and Mom and MIL.

There was a time when I was discovering ethnic foods when I thought I'd had all the down-home food I'd ever want to eat again. But I've rediscovered it.

It's usually quick to prep as people were working too hard to take a lot of time cooking, usually calls for only a few ingredients and uses a lot of fresh veggies. And those women, out of necessity, learned how to make the cheapest, most humble things taste good.

Also the good, old Midwestern standard - casserole or hot dish. One dish meals. Hey, chicken divan is hot dish.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
All ethnic or regional foods are underrated in areas where there are few people of those ethnic roots or from that region.

The opposite is sadly true as well. In areas with a proliferation of any certain ethnic group, their food will be OVER-rated in that area, as it is comfort food for them, but likely nothing special for outsiders.

And what is all this love for borscht? Surely those posters enamored with it were raised on it as a comfort food?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't think they are underrated,
I just think that some cuisines are very overrated.
Just because they are for the "wealthy" doesn't mean is the best.

An example of overrated is lobster,
If you have to dip something in butter to make it taste good.... it ain't good.

It's not a matter of making it good, it's a matter of making it better.

I could eat shrimp all by itself but it's a whole bunch better dipped in cocktail sauce.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Boiled food.

A la, boiled chicken, potato, broccoli, peas and carrots.
Oh, my...not a fan at all.

About all I boil are eggs and pasta. To each his/her own, though!

Any vegetable that one could boil, I much prefer raw, steamed, grilled, or roasted.

I can't think of a meat I prefer boiled over some other preparation (except the beef in Cincinnati Chili...it has to be boiled v. browned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink