Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 10:58 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's mainly my husband. Sour dough is supposed to have a better glycemic rating, so I eat a bit more, but my husband woofs it down. He has no blood sugar issues. My pizza dough is half whole wheat flour with ground flax added in, and I make a whole wheat in the bread maker. I WANT to make pasta, but shouldn't, so I haven't bought the equipment. My sister whips up really good pasta though. I made bisquits the other night. They were my first.
Rolling pin and knife:>) A bottle will do in a pinch.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:38 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's mainly my husband. Sour dough is supposed to have a better glycemic rating, so I eat a bit more, but my husband woofs it down. He has no blood sugar issues. My pizza dough is half whole wheat flour with ground flax added in, and I make a whole wheat in the bread maker. I WANT to make pasta, but shouldn't, so I haven't bought the equipment. My sister whips up really good pasta though. I made bisquits the other night. They were my first.
It all sounds REALLY good! Unfortunately, eating too much bread blows me up like a Macy*s Parade balloon.

I didn't grow up on pasta except the occasional spaghetti supper or egg noodles with gravy. Hell, "pasta" wasn't even a word. (LOL, I'm sure it was, but it wasn't in common use in the USA until the '80s.)

So, I've never really understood why people claim to crave it, but I guess if it is comfort food to someone, they might. I just remember reading that it's basically paper mache and that it sticks to the walls of your colon, and that imagery stayed with me.

But bread...I love bread...and sourdough is delicious. Eat some for me!

Old 05-07-2020, 11:41 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Rolling pin and knife:>) A bottle will do in a pinch.
True! Those old Italian mamas didn't have any fancy equipment!

Old 05-07-2020, 05:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Just as an update, the supermarket I went to today was fully stocked on American Beauty, but was still short on Barilla. I wonder if this is a sign of the pasta shortage slowing down, or if different supermarket chains have different supply chains for certain brands (our local Target has minimized American Beauty's shelf space in favor of Barilla and their store brand). The supermarket I went to today is Bashas', a local supermarket chain in Arizona.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Odd. I bought canned tomatoes and jarred sauce today.
Last time I went to the store - only tomato sauce, no diced or whole peeled. And weird brands I had never seen before. No tubed paste either.

I was looking for organic tomatoes, but no dice. I'll try my luck this weekend. Last weekend I saw a lot of toilet paper which was good. And a few bottles of alcohol at Target - but it wasn't the Target brand, a random generic in a smaller than normal bottle, that was expensive. I also noticed weird brands at Sprouts for canned foods. Supply chains are definitely off.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Just as an update, the supermarket I went to today was fully stocked on American Beauty, but was still short on Barilla. I wonder if this is a sign of the pasta shortage slowing down, or if different supermarket chains have different supply chains for certain brands (our local Target has minimized American Beauty's shelf space in favor of Barilla and their store brand). The supermarket I went to today is Bashas', a local supermarket chain in Arizona.
Memory lane - I've been to Basha's in the Lake Havasu area many times. Thanks for mentioning it, I haven't been in ages. We would re-stock our provisions when camping at Park Moabi for extended periods of time. Park Moabi isn't what it used to be 15 or so years ago - so we haven't been for many years.

Finally saw some lentils, barley, and beans on the supermarket shelves. No shortage of pasta selections, but canned soup display was spotty.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
No pasta shortage here. In any case, I probably have enough on my shelves to last until the Apocalypse.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:18 PM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Can not get white rice, since this thing started. Oh, well brown is better for us any way.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No pasta shortage here. In any case, I probably have enough on my shelves to last until the Apocalypse.
Lol me too. Plenty of elbow macaroni along with a few boxes of ziti and spaghetti. I finally got around to using the egg noodles that have been sitting in the cabinet.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:24 AM

300 posts, read 149,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
True! Those old Italian mamas didn't have any fancy equipment!
...but they had access to flour. I can't find regular flour (bleached or not), although I've only been out a few times when my supplies becomes low. I check each time for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink