Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
In my opinion, all asian foods are vastly overrated,me specially Korean, which I've seen pop up a few times here. Maybe I just know too many Koreans who only ever wanna go out to Korean restaurants and thus I've been overexposed...
Hah, my husband has been stationed in S. Korea numerous times, and says the same thing. He's just "all Korean fooded out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
West African, specifically Nigerian and Ghanaian!

Old 03-19-2015, 01:43 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,105,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
For Cuban, a simple to make introduction would be Ropa Vieja, a shredded beef stew. A search will yield many recipes, pick one that sounds good and enjoy.
This is my absolute favorite Cuban dish!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 01:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Mexican butter! It's more yellow, richer and more flavorful. I have a sneaky suspicion that they are putting a lot more water in the common market brand than they used to.

Can't imagine going to the work to cook something good and not using butter.

I've come to appreciate American Depression era food. Have a lot of old recipes from cookbooks and Mom and MIL.

There was a time when I was discovering ethnic foods when I thought I'd had all the down-home food I'd ever want to eat again. But I've rediscovered it.

It's usually quick to prep as people were working too hard to take a lot of time cooking, usually calls for only a few ingredients and uses a lot of fresh veggies. And those women, out of necessity, learned how to make the cheapest, most humble things taste good.

Also the good, old Midwestern standard - casserole or hot dish. One dish meals. Hey, chicken divan is hot dish.

I actually use butter made by the Amish or I get Irish Butter.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
Somali

Old 03-19-2015, 03:00 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Boiled food.

A la, boiled chicken, potato, broccoli, peas and carrots.
IMO, boiled potatoes are tastier than fried.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I can't think of a meat I prefer boiled over some other preparation (except the beef in Cincinnati Chili...it has to be boiled v. browned.
A tough piece of meat you prefer not to be boiled (or braised)? I, too, love a grilled porterhouse, but a slow cooked pot roast braised with a generous splash of orange juice until fork tender, smothered in a gravy made with the fatty, caramelized orange goodness in the pot... Mmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
IMO, boiled potatoes are tastier than fried.
Like with meat, it depends on the type of potato. Boiled small potatoes served with melted butter and dill... This thread is making me seriously hungry.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:24 PM

79 posts, read 92,469 times
Ethiopian, Iranian and Greek. Fantastic!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Why does everyone focus on exotic foods? When I think of under rated foods, I think of things all around us that nobody thinks are gourmet foods. It's kind of like escargot. They are just snails baked with a little garlic butter. In most parts of the USA you can pick them up in your back yard.

Crawdads. They may be mud bugs in the south, but in clear mountain streams they are fabulous tasting fresh water lobsters. Toss a little road kill in a creek and you can pick up a family meal in less than an hour. Boil them in salted water, dredge them in a little lemon butter, and you have a meal fit for a king.

Potato salad. The world is full of mediocre potato salad. If you buy it in the store you are lucky if it is even edible. Make your own. The secret is to sprinkle a little cider vinegar over the potatoes after you cook them and before you add any other ingredients.

Currants. These tasty little grapes are an incredible cooking condiment. You can add dried currants to a rice pudding, or pour some red currant wine into a pot roast. The flavor will be divine.

Of course, there is always pho.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,977 times
boring healthy food like fruits and vegetables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink