Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times

Advertisements

Regular cheapo American tea bags are now gone from the big supermarkets.
Only decaf tea is left. No Tetley, Lipton, Red Rose, store brand, etc. Unless it is decaf. How strange is that?
You can find plenty in smaller stores.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:23 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Pasta & Mushrooms tonight❗️
Looks very tasty. I have that Corningware dish!

Old 05-05-2020, 06:28 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Here in my area, pasta is almost non-existent. the shelves where it's supposed to be are bare, and there's barely any sauce, either (except Ragu. No one want's that...). It had all sold out as fast as TP and paper towels and it hasn't been restocked even as late as this morning.
Pretty much the same by me unless you hit it when it's restocked. People are buying a lot of pasta because it's cheap. Same with ramen noodle soup. Very hard to find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
It's all about timing in my area for flour, pasta, and canned items.

Other items are slowly being stocked for anytime availability like TP, paper towels, meat, dairy, etc

Yeast....that's still scarce for some reason.
I posted in one of the other threads, there normally isn't much of a market for yeast this time of the year so they don't make as much. They're trying to make more to send to stores

Old 05-05-2020, 06:42 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Pretty much the same by me unless you hit it when it's restocked. People are buying a lot of pasta because it's cheap. Same with ramen noodle soup. Very hard to find it

I posted in one of the other threads, there normally isn't much of a market for yeast this time of the year so they don't make as much. They're trying to make more to send to stores
Curious as to what people use yeast for, other than baking bread, which not many people do.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:39 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I wouldn't say there is a shortage of pasta in general, but spaghetti and angle hair do seem harder to find these days while other shapes are still aplenty.

I also have not seen flour, including most non-wheat and/or gluten free types, for about a month now.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:49 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Curious as to what people use yeast for, other than baking bread, which not many people do.
Pizza dough, bisquits, etc. Sour dough making is a huge trend right now, and if you don't have starter you need yeast to make a starter.

Bread making has been a total pandemic trend. We had over 60lbs of various flours at the start of the quarantine and we are down to around 30. I use a breadmaker that was given to me, DH makes sour dough, and we do a lot of pizza crusts for the grill, then various bisquits, pie crusts and hoagie rolls.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2020, 12:20 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Haven't noticed, as my husband and I make our own pasta and have for a while. I've had no problem getting my flour (Cup4Cup, I have Celiac Disease) either.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pizza dough, bisquits, etc. Sour dough making is a huge trend right now, and if you don't have starter you need yeast to make a starter.

Bread making has been a total pandemic trend. We had over 60lbs of various flours at the start of the quarantine and we are down to around 30. I use a breadmaker that was given to me, DH makes sour dough, and we do a lot of pizza crusts for the grill, then various bisquits, pie crusts and hoagie rolls.
If you have nutritional yeast, they are very healthy just by taking a spoon a day with your food. The most B complex vitamins.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Regular cheapo American tea bags are now gone from the big supermarkets.
Only decaf tea is left. No Tetley, Lipton, Red Rose, store brand, etc. Unless it is decaf. How strange is that?
You can find plenty in smaller stores.
Just received two boxes of Luzianne Tea in my Walmart delivery .. and at a good price. The shortage muct be local.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:03 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I've started seeing people on Nextdoor offering to "share" some flour....obviously they bought like a 50# sack in a hoarding panic and now they regret it. Sad. One woman even wanted to "share" some of the 2# bag of YEAST she bought.
SHeesh.
Or maybe they bought a 50-pound bag because that was all that was available, with the intent of sharing it with friends and neighbors. Perhaps one should not be so quick to judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Pizza dough, rolls, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you
People were buying ANYTHING that was food. I saw a guy who had 8 bottles of salad dressing. No salads. Lady had a cart full of milk. Hell I estimated about 30 gallons of milk. Where EXACTLY are you gonna put 30 one gallon bottles of milk before they spoil? . Another guy has a cart full of meat. All kinds. No rhyme or reason. I guarantee you that guy didn’t have enough bread pasta or whatever helper to cook all that meat.
Some of those people could have been buying for group living situations, and that is the normal shopping trip. Again, you can't tell just by looking in someone's cart what their situation is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink