Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:52 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Two issues:

1) In many communities, pasta (and ramen noodles) were the targets of hoarders immediately after the toilet paper and sanitizers were done. I watched hoarders in Cincinnati and Jackson, TN Krogers stores grabbing every thing they could.

2) A significant portion of pasta comes from ...ITALY. I do not think that we will see too much imported in the coming year. If you want a good source of cheap pasta, a lot of pasta is made in Mexico and is in plentiful supply in ethnic markets.
Barilla I think is made in Italy, but the #2 manufacturer, Riviana Foods (who owns several regional brands), produces its pasta domestically, and a lot of the American Beauty (a regional Riviana brand) here has been selling out. I think AIPC (who makes most of the private label pastas) also produces its pasta domestically.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:00 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
The only things I've noticed being sold out sometimes in my area are disinfectants and bottled/jugged water. Sometimes the selection is a little thin on certain items but no real shortages. (The water purchasing thing is less stupid here than elsewhere - a lot of people don't have potable water from the tap at home, because we don't have city water and there's a lot of arsenic and other metals in the soil here, and some people also live in "dry" cabins that aren't fully plumbed. So if you're going to be stuck at home for weeks it is actually necessary to stock up on drinking water. Like, I ordinarily fill my drinking water jugs at work, but of course I'm working from home these days.)

I think there was less of a run on supplies here because most people keep a well-stocked pantry because the road does periodically get closed off, especially in winter. Also, there just aren't that many people.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:44 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Barilla I think is made in Italy, but the #2 manufacturer, Riviana Foods (who owns several regional brands), produces its pasta domestically, and a lot of the American Beauty (a regional Riviana brand) here has been selling out. I think AIPC (who makes most of the private label pastas) also produces its pasta domestically.

As of 2017, Italy produced over 34% of the pasta consumed in the US.
https://www.italianmade.com/usa/mark...her-countries/

Old 04-30-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
As of 2017, Italy produced over 34% of the pasta consumed in the US.
https://www.italianmade.com/usa/mark...her-countries/
That is because Barilla is the leading brand of pasta in the United States. Add in the other imported brands and it makes sense. These shortages aren't isolated only to Barilla; Riviana Foods' American Beauty brand is also facing shortages locally. Riviana produces its regional pasta brands (including American Beauty) domestically.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:04 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Pasta, orange juice (spotty), eggs-especially liquid, butter, meats, pasta sauce, flour, sugar, anything frozen, ice cream, cat food, bread (spotty), cheeses, shampoo, bar soap, shaving cream (?), laundry soap, bleach, cleaning supplies, toilet paper and paper towels, coffee creamer (although that's loosened up) are just the things I remember off the top of my head that are short or non-existent here.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:11 PM

6,371 posts, read 4,196,292 times
Pasta & Mushrooms tonight❗️
Attached Thumbnails
Has there been a pasta shortage where you live?-3ee848f5-c9ae-48c7-8bf2-57078cc2923e.jpeg  

Old 04-30-2020, 07:08 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, has there been a pasta shortage where you live?

I have noticed it has been much more difficult to find thinner cuts of spaghetti, especially the name brands (Barilla and American Beauty around here). I was recently able to score some American Beauty thin spaghetti, but I think I simply lucked out that day.

Has there been a pasta shortage where you live?
There was 'angel hair' (which I prefer) but most other kinds were gone, but that was weeks and weeks ago, I haven't been out for a while, except to get a deed transfer notarized for a piece of property I sold, and to get a part for my chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
In my area, stores have had trouble keeping flour on the shelves.
I got flour direct from King Arthur, at a price much lower than I could have got in the store...if there had been any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Toilet paper was back on the shelves but seems to be getting scarce again. You'd think that every household in America already has 2 years worth of tp, but apparently, they need more.
That's because there are an awful lot of people who are full of crap, and many of them are spewing a lot more these days, they need it to wipe their mouths.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
The shortages here in So Cal, I have only experienced at high-traffic supermarkets. I found a wide selection of pastas, including Italian imports, at the 99c Only Store. Delicatessens also carry imported Italian pasta, better than Barilla, actually. Strangely, my local Japanese markets also carry a selection of spaghettis, local and import. I guess it's a popular dish in Japan.

I was having the hardest time finding barley for weeks. The shelves for beans and rice have been sparse or bare - it took me a minute to go visit the international aisle at the local Kroger and I found a huge package in the middle eastern foods section (Sadaf brand) for under $2.00.

I ended up getting flour and rice at the Indian market - just have to get creative. Look where others don't, and you might find what you're looking for. I think this works for bigger communities, I realize people who live in smaller or more remote locations don't have as many options for shopping.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The shortages here in So Cal, I have only experienced at high-traffic supermarkets. I found a wide selection of pastas, including Italian imports, at the 99c Only Store. Delicatessens also carry imported Italian pasta, better than Barilla, actually. Strangely, my local Japanese markets also carry a selection of spaghettis, local and import. I guess it's a popular dish in Japan.

I was having the hardest time finding barley for weeks. The shelves for beans and rice have been sparse or bare - it took me a minute to go visit the international aisle at the local Kroger and I found a huge package in the middle eastern foods section (Sadaf brand) for under $2.00.

I ended up getting flour and rice at the Indian market - just have to get creative. Look where others don't, and you might find what you're looking for. I think this works for bigger communities, I realize people who live in smaller or more remote locations don't have as many options for shopping.
Speaking of rice, we usually buy the store brand, but this time we had to buy Mahatma since they were out of the store brand (interestingly Mahatma is also owned by Riviana Foods).

You can learn about Riviana Foods' (formerly New World Pasta) pasta brands here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Pasta

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 04-30-2020 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-30-2020, 08:22 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
I noticed it in Tucson, AZ. Sometimes the shelves are almost empty except for specialty pastas which are pricey. Other times it seems like normal. Now I am spending the next few months in a smallish town in Oklahoma. Just about everything is fully stocked. Pasta, toilet paper, you name it. I guess if you go through the yearly threat of tornadoes, you have better perspective on things like pandemics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink